Anyone From Chicago Alive and Kicking?

Xerxes12

Posted by: Xerxes12 Dec 28 2006, 11:41 AM

Is anyone visiting this forum from CAP? I realize many of us are totally wrapped up in the buyouts and the downtime in Chicago but maybe there can be some dialogue about our future here. There seems to be a lot of confusion about what's really going on at FoMoCo and if Chicago has a future. A lot of talented people are leaving CAP in the next 8 months, does it matter? Are we going to make it with the product line we are assembling? Is Ford advertising our product aggressively? It's definitely going to be interesting to see if Ford is truly wanting to sell the cars we produce or if it is more important to reduce the costs of labor and starve the dealerships of 500's, Montego's and Freestyles.

It seems that my original post on the 28th disappeared but that's ok. I copied the one I posted on the Chicago Employee Forum. I know marty95 replied to my original post. So marty what plant do you work at or should I do some research? : :read:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn Xerxes,

It must be New Years Eve since I see you have an adult beverage in your hand!!!!!!!!! After 12 I will join you.

Happy New Year!!! That wasn't an adult beverage but an ersatz tropical drink from our only trip outside the mainland in September 2005. I no longer use mind or mood altering chemicals but toast those who can responsibly! Have a safe and prosperous New Year as we try and keep our sanity during these coming months. :happy feet:

Yea both Chicago posta seem to have disapeared. Anyway I responded to your last post by saying.....

I beleive Ford is not pouring valuable ad money and exposure on the current Chicago 3 because they know they blew the first impressions, and are looking for a second chance.

They will try a re-introduction as such, looking for a second 1st impression, once the new versions are ready. If you know you struck out the first time why spend a fortune trying to sell cars that you know don't quite measure up. You adjust, and try again.

That's the plan, once the new designs are ready, new look-new engine, you go all out. You watch, when the 2008's are ready to move you will see the ad's, you will see the inventories build.

Also, I'm a 20-25 year Chicago Stamper, so I too have a stong interest in The Chicago Line-up. I beleive from those I talk to that as long as Chicago can be competitive, Chicago will be building cars, lots of cars in time. Working conditions are very likley to change. Work rules etc..etc...But cars, lots of cars are in our future. So, if we can just hang in there a while longer I see a strong future. :happy feet:

Yea both Chicago posta seem to have disapeared. Anyway I responded to your last post by saying.....

I beleive Ford is not pouring valuable ad money and exposure on the current Chicago 3 because they know they blew the first impressions, and are looking for a second chance.

They will try a re-introduction as such, looking for a second 1st impression, once the new versions are ready. If you know you struck out the first time why spend a fortune trying to sell cars that you know don't quite measure up. You adjust, and try again.

That's the plan, once the new designs are ready, new look-new engine, you go all out. You watch, when the 2008's are ready to move you will see the ad's, you will see the inventories build.

Also, I'm a 20-25 year Chicago Stamper, so I too have a stong interest in The Chicago Line-up. I beleive from those I talk to that as long as Chicago can be competitive, Chicago will be building cars, lots of cars in time. Working conditions are very likley to change. Work rules etc..etc...But cars, lots of cars are in our future. So, if we can just hang in there a while longer I see a strong future. :happy feet:

Happy New Year!! I'm also inclined to be optimistic but we can only do so much on the local level. If the company continues to make mistakes with their product lineup we will all be in serious trouble.

Happy New Year!! I'm also inclined to be optimistic but we can only do so much on the local level. If the company continues to make mistakes with their product lineup we will all be in serious trouble.

Yea, you have to worry about the company making mistakes, but what scares the shit out of me is the really stupid mistakes local management tries to force down our mouths. How hard is it to follow the set rules and guide lines Ford has established to run a company. Remember document what you do, and DO what you document. Just don't sugar coat it for the boys in Dearborn. I'm sick and tired of all the Dog and Pony Shows. :banghead: But on a lighter note; I'm very optomistic also that we are about to see the light at the end of the tunnel. If we all, and I mean ALL work together and do our jobs 110% ; I think we have a fighting chance to stay around, and prove to all the Ford bashers :finger: that they were idoits and should go cry to mommy; now that they can't say the word "bankrupt" anymore.

Yea, you have to worry about the company making mistakes, but what scares the shit out of me is the really stupid mistakes local management tries to force down our mouths. How hard is it to follow the set rules and guide lines Ford has established to run a company. Remember document what you do, and DO what you document. Just don't sugar coat it for the boys in Dearborn. I'm sick and tired of all the Dog and Pony Shows. :banghead: But on a lighter note; I'm very optomistic also that we are about to see the light at the end of the tunnel. If we all, and I mean ALL work together and do our jobs 110% ; I think we have a fighting chance to stay around, and prove to all the Ford bashers :finger: that they were idoits and should go cry to mommy; now that they can't say the word "bankrupt" anymore.

They have dog and pony shows at Chicago Stamping?!!!! I thought we were the only plant that cleaned and painted and brought all of our paperwork up to date before a visit or an audit!

Hello, a Chicagoan here... Here are some things I'd like to add...

1) Clue in the Supervisors as to what's really going on. Having uninformed supervisors is not good.

2) Hows about the big executives make unannounced visits? Why come by and NOT let CAP know you're coming, get the real picture, and clean house?

3) Hows about actually saving money, instead of SAYING they're going to? They save money on stuff that'll shoot the product down the tubes, then splurge on things that do nothing more than sit there and look pretty.

Just my 2 cents.

I am from cap.....sad to see many good workers take the buyout...wish all the lazy ones would go..had a long night training someone with less time then me "with restrictions" on my job....so that I have to learn another job..where is the logic?

Unfortunately, I think the logic has disappeared. In the few years I've been aboard, I have seen none, but those close to retirement do impart unto me the stories of the "old days" when things were logical.

I am from cap.....sad to see many good workers take the buyout...wish all the lazy ones would go..had a long night training someone with less time then me "with restrictions" on my job....so that I have to learn another job..where is the logic?

Seems to be how it goes here.

I seen C.R. I don't know his official title from before. He retired before the 500. He ran at least final though. I've heard night shift plant manager. When we launched the 500 they signed him back on as a consultant for the launch. A couple of years later they bring him back again, probably getting a good buck for 6 months. It's not looking like they have much confidence in our current management.

Seems to be how it goes here.

I seen C.R. I don't know his official title from before. He retired before the 500. He ran at least final though. I've heard night shift plant manager. When we launched the 500 they signed him back on as a consultant for the launch. A couple of years later they bring him back again, probably getting a good buck for 6 months. It's not looking like they have much confidence in our current management.

Ah yes, C.R. From my experience, one of the best of the best as far as dealing with the people fairly. If you tried, he would stick for you, if you tried to screw Ford, he would use the same stick and put it where the sun didn't shine.

If I owned a business, if I could, I would hire him instantly.

That is the best compliment anyone can give to fellow co-workers, hourly or salary in my book.

I didn't know Claude was back in the building, I'll have to look him up. Yes he was fair, I worked for him until 1989 when I went into the trades. He had to approve my release from production, then the floodgates opened and the new apprenticeship program began to take off. It will be interesting to see how many more of the oldtimers will come back. Many of the salaried buyouts are effective March 1st.

Ah yes, C.R. From my experience, one of the best of the best as far as dealing with the people fairly. If you tried, he would stick for you, if you tried to screw Ford, he would use the same stick and put it where the sun didn't shine.

If I owned a business, if I could, I would hire him instantly.

That is the best compliment anyone can give to fellow co-workers, hourly or salary in my book.

That's true whosure, I would certainly like to populate my company with some of my co-workers over the years, but I think the ones I wouldn't hire seem to stick out the most.

That's true whosure, I would certainly like to populate my company with some of my co-workers over the years, but I think the ones I wouldn't hire seem to stick out the most.

Tell me about it!!!! I must admit though, as far as the last year or two, things have gotten better........at least in my immediate area. Maybe the company and union at CAP have finally smelled the coffee.

I also agree with Megirldeth, we are losing some of our most talented hourly workers at CAP.

To many, that may sound crazy; putting autoworker, hourly, and talented in the same sentence; but all of you who work in assemblies, know exactly of what it is I am speaking.

The company shall soon see if "The Ford Production System" was implemented correctly at many of their facilitys. If it was, it will only be difficult to carry on for the forseeable future without incessant hiccups. If it was not............well, what Ford is doing is almost putting on another shift at many a facilitys with all the new, or transfered people. That is not something I would want to try and make work, and work well; although, I do have extreme confidence that they will succeed.

Tell me about it!!!! I must admit though, as far as the last year or two, things have gotten better........at least in my immediate area. Maybe the company and union at CAP have finally smelled the coffee.

I also agree with Megirldeth, we are losing some of our most talented hourly workers at CAP.

To many, that may sound crazy; putting autoworker, hourly, and talented in the same sentence; but all of you who work in assemblies, know exactly of what it is I am speaking.

The company shall soon see if "The Ford Production System" was implemented correctly at many of their facilitys. If it was, it will only be difficult to carry on for the forseeable future without incessant hiccups. If it was not............well, what Ford is doing is almost putting on another shift at many a facilitys with all the new, or transfered people. That is not something I would want to try and make work, and work well; although, I do have extreme confidence that they will succeed.

What will be most interesting to see will be the experienced salaried employees exodus on Feb. 28th. How many of them will come back on a temporary basis like Claude? With all the down weeks scheduled in the near future, I think we will be able to transition to the new models and the new workforce but many of the temporary workers may not put up with the layoffs.

Happy? Martin Luther King Day! Well at least I'm being paid double-time today. For those at CAP returning Monday the 22nd, we have some changes in body at the hood install, a new hayrack, a change at wheel house install and for those in final area , the motor line has been rerouted and the trans pallet line is gone! Maybe the new temps will have a few days to train on jobs before the next down weeks ( Feb. 12th, Feb. 26th and March 5th).

Happy? Martin Luther King Day! Well at least I'm being paid double-time today. For those at CAP returning Monday the 22nd, we have some changes in body at the hood install, a new hayrack, a change at wheel house install and for those in final area , the motor line has been rerouted and the trans pallet line is gone! Maybe the new temps will have a few days to train on jobs before the next down weeks ( Feb. 12th, Feb. 26th and March 5th).

The motor line is a mess. The bosses are hoping to get 30 jobs an hour with helpers on the jobs. We all know Claude is a good man, the things they are trying even have him wondering.

A lot of people have been visiting the plant to pick up their buyout money and vacation checks Monday and Tuesday. Everything seems to be running pretty smoothly for the Jan 1st people. A cleanup person from paint said the company has pushed their buyout dates to Sept. 1st. Apparently they haven't been able to figure out how they are going to outsource their work. Some people are upset about this turn of events. I haven't heard of anyone changing their minds about leaving yet.

All quiet here. A few people are leaving Feb 01. Heard that Final area is pushing trades buyouts back to Sept. Will have to see if this is true.

I am an electrician at INDY ACH . I put in for flow back to Chicago Stamping and Chicago Assembly and other places. Any info on how many took buyouts or retired at cap, or chicago stamping? As electricians go?