Stop Wheel Hop with 99 Cobra IRS

kogt85

I own a 1999 Cobra with 18,000 miles. I love the car, but would like to eliminate or at least greatly reduce the wheel hop. I have purchased, but not installed as of yet polyurethene bushing for the differential center section and the Ford IRS brace off of a 2004 Cobra.

It is my understanding that Ford installed 12mm bolts in 14mm holes in the rubber bushing in the subframe of the IRS. Can I install 14mm bolts to replace the 12mm and where do I get the bolts. I checked with Ford after hearing that the 2004 Cobra used these bolts with a grade of 10.8 or 12.9., with no luck.

Does anyone have a part number for the 14mm button bolts?

I also understand you can replace the rubber bushing in the IRS with polyurethene, but I am not interested in this. If I want to drag race I will race the 85 GT that I own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Definitely get the poly IRS subframe bushings before swapping the bolts. The bolts are the same part number as the front control arm bolts on a GT. But, I didn't notice any difference when I did the bolts st a later time after the bushings, though. Now, last year I completely rebuilt my rear end (see sig) and I really don't have any wheel hop. but mostly I did what I did for strength since I grenaded my stock Ford differential in two (literally down the middle).

Edited by 2FST4GM

:D

Definitely get the poly IRS subframe bushings before swapping the bolts. The bolts are the same part number as the front control arm bolts on a GT. But, I didn't notice any difference when I did the bolts st a later time after the bushings, though. Now, last year I completely rebuilt my rear end (see sig) and I really don't have any wheel hop. but mostly I did what I did for strength since I grenaded my stock Ford differential in two (literally down the middle).

Thanks for the info and I like your license plate

The handling is absolutely mind boggling! A daily driver shouldn't handle this well. Its stiff but not unbearable at all. However, everybody's tolerence levels are different. I love it.

The total cost would have been A LOT CHEAPER if I just bought an '03/04 rearend from someone swapping to a live axle. But then I'd b buying a used rearend from a car that had a blower with stock internals. However, I was more interested in strength becuase I didn't want this to happen to me again.

So here is a breakdown of the costs (by memory).

B&M Ripper ($90 used eBay)

'03 half-shafts ($330)

Eaton ($450)

Motive Gear 4.30's ($170)

Steeda IRS cover brace ($135)

IRS poly pumpkin bushings ($40)

'03 IRS brace ($110)

Fidanza aluminum flywheel ($220)

SPEC stage 1 ($220)

Steeda quadrant & firewall adjuster (& cable) ($35 used eBay)

Labor $700

TOTAL $2500

Edited by 2FST4GM

• 2 weeks later...

:D 99 Cobra

I installed the Steeda IRS brace and polyurethane bushings.............very happy. I would say it eliminated 95% plus of any wheel hop I would experience. Put on a sticky set of tires and leave at 4500 and I would guess you have to change the springs and shocks to cure the wheel hop from that type of launch.

koqt85,

Its pretty worth the money for sure! I already have coil-overs and Bilsteins/Tokicos. Its a rare day if I get wheel hop. They usually just spin. I'm happy with my IRS. Its rock solid. And remember, the part that failed on me was the stock Ford Traction-Lok differential. The same peice that comes in a stick axle. I no longer fear that I might break something. That peice of mind is worth every penny I spent! :D

Edited by 2FST4GM

• 2 months later...

I am happy with the IRS brace and bushing as well. However, witht he 4.30 gears, the wheelhop came back with a vengence!

Overall though, I think the IRS brace is helping...since before the gears it allowed me to launch about 2200 rpm higher without hop. Therefore, if I didn't have it installed...it would probably even worse now, with the gears.

:D 99 Cobra

I installed the Steeda IRS brace and polyurethane bushings.............very happy. I would say it eliminated 95% plus of any wheel hop I would experience. Put on a sticky set of tires and leave at 4500 and I would guess you have to change the springs and shocks to cure the wheel hop from that type of launch.

I was just looking at the Steeda online catalog, did you install the "Cobra IRS Subframe Bracket Kit" (555-5405) and the "Cobra Differential Bushings (555-4015) or the "IRS Subframe Bushings" (555-4016) or all three?

Did you install everything yourself or... how many hours of shoptime would you have to pay for?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by supercruise

• 4 weeks later...