Tenure

vertigo13

It really depends on what you mean by Tenure?....

You are classified as a seniority employee after 90 days, but you actually remain on probationary employment status for 3 years until your up to full pay.

In terms of pension vesting it is 5 years.

It really depends on what you mean by Tenure?....

You are classified as a seniority employee after 90 days, but you actually remain on probationary employment status for 3 years until your up to full pay.

In terms of pension vesting it is 5 years.

I guess the word I was thinking of was vested. I thought it was 10 years, I have 5 years seniority. So that means I barely made it. Now what good does that do for me? Does that protect me in any way, as far as losing my job?

I guess the word I was thinking of was vested. I thought it was 10 years, I have 5 years seniority. So that means I barely made it. Now what good does that do for me? Does that protect me in any way, as far as losing my job?

NO! It has nothing to do with losing/keeping your job. It pertains to your pension.

As far as the 5 year part, you have recall rights equal to your time in service. If you have 6 years when you get laid off, you can be recalled up to the 6 year from your time of layoff. I remember talking to some of the *oldtimers* at my plant, some of the people actually got recalled after their time had run out, because they kept in contact with the Union and the Company, basically called everyweek and kept their name in the mix that way. Something to think about.

Have a goood one

Sorry, but no. There are no guarantees.

Under the current contract, 10 years of seniority gets you covered under the GIS program.....Guaranteed Income Stream. I'm not exactly sure what the details of the GIS are but its similar to the GEN program, they both offer some sort of benefit in the event of lay offs.

I remember talking to some of the *oldtimers* at my plant, some of the people actually got recalled after their time had run out, because they kept in contact with the Union and the Company, basically called everyweek and kept their name in the mix that way.

The contracts through-out the 80's (after the last big round of lay-offs, plant closings, shift losses, etc) always extended the recall rights of all laid-off workers, regardless of seniority, IIRC. Many people with only 2 or 3 years who were laid off in the early 80's were recalled in the late 80's-early 90's. There was no need to call "every week" (except if you were REALLY anxious, I guess)- one just had to make sure that the company had a current address for you, which you'd want them to have anyway for transfer offers, etc.

What IS important, is that after one is laid off for more time than they have in seniority, is that it is considered a "break in service"- one may not be able to regain seniority in future contracts if Ford considers that your service was broken by being laid off for too long a time. (In other words, when your ARE recalled, you may be considered a "new hire" and won't be allowed to "get back your time" when such provisions are written into future contracts). These mathamatical caculations and technicalities are obviously an on-going conflict with the UAW and FORD. People have actually had time taken away after a contract is signed, when Ford "reviews" peoples' service for the yearly statement (read the fine print- it is only an "estimate".) There were a number of posts on this subject back when the 2003 contract was signed.

Also, remember that the above is what happened in the past, and in past contracts, and is no way a guarantee of what may happen in the future.

i work at nap and i am just amazed of how many people do not know their rights as a union employee.we all work under a contract local and national.read your contract books study them.the managers study our books to find loop holes and to give them ammunition.i also do the same likewise..when it comes down to it all we have are seniority and classification.and in these times anyone with less than ten years who knows..