Fairlane coming to Oakville

OACville

Ford to reinvent sluggish minivans

New models are key to rescue plan

January 20, 2006

Email this Print this BY MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The Ford Fairlane concept vehicle debuted at the 2005 North American International Auto Show. (STAN HONDA/Getty Images-AFP)

The dramatic rescue plan Ford Motor Co. is to announce Monday is expected to include a number of new vehicles to fix its flagging brands, including a radical new direction for its minivans.

Ford is likely to move away from the traditional minivan look epitomized by its slow-selling Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey minivans, according to company and industry experts familiar with the plan.

VIDEO: FORD RESTRUCTURING LOOMS

Free Press columnist Mike Wendland talks with staff writers about Ford's big announcement for Monday.

It will replace them with one or more new vehicles similar to the Fairlane concept wagon that won wide praise at the 2005 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The Fairlane could go into production at Ford's assembly plant in Oakville, Ontario, as soon as next year.

The Fairlane won praise for its combination of car-like looks with the practical three-row seating that has made minivans the vehicle of choice for a generation of U.S. families.

Ford expects the production Fairlane to match a minivan's interior space and kid-hauling capability in a stylish package that will appeal to more buyers.

The concept vehicle featured a large and luxurious interior and was clearly destined for production.

The Fairlane will probably share its structure with a new family of full-size vehicles in the works for several of Ford's brands, including Volvo and Lincoln.

Ford also is developing at least one new full-size luxury sedan for its Lincoln brand, and a smaller Lincoln sport sedan is likely.

In addition, Ford has five new midsize vehicles coming from the program that produced its new Fusion sedan and the Edge SUV the company unveiled last week at the auto show in Detroit.

Ford executives have repeatedly said that the Way Forward plan will present a wide-ranging strategy that not only includes cost-cutting measures, such as closing plants, but initiatives to improve the automaker's products.

"I think it'll be a little bigger than most people expect," David Cole, an industry expert who runs the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, said Thursday. "I think this is a very important time, and maybe the most important time at Ford Motor Co. in the past 50 years. They have to get this right."

Although most of the discussion about Ford's plans have focused on which plants it will close, ending production of slow-selling models -- like the Freestar and Monterey -- would also be a big step in the right direction. But even at this late date, not all decisions have been made.

"The situation is still fluid" as to which plants and vehicles will go, a source familiar with the discussions said Thursday.

Ford executives have said they believe a vehicle like the Fairlane could become the defining entry in the fast-growing market for family transportation that combines the practicality of a minivan with the styling and upscale appeal of SUVs like the Lexus RX330.

Ford's current minivans have struggled since the Freestar and Monterey debuted in 2003. Panned for lackluster styling and a paucity of new features, the two minivans have never been as popular as the Ford Windstar model they replaced.

Combined sales of the Freestar and Monterey were a paltry 85,751 last year, making Ford virtually irrelevant in a minivan market dominated by models like the Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Grand Caravan, Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna.

The minivans' failure is a particularly bitter disappointment to Ford.

The automaker regularly sold more than 200,000 Windstars annually. The Windstar won five-star crash ratings and became so successful that Chrysler Group executives privately admitted they feared it could displace their models as industry leader.

Ford squandered that strength with a number of product-planning mistakes. It missed out on the move to add dual sliding doors, which cost it sales.

In addition to the Fairlane, Ford has a new flagship luxury sedan in the works for its Lincoln brand. That car will look a lot like the MKS concept car at the current auto show and will share its basic engineering with the new Volvo S70 sedan that goes on sale in Europe later this year.

Lincoln also is reportedly developing a compact sport sedan based on the phenomenally popular Ford Mustang.

Ford, which made $1.9 billion through the first nine months of 2005, has refused to comment on speculation about which plants it might close, causing anxiety to mount in cities where tens of thousands of workers build Ford cars, trucks and auto parts.

Union workers are planning to gather in plants across the country Monday morning to learn the fate of their facilities on a telecast from Dearborn.

Analysts say they expect Ford to close four or five of its 18 assembly plants in North America as well as several plants that build parts.

While there is disagreement among the experts, most of the attention has focused on assembly plants in Wixom; St. Louis; St. Paul, Minn.; Atlanta, and Cuautitlan, Mexico.

Contact MARK PHELAN at 313-222-6731 or phelan@freepress.com. Business writer Sarah Webster contributed to this report.

Ya but buddy contradicts himself without knowing it because he suggests it could go to OAC but only knows it is the same platform as the volvo (D3) where OAC will be a Mazda (CD3) platform. OAC will not get both platforms.

And why not? Flex Plant = multiple vehicles on multiple platforms.

We have the room. Nothing is impossible.

When you look at prints and it has big areas marked "for future use", what do you think it means?

Honestly I think it can mean nothing, or if anything most likely something on a cd3 platform or else the idea of utilizing a site to its max capacity in the most efficient way becomes just talk. not very good for a way forward, eh?

Honestly I think it can mean nothing, or if anything most likely something on a cd3 platform or else the idea of utilizing a site to its max capacity in the most efficient way becomes just talk. not very good for a way forward, eh?

AAI builds two totally different products under its roof...I dont see any reason why Oakville can't do the Edge/MKX and the D3 people movers all under one roof also...

AAI builds two totally different products under its roof...I dont see any reason why Oakville can't do the Edge/MKX and the D3 people movers all under one roof also...

Shhhhhh....

If the future starts looking bright for Oakville, the doom'n'gloomers wil have nothing to post about, lol.

:lol:

atlanta will be open..the worse thing to happen to atlanta is the plant will be moved..to another town in ga got to have faith in god..with him all thiings are possable

Ditto with Santa,

FWIW, why would "GOD" have any interest in an automobile plant.. Shouldnt his concerns be Good, Evil, judgment day, persecutting non beleivers etc... Why would he have an interest in the day to day running operations of an assembly plant..

Edited by OACville

Ya but buddy contradicts himself without knowing it because he suggests it could go to OAC but only knows it is the same platform as the volvo (D3) where OAC will be a Mazda (CD3) platform. OAC will not get both platforms.

OAC is a flex plant... you swore up and down that it wouldnt be one because you didnt see a supplier park or whatever else you were looking for.. It goes to show the extreme tunnel vision you gifted with..

OAC will be a flex plant with two platforms with each platform being able to make about 4 different vehicles.

CD3 is one of those platforms with the EDGE and MK?? being two vehicles on that platform.. Once job one is complete on the 1st platform then OAC will move to the second platform which will launch in the fall of 2007.. We have signed flex letters at our last contract that described how this will work.

OAC is a flex plant... you swore up and down that it wouldnt be one because you didnt see a supplier park or whatever else you were looking for.. It goes to show the extreme tunnel vision you gifted with..

OAC will be a flex plant with two platforms with each platform being able to make about 4 different vehicles.

CD3 is one of those platforms with the EDGE and MK?? being two vehicles on that platform.. Once job one is complete on the 1st platform then OAC will move to the second platform which will launch in the fall of 2007.. We have signed flex letters at our last contract that described how this will work.

wowe easy big boy, I never said OAC will not be flex. I only asked for concrete evidence. I can't help it if you can go on faith but I can't.

Oh and go on faith and vote for belinda because your beloved leader told you so, or if your riding is in oxford vote for a toyota executive because buzzy's sidekick Stanford says so. :lol:

Edited by foxrun

wowe easy big boy, I never said OAC will not be flex. I only asked for concrete evidence. I can't help it if you can go on faith but I can't.

Oh and go on faith and vote for belinda because your beloved leader told you so, or if your riding is in oxford vote for a toyota executive because buzzy's sidekick Stanfield says so. :lol:

faith = blind belief, the evidence was around.. you chose not to accept it.. becuase it wasnt inside your tunnel vision. You strike me as the type of person that believes that that you are never wrong and will write paragraphs upon paragraphs of nonsense trying to validate and justify your point but when you are proven wrong you shrug it off as if it never happened or trivialize it.

... Could you translate the belinda and Stanfield comment... I have no idea what point you are trying to make

faith = blind belief, the evidence was around.. you chose not to accept it.. becuase it wasnt inside your tunnel vision. You strike me as the type of person that believes that that you are never wrong and will write paragraphs upon paragraphs of nonsense trying to validate and justify your point but when you are proven wrong you shrug it off as if it never happened or trivialize it.

... Could you translate the belinda and Stanfield comment... I have no idea what point you are trying to make

Well there is no supplier park like in Chicago, where there were plans for NEW facilities to be built around the new Chicago flex 2 years before it started.

There was no concrete evidence of robotics for the new body shop and no one could answer any questions on such robotics at the time.

With those two and Ford about to announce a historic number of plants to be shut down and an obvious cash crunch just chanting repeatedly "OAC WILL FLEX, OAC WILL FLEX" can only be interpreted as moronic blind faith.

The "Belinda and Stanford comment" do I really have to explain that one to you? :blink:

But if you insist look for my CAW even more confused post.

And your right I know I'm never wrong :D

Edited by foxrun

He means Jim Stanford the CAW economist, and as usual he's trolling...but you knew that :)

But Charly.. the guy is never wrong..

Even though he is yet to be right ;)

Oh look the brothers are standing together, isn't that cute.

well "BROTHERS" how do you feel about voteing for actively antiunion excecutives like the ones the CAW leader Basil "buzz" hardgrove is telling you to vote for.

Am I yet to be right about that OACville. :lol: :lol:

I'm most interested in your opinion Charly or are you going to stick to your "I'm not talking to anyone that disagrees with me stand"