Congrats to GM for winning NACTOY

Jason Kerluck

GM took both prizes in the North American Car and Truck of the Year awards.

The Saturn Aura and the Silverado both won. Of course it would have been nice for Edge to have won the truck award. But what floors me is that the Aura beat the new Camry for Car of the Year, and the Silverado beat out the new Tundra.

If Toyotas newest "benchmarks" have been beaten by a Saturn and a Chevy, this may put a different attitude in the minds of North American shoppers.

Ford can only stand to also benefit from this in the long run.

Edited by Jason Kerluck

Some history of this award........

Saturn Aura (winner)

Chevrolet Silverado (winner)

Honda Civic (winner)

Honda Ridgeline (winner)

Chrysler 300 (winner)

Ford Escape (winner)

Toyota Prius (winner)

Ford F-150 (winner)

MINI Cooper (winner)

Volvo XC90 (winner)

Nissan Altima (winner)

Chevrolet TrailBlazer (winner)

Chrysler PT Cruiser (winner)

Acura MDX (winner)

Ford Focus (winner)

Nissan Xterra (winner)

Chrysler 300M (winner)

Jeep Grand Cherokee (winner)

Chevrolet Corvette (winner)

Mercedes-Benz ML320 (winner)

Mercedes-Benz SLK (winner)

Ford Expedition (winner)

Chrysler minivans (winner)

Ford F-150 (winner)

Chrysler Cirrus (winner)

Chevrolet Blazer (winner)

Mercedes-Benz C-Class (winner)

Dodge Ram (winner)

Was the new Tundra even up for the award?

No...

"We expected Toyota's all new Tundra to be a contender, but the truck's launch was pushed past our January 1 deadline, partly because, say some observers, of last minute changes to the interiors to compete with the upscale interiors GM is offering on the GMT900s."

There was only 5 trucks in the running, the Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Silverado, Cadillac Escalade EXT, GMC Sierra and the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. All except the Ford were basically the same truck. Interesting...

No...

"We expected Toyota's all new Tundra to be a contender, but the truck's launch was pushed past our January 1 deadline, partly because, say some observers, of last minute changes to the interiors to compete with the upscale interiors GM is offering on the GMT900s."

There was only 5 trucks in the running, the Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Silverado, Cadillac Escalade EXT, GMC Sierra and the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. All except the Ford were basically the same truck. Interesting...

That's what I thought. I still think the GM trucks are better and more significant to the market. The Tundra is just finally playing catch-up to the big boys, GM has always been one of the big boys. That's why I think the Camry probably deserved the award over the Aura. Yes the Aura is probably the best sedan Saturn has ever had, but is it better than the Camry? Other than the sheetmetal I feel the Camry is a better car in most regards. Oh well, I didn't think the Civic and Ridgeline should have won last year, so at least I agree with 50% of their choices this year.

swen, I suggest driving both the Aura and the Camry, it might change your mind. I did it. I have to tell you that I thought the Aura was the better car. With respect to the looks, taste is subjective. Some will find the body of the Aura more appealing, others the Camry. But from the "is it a good sedan" point of view. That being, does it drive well, is it comfortable, good road manners, quiet, features and all of that, I felt the Aura was clearly the better car. But that's me. Check it out yourself, take a day and drive both, see what you think.

swen, I suggest driving both the Aura and the Camry, it might change your mind. I did it. I have to tell you that I thought the Aura was the better car. With respect to the looks, taste is subjective. Some will find the body of the Aura more appealing, others the Camry. But from the "is it a good sedan" point of view. That being, does it drive well, is it comfortable, good road manners, quiet, features and all of that, I felt the Aura was clearly the better car. But that's me. Check it out yourself, take a day and drive both, see what you think.

To be fair I'm certainly not in the market for either. My opinion is based more on Camry lineup vs Aura lineup. Given the Camry comes in 4-cyl, 270hp 6-cyl, and hybrid models it already has a leg up. I wasn't really rooting for either car, I just think the base V6 in the Aura makes no sense, the lack of a 4-cyl seems odd, and Toyota still has the advantage by having both a more powerful V6 and a hybrid model to boot. I couldn't tell you how both sedans drive and chances are I'll never drive either. Purely a magazine-reader perspective.