6 speed trans

ELlover

I know we have talked about the 2nd gear take off but I was wondering if anyone was actually have a problem with the trans taking to long to search for a gear? I am noticing that when I take off from a stop sometimes it searches to long and clunks pretty hard into gear (on light to medium accelerations). I have a call into the shop foreman at ford to see if there are any TSB's but I thought I would ask. I am just afraid one day I am going to pull out in traffic and not go anywhere. I would say 90-95% of the time I have no problems with take off.

If you'll pardon the expression, that's damn poor odds on proper performance.

I agree thats why I am wondering if there is actually something wrong with my trans instead of the normal trans shift. Ofcourse I didnt hear back from the tech guy so I might go down there tomorrow to see whats going on.

Mine did that too when new. After a while it smoothed out. There are no recalls, I have a subscription with Ford.

It just "learns " after a while.

It'll be OK.

Bob

Yes it has done it since the beginning too, but it seems worse. I may take it there and have someone drive it for me. I have been told that with the 6 speed once it learns your driving pattern it does shift smoother, and usually it does but lately it doesnt seem to be.

We will see...

Yes it has done it since the beginning too, but it seems worse. I may take it there and have someone drive it for me. I have been told that with the 6 speed once it learns your driving pattern it does shift smoother, and usually it does but lately it doesn't seem to be.

We will see...

Out of curiosity, did this problem start before or after you had the exhaust installed? The reason I ask, is that when I installed a MagnaFlow cat-back on an 05 Dodge Charger, the instructions said to disconnect the battery before starting so that the computer would "restart" and "re-learn" with the new exhaust system. Maybe the reduced back-pressure of your new system has caused a problem and maybe if you disconnect your battery for a while, maybe the computer would "re-boot" and make the engine & tranny work together better. It would be worth a try...

OT - My wife and I are seriously considering a new Expedition, but will probably get the regular length in lieu of the EL. We test drove an EL about a week ago. It was real nice, but, my wife just does not care for the way the EL looks. Any options we should make sure to get and any we should avoid? I was thinking of going with an aftermarket Pioneer nav unit and after market dual headrest mounted monitor/DVD for the rear in lieu of the factory stuff. What do you think? I'm also thinking of getting 22's, maybe like the wheels on the 07 F150 Harley Davidson edition. Are you going to get 22's or will you stick with the 20's?

How does the transmission learn your driving pattern? Both my wife and I drive the car and I imagine that we have different driving patterns. Is this really the case?

Yes it is true thats why when there are more than one driver you wont get the best possible gas mileage. More so if one is a hard driver and they other is not. Its your PCM that monitors your driving habits to adjust the system to optimize your gas mileage. Thats why you can flash the PCM to reboot the system.

That was all from my husband who has worked in the automotive for 15 years cause I have no clue.

Out of curiosity, did this problem start before or after you had the exhaust installed? The reason I ask, is that when I installed a MagnaFlow cat-back on an 05 Dodge Charger, the instructions said to disconnect the battery before starting so that the computer would "restart" and "re-learn" with the new exhaust system. Maybe the reduced back-pressure of your new system has caused a problem and maybe if you disconnect your battery for a while, maybe the computer would "re-boot" and make the engine & tranny work together better. It would be worth a try...

OT - My wife and I are seriously considering a new Expedition, but will probably get the regular length in lieu of the EL. We test drove an EL about a week ago. It was real nice, but, my wife just does not care for the way the EL looks. Any options we should make sure to get and any we should avoid? I was thinking of going with an aftermarket Pioneer nav unit and after market dual headrest mounted monitor/DVD for the rear in lieu of the factory stuff. What do you think? I'm also thinking of getting 22's, maybe like the wheels on the 07 F150 Harley Davidson edition. Are you going to get 22's or will you stick with the 20's?

NLP I will have to check into it. I doubt it because it was happening before but I wil ask my husband he would know.

As for you getting the 07, I would get the aftermarket Pioneer and probably the dual monitors, only because I do not like the DVD unit that I have, very bulky. I would make sure you get the premium sound because its awesome. Definitly get the 22's I am not fond of the chrome clad aluminum wheels even though they look nice. I think the 22's on the 07 Harley F150 is nice. It just seems with the 20's that there is still a gap, Ive never had large rims before because they seem so "trendy" but with such a large vehicle its needed or big mud tires which I cant picture on the new expy. For sure get the powerlift gate its very nice. I love my heated/cooled seats. Everything else I think is pretty standard. Good luck with your purchase and I would love to see pictures.

The Explorer and Expedition use completely different transmissions. Sounds like a programming issue. They should be able to resolve it shortly.

Thanks it does sound like that.

Last night when I was out my Expy stalled on me, I don't know whats going on. I have noticed for the past month or more that sometimes the accelerator is very touchy, if I just apply slight pressure the car lurches forward, well last night it did that started jumping kinda and when I let off the gas because it was so bad it stalled out. I think I will just take it in Monday.

On another note I already have to take it to the body shop, yesterday when I was driving on the 5 freeway a truck in front of me kicked up something that looked like a log, I couldn't swerve and I hit it. It hit the right front and damaged the bumper and I ran over it but thankfully it didn't pop the tire. I'm so glad the bumpers are made out of plastic so it is not dented. But it tore up the paint unfortunately but did not damage the fog light. I'm so glad that's all that happened, it could have come through the window or blown out my tire.

Thanks it does sound like that.

Last night when I was out my Expy stalled on me, I don't know whats going on. I have noticed for the past month or more that sometimes the accelerator is very touchy, if I just apply slight pressure the car lurches forward, well last night it did that started jumping kinda and when I let off the gas because it was so bad it stalled out. I think I will just take it in Monday.

On another note I already have to take it to the body shop, yesterday when I was driving on the 5 freeway a truck in front of me kicked up something that looked like a log, I couldn't swerve and I hit it. It hit the right front and damaged the bumper and I ran over it but thankfully it didn't pop the tire. I'm so glad the bumpers are made out of plastic so it is not dented. But it tore up the paint unfortunately but did not damage the fog light. I'm so glad that's all that happened, it could have come through the window or blown out my tire.

Good Morning Tiffiny:

I just read your post. That must have been very scary. Glad you and your family were not hurt.

I am sorry to hear about your stall problem too. Mine has not stalled but the transmission does seem to drag if you just lightly touch the accelerator and lurch if you apply a little additional pressure.

Glad the expy wasn't damaged a lot. Sounds like both you and the truck were very lucky. Be safe.

Mike