Mustang options - anti-lock brakes

BOBSMUSTANG

I ordered a 2007 Mustang Premier package with anti-lock brakes as I discovered that local dealers do not automatically include anti-lock brakes with a V-6 engine. It is standard with a V-8. I started this process the beginning of December and am still waiting for the vehicle to be shipped from Michigan. It's too bad that ABS brakes are not standard equipment as a safety item.

Regardless of the "schmoe"*, the fact that side airbags and ABS are NOT standard on EVERY Ford sold is nearly criminal, at least in my mind. It should have nothing to do with price but everything to do with safety and public perception. From a manufactoring stand point, there is something to be said as to economies of scale as well as simplicity of manufacturing. And don't get me started as to how assinine it is for Ford to go back to rear drum brakes on the '08 Escape - to save what? $50 a car on a $20,000 car?? Stupid.

Concerning your "schmoe" comment, I am fortunate enough to make a decent living to live pretty well (well, compared to an Eastern European country ;). Many people I work with struggle for various reasons, the biggest being a lower level of education and the service economy/minimum wage existence we're moving to. The fact that one of my co-workers can splurge and buy a new car, whether its a Kia or Cadillac, I'm very happy for them. And I'm sure the manufactorer is too, since they made a sale. I guess I just found your comment a little abrupt/obnoxious/ignorant.

Regardless of the "schmoe"*, the fact that side airbags and ABS are NOT standard on EVERY Ford sold is nearly criminal, at least in my mind. It should have nothing to do with price but everything to do with safety and public perception. From a manufactoring stand point, there is something to be said as to economies of scale as well as simplicity of manufacturing. And don't get me started as to how assinine it is for Ford to go back to rear drum brakes on the '08 Escape - to save what? $50 a car on a $20,000 car?? Stupid.

Concerning your "schmoe" comment, I am fortunate enough to make a decent living to live pretty well (well, compared to an Eastern European country ;). Many people I work with struggle for various reasons, the biggest being a lower level of education and the service economy/minimum wage existence we're moving to. The fact that one of my co-workers can splurge and buy a new car, whether its a Kia or Cadillac, I'm very happy for them. And I'm sure the manufactorer is too, since they made a sale. I guess I just found your comment a little abrupt/obnoxious/ignorant.

Well, if you're so concerned about getting side airbags and ABS, then ORDER them. That's why they are options. It would be another thing if Ford didn't even OFFER them., but they do. So, I fail to see the problem.

As for the Escape's rear drums. Does it really matter? Drums last much longer than disk brakes. So it not only saves on manufacturing costs, it also saves on maintenance costs for the buyer. 80% of the vehicle's braking is done with the front brakes anyway. All the rear brakes really do is keep the car in line while clamping force is being applied to the front rotors. My brother had rear drums on his Grand Cherokee. They lasted the life of the vehicle (190,000 miles) without needing to be replaced once. It stopped just fine to boot.

Edited by NickF1011

the fact that side airbags and ABS are NOT standard on EVERY Ford sold is nearly criminal, at least in my mind.

Why? Anti-lock brakes are useless if the tire isn't breaking contact with the road surface and losing adhesion, causing the car to skid. This almost always occurs when the road surface is covered in snow, slush or enough water to cause hyroplaning. If the tire isn't locking up, the driver hasn't lost steering control & thus doesn't need ABS to help maintain vehicle control or reduce stopping distance during hard braking . In fact, stopping distances increase in ABS vehicles under heavy braking in deep snow & gravel. Since there are many parts of NA where climate conditions are dry enough to make locals consider ABS an unneccesary option, I don't see why they would want to pay extra for a supposed "safety feature" they see no benefit from.

Since there are many parts of NA where climate conditions are dry enough to make locals consider ABS an unneccesary option, I don't see why they would want to pay extra for a supposed "safety feature" they see no benefit from.

You're joking. You've never heard of "stomp and steer". I live in Los Angeles. It rarely rains and hasn't snowed here since 1947. I've had ABS on my cars since 1987. I've had two times where someone pulled directly in front of me. The ONLY way I was able to avoid t-boning the other vehicle was to hit the brakes hard and swing the steering wheel over. Without ABS, my car would have been totaled.

I see no problem with ABS being optional as long as it is offered. I wish they would do the same with stability control (AdvanceTrac).

You're joking. You've never heard of "stomp and steer". I live in Los Angeles. It rarely rains and hasn't snowed here since 1947. I've had ABS on my cars since 1987. I've had two times where someone pulled directly in front of me. The ONLY way I was able to avoid t-boning the other vehicle was to hit the brakes hard and swing the steering wheel over. Without ABS, my car would have been totaled.

There's volumes of research to show that we drive more aggressively (follow cars too closely & drive too fast for traffic conditions) as braking performance has improved over the years. My 1970 Monte Carlo never needed ABS in Chicago traffic the numerous times I had to make a panic stop in rush hour. Good driving skills were more important than braking technology - I think that's true of most situations.

Oh, and one other comment - I'll take a big tough tranny like a C6 or turbo 400 over ABS anyday to help me slow down. I was just in the F250 a couple weeks ago & the truck in front of me came to a complete stop from 60mph to make a left turn. I slammed on the brakes with both feet & downshifted into first. I bet I didn't have a spare inch between our vehicles, but I didn't hit him & I didn't lose control when I pulled toward the shoulder, although the rear tires did lock up.

Ok NICK and RANCOR, thanks for the beatdown. I stand corrected in looking at it from your (respective) perspectives. That doesn't mean I have to like it.....

Well, didn't mean to make it personal or anything. And there are certainly areas where Ford NEEDS to improve. As long as they OFFER the things people want as options, I really can't complain though. It's the things that they don't even offer on many of their models that bug me: stability control, nav systems, integrated aux audio inputs, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered a 2007 Mustang Premier package with anti-lock brakes as I discovered that local dealers do not automatically include anti-lock brakes with a V-6 engine. It is standard with a V-8. I started this process the beginning of December and am still waiting for the vehicle to be shipped from Michigan. It's too bad that ABS brakes are not standard equipment as a safety item.

I RECEIVED MY 2007 MUSTANG WITH ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. ALL MANUFACTURERS SHOULD INCLUDE THIS JUST AS THEY DO AIRBAGS AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT. UNTIL YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY AND NEED TO APPLY THE ANTI-LOCKS, YOU WON'T KNOW THE BENEFIT. JUST AS YOU'LL KNOW THE BENEFIT OF AN AIRBAG IS YOU HAVE A COLLISION. REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE IN THE USA, A PERSON WILL HAVE A NECESSITY TO HIT THE BRAKES IF SOME JERK PULLS IN FRONT OF YOU OR CUTS YOU OFF.

I RECEIVED MY 2007 MUSTANG WITH ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. ALL MANUFACTURERS SHOULD INCLUDE THIS JUST AS THEY DO AIRBAGS AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT. UNTIL YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY AND NEED TO APPLY THE ANTI-LOCKS, YOU WON'T KNOW THE BENEFIT. JUST AS YOU'LL KNOW THE BENEFIT OF AN AIRBAG IS YOU HAVE A COLLISION. REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE IN THE USA, A PERSON WILL HAVE A NECESSITY TO HIT THE BRAKES IF SOME JERK PULLS IN FRONT OF YOU OR CUTS YOU OFF.

In most situations, on dry pavement, a car without ABS will stop quicker than a car with ABS. It may be harder to control, but it will stop quicker. And you're acting like people have never driven cars without ABS before. Every person over 30 years old with a drivers license probably learned to drive on a car that didn't have ABS.

In most situations, on dry pavement, a car without ABS will stop quicker than a car with ABS. It may be harder to control, but it will stop quicker. And you're acting like people have never driven cars without ABS before. Every person over 30 years old with a drivers license probably learned to drive on a car that didn't have ABS.

The only reason I got the ABS brakes is that my insurance is 10% cheaper. I also have noticed when making a hard stop and the ABS is activated on a dry surface it takes me longer to stop then my car without ABS. It's something to get used to. Actually I try not to make any sudden stops lol

• 2 weeks later...

When your Mustang has a water leak on the passenger side because it wasn't assembled correctly and it soaks the Smart Junction Box under the kick panel, your ABS system warning light comes on from time to time. So why put ABS on a Mustang to start with ? :headscratch: You really never know if they're actually going to work. (Yes, I know this from experience. You even get other more interesting electrical problems too.)

Edited by WaterSoakedLemon

When your Mustang has a water leak on the passenger side because it wasn't assembled correctly and it soaks the Smart Junction Box under the kick panel, your ABS system warning light comes on from time to time. So why put ABS on a Mustang to start with ? :headscratch: You really never know if they're actually going to work. (Yes, I know this from experience. You even get other more interesting electrical problems too.)

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: