Will the 20" increase fuel economy?

petepusa

Just wondering if the 20" rims will increase the fuel economy compared to the 18"?

If yes will it be a significant difference?

Shouldn't matter if you go with 18" or 20", mileage will be shitty either way. :P

Seriously though, the 20" wheel weighs more than the 18" wheel and if I had to guess, I would say 10 pounds more per wheel. The added mass would definitely affect mileage negatively, but on a vehicle that big, it shouldn't matter too much. I say, if you like the 20's better, get'em.

The wheels may be bigger, but the overall diameter with the tire is about the same. The tires have shorter sidewalls.

Pioneer is correct, you want the outer diameter of the rim and tire assembly to be the same so your speedometer is accurate. Also be aware that even though it seems to be the "in" thing low profile tires ride and wear like :censored:

larger and heavier wheels will kill your Fuel economy and acceleration, increase your braking distance, will be more prone to damage (to the wheel and tire) and more expensive to replace.

Yes - the overall diameter of the wheel-tire combo will remain constant (close to it), but the larger wheel will not only weight more, it will place this weight further away from the axle exacerbating the effect of he weight itself - making the engine work way harder to spin that wheel than with 18" wheels (and it has 2 or 4 wheels to spin).

Igor

Edited by igor