Special Edition Mustangs

sktrstangs

I have a question about why is it that only the Mustang GT, Bullitt, Shelby get all the special edition attention? As an owner of a 2006 Vista Blue Stampede Edition Mustang V6 which FORD only made 500 of these for Texas and Oklahoma. California also had V6 special editions in 2006 to note. To me, these Stampede Edition Mustangs are very rare compared to the other Mustang productions, but not to knock the prestige of owning one of the V8 editions like the Shelby. I would just like to see the Stampede Mustangs added to the list.

Most enthusiasts (and automotive journalists) give far greater credence to recent Special Edition Stangs like the Bullitt, Mach 1 & Shelby 'cause they're much more than just "Tape 'n Stripe" releases. They incorporate drivetrain, suspension & braking upgrades, as well as interior & exterior mods.

Special Stampede Edition Mustang:

The limited edition Stampede Mustang comes pre “Texas-ized.” Five hundred copies are available at Texas and Oklahoma Ford dealers.

Texas and Oklahoma Ford dealers are offering an exclusive Mustang that’s sure to become a collector’s item. Only 500 of the special-edition Mustangs will be sold, authenticated with an engraved, numbered plaque.

“Mustang has a long tradition of offering special packages like the Twister and California Special,” says Mark Grueber, Ford marketing strategy manager for the Southwest region. “We have a special Texas Edition F-150 and Super Duty, and Mustang is such a part of the Texas landscape, we thought it would be a natural fit.”

The Stampede Edition Mustang V-6 coupe builds on the Pony Package, featuring 17-inch, painted-aluminum wheels and a pony grille with integrated fog lamps. The Stampede adds wide, 9-inch silver racing stripes, exclusive Stampede badging (including a Stampede Edition gas cap), chrome pony spinner caps, chrome exhaust tips and a rear spoiler.

The Interior Upgrade Package adds the unique MyColor™ Instrument Panel Display, offering up to 125 color backgrounds at the touch of a button, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. The standard Shaker 500 audio system features a six-disc CD player; a Shaker 1000 audio system is also available. The Interior Upgrade Package includes six-way power seats. Carpeted front floor mats carry unique brushed-chrome “Mustang” badging.

“A lot of customers are looking for something unique,” says Grueber. They want to “Texasize” their vehicles. The Stampede gives them the opportunity to own something unique.”

All 500 Stampede Mustangs have been produced and are on their way to one of the roughly 300 Ford dealers in Oklahoma and Texas.

post-8385-1174164289_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Have any pictures of the Stampede edition? I did not know they existed. What is included with the package?

In addition to what was posted by sktrstangs the Stampede Edition includes the GT suspension package of front and rear swaybars, traction control, GT Wheels and tires. The GT spoiler is also added (Normal pony packages with spoilers have a different spoiler). The Stampede when placed next to a V6 or V6 Pony Package has a different stance. (See attachment) post-25309-1175177205_thumb.jpgThe angle is more pronounced. There may be differences in the springs but I have not confirmed this but I do know that the nose is lower by an inch or so. I've not measured the rear. We have a Stampede and a 2007 Pony Package and they are like night and day in their handling. The Stampede is more controlled, tighter, and feels almost heavier. We have a registry set up and we are trying to find out as much as we possibly can about these cars. We do know that there were more to these cars than "Tape and Stripe".

Oh, and for LOTS of pictures try http://rarepony.blogspot.com or http://www.stampedemustangregistry.com

Edited by Trinity

In addition to what was posted by sktrstangs the Stampede Edition includes the GT suspension package of front and rear swaybars, traction control, GT Wheels and tires.

The upgraded suspension pieces are available on the Pony Package, so ordering a Stampede Edition isn't getting you anything in addition to that, suspension-wise.

Edited by RancorKeeper

This is in regards to the Stampede Edition Mustangs from FORD: As far as factory vs. dealer vehicle - the Stampede would be considered a factory package. It was available only to 300 Ford dealers in TX and OK (where as most factory packages are nationwide).

and this...

Not sure what modifications have been done to the vehicles - both have some content that we didn't offer from the factory. The difference in stance is properly related to the wheels/tires rather than changes to the suspensions - but again I'm guessing as I don't know what equipment are on those cars. This was an observation between the '06 Stampede Edition against an '07 Pony Package only Mustang. There is a lower front stance on the '06 Stampede Edition.

There is a report also stating that the V6 Pony Package Mustangs are the best overall, balanced, handling Mustangs in regards to weight being the cars are lighter than their V8 counterparts.

Have fun in those Mustangs everybody!

post-8385-1175698231_thumb.jpg

post-8385-1175698261.jpg

The upgraded suspension pieces are available on the Pony Package, so ordering a Stampede Edition isn't getting you anything in addition to that, suspension-wise.

Perhaps, but as an owner of both a Pony Package AND a Stampede I can tell you that I have driven both and they DO perform differently. The Pony Package (the 2007) fishtails and doesn't handle as tightly in corners. Now, maybe that is the Traction Control on the Stampede, maybe not. I'm not a mechanic and I don't work for Ford so I couldn't tell you for sure. I just know from experience how these two cars handle.

I do understand how exasperated some may feel with all the "Special Editions" out there created by Dealerships and third-parties. What I have always enjoyed are the Regional Specials and Special Editions created by Ford. The Stampede Edition gave me the IUP, ABS, Traction Control, and the Pony Package for one price of $1995. (see attachment for sticker) The savings alone were worth it to me nevermind any collectibility factor.

What I have not understood is the pettiness of Mustang owners who agree that we all love Mustangs but must find some reason to disrespect or be-little the next person's Mustang, personal choices, or tastes. I'm speaking to the general population and not to any one person.

I love Mustangs... I've bought three not counting the 2007 Pony Package... and I'm sold on them. There will always be at least one in my driveway.

post-25309-1175792746_thumb.jpg

The Pony Package (the 2007) fishtails and doesn't handle as tightly in corners. Now, maybe that is the Traction Control on the Stampede, post-25309-1175792746_thumb.jpg

Ya think??? :idea:

A Mustang without a V8 is like what you think is a hot chick that turns out to be a dude.

If approval and respect is what you were searching for from fellow drivers, perhaps you should have bought a Lexus.

A Mustang without a V8 is like what you think is a hot chick that turns out to be a dude.

If approval and respect is what you were searching for from fellow drivers, perhaps you should have bought a Lexus.

Could have had a

846990_51c74910db_m.jpg

Yeesh...that Stampede Edition is almost what I paid for my Cobra brand new.

Hmmm... I don't think I said anything about looking for someone's approval or respect.

They make these cars in different trims and models because we are not all V8 Performance Driven perfect people like the V8 owners who feel the need to constantly berate the V6 owners. I am so tired of the "I can go faster so I'm better than you" mentality.

I believe that everyone has the right to express their opinion but I also reserve the right NOT to listen to it. THAT is freedom of speech. Just because one person doesn't like something doesn't make it bad or wrong. If you don't like someone's choices then shut up and walk away.

Well, yeah, it was 10 years ago....and I'd still pay more for a 10-year-old Cobra than a new V6. (I didn't pay sticker for mine either.)

It goes without saying that any new Cobra, or Shelby 500, for that matter, will be more than a new V6, but I get what you were trying to say and I agree.

I am not trying to say my V6 is as good or better than a V8. I owned a 2002 GT Vert which I absolutely adored, so in my mind there is no comparison. I had a 16mm herniation removed from my spine last November. Its hard to drive a stick with that kind of pain... So... yeah, I'll drive my little slow V6 that looks nice to me and I'll be happy with it. Medically a V8 is not an option for me. I'd love a Cobra, a Shelby, a 69 Coupe, or preferrably a 429, but I just don't see it in my future. :)

(Why would anyone pay sticker??)

It goes without saying that any new Cobra, or Shelby 500, for that matter, will be more than a new V6, but I get what you were trying to say and I agree.

I am not trying to say my V6 is as good or better than a V8. I owned a 2002 GT Vert which I absolutely adored, so in my mind there is no comparison. I had a 16mm herniation removed from my spine last November. Its hard to drive a stick with that kind of pain... So... yeah, I'll drive my little slow V6 that looks nice to me and I'll be happy with it. Medically a V8 is not an option for me. I'd love a Cobra, a Shelby, a 69 Coupe, or preferrably a 429, but I just don't see it in my future. :)

(Why would anyone pay sticker??)

I really don't hold such disdain toward the V6 owners as others I guess. After all, if not for all those V6 sales, there'd be no chance in hell that Ford could produce vehicles like the Cobras, Mach 1's, GT500's, etc at a profit. You can still get an automatic GT though. :)

(Ask the suckers paying ridiculous markups on Shelbys!!)

I am jumping in here to back up Trinity on what seems some people are taking a simple question I had and making something out of this. Many of you do not know about the Stampede Edition Mustangs and I was wanting to make it known about these Mustangs. It is very true since the the early Mustangs were produced that V6 models have always been the driving force behind Mustang sales which still applies today. V8 owners should give those of us with V6 models the same comradery on the streets, shows and other venues as well. I have been with the MCA national club since the 80's and the only one I honestly say I am a part of. There are local clubs in our area (Dallas) that will point their nose in the air if you do not have a V8 Mustang and that really stinks. No matter what model of Mustangs we own and drive they are a symbol of our freedom and independence and our pride too! I am with Trinity on all she has said here and we are trying to find out where all 500 Stampede Edition Mustangs are at.

Can we all just be one happy family?

I am jumping in here to back up Trinity on what seems some people are taking a simple question I had and making something out of this. Many of you do not know about the Stampede Edition Mustangs and I was wanting to make it known about these Mustangs. It is very true since the the early Mustangs were produced that V6 models have always been the driving force behind Mustang sales which still applies today. V8 owners should give those of us with V6 models the same comradery on the streets, shows and other venues as well. I have been with the MCA national club since the 80's and the only one I honestly say I am a part of. There are local clubs in our area (Dallas) that will point their nose in the air if you do not have a V8 Mustang and that really stinks. No matter what model of Mustangs we own and drive they are a symbol of our freedom and independence and our pride too! I am with Trinity on all she has said here and we are trying to find out where all 500 Stampede Edition Mustangs are at.

Can we all just be one happy family?

What happens when you find out who each car's owner is? :reading:

The idea behind having the registry is to find out where those of us who have the Stampede Editions are located, where the cars were bought, be in touch with fellow owners to much more. It will be fun learning how many of each color were produced, interior choices, stereos and mods others are doing. It will also be helpful in keeping a history going of these ponies. The last regional Mustang that was made for TX was back in 1967/1968 called the Bluebonnet Special. As we get more owners found then it would be neat to have a meet in TX where Stampede owners can get together. We are an exclusive group already being only 500 these Mustangs made.

Perhaps, but as an owner of both a Pony Package AND a Stampede I can tell you that I have driven both and they DO perform differently. The Pony Package (the 2007) fishtails and doesn't handle as tightly in corners. Now, maybe that is the Traction Control on the Stampede, maybe not. I'm not a mechanic and I don't work for Ford so I couldn't tell you for sure. I just know from experience how these two cars handle.

There are a plethora of reasons why two identical cars may handle differently on any given day, the presence of Traction Control being the most obvious in this case. At any rate, the Pony Package & the Stampede have identical suspensions, from shocks & spring rating to sway bar sizes. That's all there is to it.

• 2 weeks later...
There are a plethora of reasons why two identical cars may handle differently on any given day, the presence of Traction Control being the most obvious in this case. At any rate, the Pony Package & the Stampede have identical suspensions, from shocks & spring rating to sway bar sizes. That's all there is to it.

Duly noted. Thank you for the information. I think the confusing issue, for me at least, is having two of these vehicles and doing literal side-by-side comparisons of what is in the 2007 Pony Package and what is on the Stampede Edition (+2006 Pony Package) and driving both vehicles on a regular basis. We are still looking for any and all information on the Stampedes so all input is appreciated. Thanks for the response!

• 4 weeks later...
Could have had a

846990_51c74910db_m.jpg

Don't forget about car insurance for those extra two cylinders! I know living in the BOS-NY-WASH corridor, the insurance premium for a GT was enough to keep me out of one.

Hey, the way I see it, a V6 Mustang is a heck of a lot better than NO Mustang!

GH

Edited by GaryH507