2008 Fusion hybrid spied

GT40 2

Remember, its going to use a mildly evolved\improved implementation of the Hybrid package in the Escape. Considering that the Fusion weighs a little less than a comparable escape, and it is likely more aerodynamic at speed than the escape, I suspect that the city rating will be about 2-5 mpg better and the highway rating will be a similar 2-5 mpg better.

Performance numbers for the hybrid fusion should be similar to the v6 fusion for 0-30 0-40 and maybe 0-50. 0-60 should start to show more of a disparity as once you get to those speeds HP becomes more important. I suspect that the revised hybrid powerpack will have similar HP numbers, which leaves the hybrid fusion at a 20 greater HP disadvantage than the escape hybrid has from its v6 couterpart due to the Fusion v6 using the VCT 220 HP d30 instead of the escapes 200 hp d30. The other thing that may hamper fusion hybrid performance in comparison to the v6 version when considering the escapes comparison numbers. The Fusion v6 has a 6AT behind it, the escape still lives with a 4AT tranny. Assuming that the Fusion's hybrid powerpack will weigh about the same as the escapes (which it may not, being a lighter platform, the powerpack may need less battery weight) than the fusion hybrid will weigh proportionally more than the Escape Hybrid does in relation to its v6 model. We just need to see if the powerpack was improved in any way, otherwise, I suspect that the hybrid may neatly split the difference with the I4 and the v6 for performance numbers, which still wouldn't be that bad.

Of course, I still will make the argument that, for the same component cost and development cost as the hybrid system is for the Fusion, they could have done the following:

1)Used a direct injection version of the D23 tuned for economy and the same power output, would result in a 10% more efficient power plant.

2)Incorporated some mild exterior aerodynamic changes to reduce drag.

3)Incorporated more aluminum and carbon fiber in the body and suspension of the vehicle

4)Used a CVT tranny for the 4 banger

This would result in a vehicle that weighs almost 200 lbs less than the existing I4, has less highway drag, has a more efficient engine, and requires less toxic chemicals to produce. It woulld likely better the Fusion hybrid in highway mpg by at least 2-3 mpg, and will also likely come very close to matching the hybrid for city mileage as the hybrid could weigh as much as 400+ pounds more than it does and weight is a big factor in city mpg. There would be no big battery worry in the future for the vehicle and with fewer parts to break, it would be less likely to require warranty service.

And, as another bonus, the same weight saving techniques could be applied to an SVT fusion as well. Its win-win all around. I know that it isn't as vogue as the hybrid is and that it would likely not be as marketable as a result, but, if offered as an alternative to a hybrid vehicle and advertised as such on its merits, people might see the light.

OFW: They could also make it a flex-fuel vehicle and really make a big deal out of that (as if it REALLY means a lot).... just to get those customers that are on the fence about a Hybrid to feel good about the purchase. Maybe have a little ear of corn light up on the dash when you're using 10% or more ethanol fuel! :hysterical:

Either way though, it's good to see Ford making a Hybrid sedan. I just hate when the media reinforces the idea that Toyota and Honda make the only hybrids available.....