Thread lock

WOW!! Richard, why you would chose that other thread to take a stand on modrating ? leaves me wondering if it's the issue of man contributing to climate cahnge that really bothers you. Not that I don't doubt you have had complaints, but my guess is that those that have complained, just don't want to even hear the term global climate change. It is a touchy issue, but is it any more sensitive issue than politicts or Religion? Why have you not made threats to edit current threads in the employe forums? Examples, check out the R.B. lover thread, or the Bush knocked Ford down thread which is 22 pages long. The OAC thread 127 pages long, DTP vandals thread, or mos of all, the AAI labor relations thread which is quite vulgar?

I mean I know this is an Automobile Manf. site, and we no longer have an environmental forum, but those of us who do conssider GCC to be of the upmost importance would like to have at least one thread where we can debate the issue, after all, you are one of the ppl. on this site that have exposed me to things that I did not know.

leaves me wondering if it's the issue of man contributing to climate cahnge that really bothers you

Remarks like this are why I was watching the thread in the first place. You are implying motive to my actions, and further implying that motive to be one that is dishonest.

If you want a debate about the issues, you will refrain from making remarks like this. If, on the other hand, you want to characterize those you disagree with, and provoke them to angry responses, you impugn their motives, question their intelligence, and accuse them of various assaults on human rights and freedoms.

Edited by RichardJensen

The thread was locked in response to the last post of Bluecon, wherein he insisted that you can "prove" a theory. The condescension of people on both sides of this argument leads to an escalating battle of insults and characterizations, which irritates me and does absolutely nothing to further a debate on the issues.

Edited by RichardJensen

Well, yes, you can prove a mathematical theorem...

However, scientific theories only offer an independently verifiable explanation for observed events, and that's the sense to which I was referring. A theory may be tested through experimentation or observation, but it remains only a theory. It is at best an incomplete explanation of some segment of the universe. Newton's 'theory' of universal gravitation consisted of a formula that largely approximated the force of gravity under most circumstances. It, however, was not 'true'.

Truth really is no component of any scientific discussion, and insistence that a given theory is 'true' is just the kind of scientistic trap into which people often fall.

Edited by RichardJensen

The thread was locked in response to the last post of Bluecon, wherein he insisted that you can "prove" a theory. The condescension of people on both sides of this argument leads to an escalating battle of insults and characterizations, which irritates me and does absolutely nothing to further a debate on the issues.

Of course you can prove a theory. LOL

You make the theory than you prove it if possible. The only reason for example, Darwins theory of Evolution is still a theory is that it has never been possible to prove it in the lab or anywhere else. Millions of theories have been proven to be true. This is how science works.

Well, yes, you can prove a mathematical theorem...

However, scientific theories only offer an independently verifiable explanation for observed events, and that's the sense to which I was referring. A theory may be tested through experimentation or observation, but it remains only a theory. It is at best an incomplete explanation of some segment of the universe. Newton's 'theory' of universal gravitation consisted of a formula that largely approximated the force of gravity under most circumstances. It, however, was not 'true'.

Truth really is no component of any scientific discussion, and insistence that a given theory is 'true' is just the kind of scientistic trap into which people often fall.

Once again you have know knowledge of what you are talking about.

This is grade school science. Theories have been proven by the millions.

In science, a theory is a proposed description, explanation, or model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theory which explains why the apple behaves so is the current theory of gravitation.

A theory may only be proven FALSE. It cannot possibly be proven TRUE.

Remarks like this are why I was watching the thread in the first place. You are implying motive to my actions, and further implying that motive to be one that is dishonest.

If you want a debate about the issues, you will refrain from making remarks like this. If, on the other hand, you want to characterize those you disagree with, and provoke them to angry responses, you impugn their motives, question their intelligence, and accuse them of various assaults on human rights and freedoms.

Ok, I will phrase it in the form of a question, If you are so concerned about being politically correct on this site, why not lock, nuke, or edit the other threads that are obviously more provoking than the thread you locked? There is a thread in the employee forum that has been there for day's that is titiled "F------ d--- b---- won't give me my check", and states the employee's name. You can't provoke much more than that. At least with the thread you locked you don't have to click on it if you don't want to, kind of like seeing a program in the tv guide you don't want to watch so you don't turn to that cahnell. With the AAI thread, you have no choice, as soon as you go to the employe forum there it is, staring you in the face. was just wondering about that?

On mine, the Employee forums are on the top of the list. It's alphabetical:

Employees

Product Development Center

Your results may vary.

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

Right you are.

I always click on "Product Development Center", never "Blue Oval Forums", and it turns out he Employee Forums aren't on that page at all. Like I said, I've almost never been there. Results may vary indeed.

I wonder if I'm thinking back a couple years, when this was the "Automotive Topics" forum, which would've been above the "Employee Forum"................

Edited by RichardJensen

A theory may only be proven FALSE. It cannot possibly be proven TRUE.

Maybe in physics but not, but not in all cases. Theories are often proven true.

From the Global warming thread

QUOTE(BlackHorse @ Feb 8 2007, 06:30 PM)

in the end all they really want is more of our personal income

Quote RJ

See, you can't prove that, it's a theory, and thus it should never be asserted as fact.

Bluecon

What theory are you talking about? You're ridiculous. You couldn't help yourself and had to stick your nose in when there was no problem at all. I believe you are a control freak.

Bluecon wrote

"theory are you talking about? You're ridiculous. You couldn't help yourself and had to stick your nose in when there was no problem at all. I believe you are a control freak. "

I have to disagree with this statement, and apologize to Richard for questioning his honesty in locking the thread.

It would however even the playing field if members like Ebrit had to adhere to the TOS for this site, his signiture and more importantly his videos that are a part of everyone of his post's (1300+) are annoying to me and might come across as "provocative" to others.

Thanks. It's one thing to argue the observed facts and proposed explanations for climate change. It's another thing to insist that you are 'right', and that everyone else is 'wrong', and that, moreover, you have been proven 'right' by authorities of your choosing.

As Wolfgang Pauli said, and I'll leave the application of this quote to certain individuals up in the air:

"That's not right! It's not even wrong!!"