Tubular K Member Kit

NLPRacing

Now that my 2001 Mustang GT Convertible is paid for (sent off last 0% interest payment back in October 06), I am now going to get serious with some mods. I've already installed a Steeda shifter, Kenny Brown sub-frame connectors, Mac cold air kit, Magnaflow "MagnaPack" cat back exhaust and pretty decent stereo system consisting of all Pioneer equipment (head unit, speaker, 2 amps, subs, etc.).

I plan on doing the rest in stages. First will be suspension, then at least 18" wheels & tires, then big brakes, then long tube headers/hi-flow cats, at least 3.73 gears/diff, better front seats, autocross cage and last but not least, the supercharger. Later down the road, if I think I need more power, I may change the intake, port the heads, change cams, etc. I might even get crazy and swap the engine for the latest and greatest at the time.

The goal is to make a good handling & quick street car that is fun to drive on the weekends. I also want to take it the drag strip every once in a while as well as run it in an autocross and open track events.

To start the suspension mods, I'm seriously considering getting this Tubular K-Member Suspension Kit as well as these Rear Lower Control Arms off eBay. Is this a good K-Member kit? Has anybody ever had one of these installed or install it yourself? How much better is the handling with this kind of kit? I'm trying to get as much info about these tubular k-members that I can before I buy one (which I plan to get one in the next week or so).

GMTK7995small.jpgGMTA9498small.jpgCO7998DRsmall.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by NLPRacing

That K member is OK, but there are much better ones. The primary reason for going to an aftermarket K member is weight reduction and better clearance for long tube headers. I would recommend the PA Racing or AJE K member for fit and finish and weight reduction. Or, if road racing is your thing, get the Maximum Motorsports K member. The company that makes the K member in your picture above is a copy of the Maximum Motorsports K member. Remember, you get what you pay for!

That K member is OK, but there are much better ones. The primary reason for going to an aftermarket K member is weight reduction and better clearance for long tube headers. I would recommend the PA Racing or AJE K member for fit and finish and weight reduction. Or, if road racing is your thing, get the Maximum Motorsports K member. The company that makes the K member in your picture above is a copy of the Maximum Motorsports K member. Remember, you get what you pay for!

When I build my next road race car (to run NASA American Iron) from scratch, I will base it on a 99 and up Mustang chassis, and I will probably go 100% Maximum Motorsports suspension on that one. But on my 01 Vert, I don't necessarily need the "best", just something considerably better then stock. Have you heard anything bad on this "Granatelli Motorsports" stuff? I've searched and can't find anything good or bad concerning their products. One thing I really like, besides the price, is the fact that they are American made and not some cheap China knockoffs.

• 6 months later...
When I build my next road race car (to run NASA American Iron) from scratch, I will base it on a 99 and up Mustang chassis, and I will probably go 100% Maximum Motorsports suspension on that one. But on my 01 Vert, I don't necessarily need the "best", just something considerably better then stock. Have you heard anything bad on this "Granatelli Motorsports" stuff? I've searched and can't find anything good or bad concerning their products. One thing I really like, besides the price, is the fact that they are American made and not some cheap China knockoffs.

I'm in the same position. Looking for a K-member to use in my mustang. Did you use the Granatelli? Is it any good and what do you advise?

I'm in the same position. Looking for a K-member to use in my mustang. Did you use the Granatelli? Is it any good and what do you advise?

I still have done anything yet. I will probably just end up doing springs and upper/lower rear control arms for now and then maybe do a Maximum Motorsports complete suspension kit later on.

Other major players are Griggs, Steeda and Kenny Brown.. I think KB stuff is on hold due to his health issues though.

We are going 90%+ Steeda on all 3 Mustangs, I have found their stuff to be highly engineered, fits perfectly and works better than advertised.

I have no connection or benefit there, I just really like their stuff best. Griggs is second by a nose, for me shipping and location are

better with Steeda also.

The 02 GT Vert already has Steeda full length subframe connectors, (zinc plated), and a Steeda CAI. This is our closest to stock

vehicle, it also has the SCT2 premium tune, Cobra calipers and slotted Brembo rotors with Steeda's SS brake lines.

The 93 LX 5.0 SSC FHP car has so much Steeda stuff I can't even remember all of it, we just put their 3" cowl hood and pin kit on it,

its a Kaenen piece sold thru Steeda and it is perfect, fit well, painted well and has a very high level of finish even on the underside.

The 91 LX 5.0 Vert is a work in progress still, but with 550+ rwhp from the Vortech it is getting an entire Steeda rear suspension and K member setup next year. Also has a Steeda 3" cowl as above...

I have to buy the 8 point cage from MM, as no one else has one readily available it seems.

Be aware that most all tubular K-Mmebers will transmit some rattling noise thru the chassis, its just the nature of the setup.

However anything that takes weight off the front end of our pig heavy Stangs is generally a good idea.

I even bought their CAI for my 2.3 Focus ST and the Tri-Ax also,,,great improvement there....

• 1 year later...