Ford Wish List Indeed

ZanatWork

What I'd wish Ford to stock their dealerships with starting, oh, 2009-2010ish...

Ford-

B-car...this should NOT bother coming to market without quality, features, styling, and engineering rivaling the NEXT Fit. Small hatch and baby ute versions.

Five Hundred...lose the VW family profile, get some styling that doesn't wilt in the presence of a 300C. Similarly, get more juevos under the hood and start living up to what you should be...a bargain Audi A8.

Edge...SVT version, overall improvement to brakes and handling.

Escape...powertrain improvements, improved 4wd package to match rugged appearance.

Freestyle...my money has this becoming the next Explorer anyway...keep the power competitive, and give it a worthy "off road" package for people using it as more than a station wagon.

"People Mover"...hard to quibble without seeing the final version and its specs.

Bronco...somewhere in Ford's vast array of resources, there must exist a worthy platform for this stunning concept. No motors bigger than the 3.5 V6 (and/or a 3.6 diesel), let this name return to a lightweight 4x4 that climbs like a goat.

F-series...keep making better trucks with more capabilities and class-leading structure/interiors...but we'd like our horsepower bragging rights back. The new diesel is a must, as is the BOSS motor. If possible, so is a Jenny Craig plan.

Mustang...Shelby and BOSS versions already existing/confirmed join a new base/Pony/GT colleciton on a new RWD platform with far more flexibility than the DEW98 ever dreamed of.

Crown Victoria...gets updated Panther platform one last time.

Econoline...benefits from next-gen F-series platform rigidity and powertrains while introducing "rolling office" variants. Limited edition model released in conjunction with Gibson guitars and Marshall amplifiers is created for touring bands (hey, it's MY list!)...low cost, basic appointments, space configured around typical band equipment needs.

Focus...better be C2 by now, and RS and wagon variants should be in place.

Lincoln-

MKS...hoping that by now it has the twin turbo motor and/or a new small V8 keeping it toward the FRONT of its market pack.

MKLT...I consider this vehicle silly, but keep improving it as long as it makes money.

MKZ...this would be a great place for the MKS' twin turbo mill, and imagine the market's shock!

Flagship sedan...new rwd platform meets updated "Continental concept", powered by V8s up to 440 hp.

MKX...same improvements as the Edge, more exterior differentiation, more power than Ford version.

(see "people mover" for my take on that vehicle)

Mercury-

First and foremost...make me head of the division!

Montego...new rwd platform dressed in midsize sedan clothes, spec'd as true G35 sompetitor. "Cyclone" variant gets serious teeth from SVT.

Cougar...coupe version of Montego, longer WB and better appointments than Mustang.

Grand Marquis...see Crown Victoria.

S-Max...my list, my division, great people mover gets minor Merc makeover.

Mariner...gets stretched variant with 3rd row.

Capri...that's right, kids...coupe/convertible version of C2 Focus w/hardtop convertible (think C70) as top offering.

Mountaineer...dropped in favor of "Magellan" variant lf Explorer/Freestyle.