Expedition or Tahoe

F350

I am looking into upgrading the wifes Explorer she has driven the Tahoe and Loved it . The question I have is will she love the Expedition as much on a test drive she is very set on the Tahoe ? ANy good or bad info that you can shed on this to help me out ? The only reason I would get the Tahoe is the Warranty

I am looking into upgrading the wifes Explorer she has driven the Tahoe and Loved it . The question I have is will she love the Expedition as much on a test drive she is very set on the Tahoe ? ANy good or bad info that you can shed on this to help me out ? The only reason I would get the Tahoe is the Warranty

The warranty difference is only usable if you drive a LOT .. the Ford 5y/60k is enough .. but if you drive 20k miles a year, the GM 5y/100k mile warranty will be useful.

The big thing with the Expedition of course is the fold flat third row of seats. In the Tahoe, you have to manually remove the seats and store them, while in the Expedition you just fold them to the floor and you are done.

This is caused by the other big difference between them - the Tahoe has solid rear axle, while the Expedition has independent rear suspension.

The Expedition is also rated to tow more than any Tahoe and than most Suburbans. The Expy also has larger interior space. And Expy also has 6speed transmission, while the Tahoe gets 4speed.

But Tahoe get slightly better fuel economy, and if you can wait to the fall, the Tahoe will also have a 6speed transmission and thus even better fuel economy. Finally, Tahoe will be getting a two mode hybrid this fall, with fuel economy at about 25mpg if not more - of course it will be mad expensive.

That is about it .. they are perfectly comparable in everything else, and thus if she is undecided after the facts above, then looks and price will decide. Be sure to check out www.truedelta.com for accurate price comparisons. Just and automated comparison says Expedition is about $3k cheaper.

Igor

Edited by igor

Some very good comparison points by Igor above, I've just went through the same dilemma and have chosen the Expedition. I'll provide some other thoughts I didn't see added above. I was comparing a fully loaded Expedition Limited to a fully loaded Tahoe LTZ.

• Not only is there a fold flat third row seat, but also the second row seat folds flat as well. In the Tahoe they only folded up. This was big for me to carry large flat objects.
  • Second row seating was better in the Expy. I am very tall and when I had the drivers seat set for my comfort in the Tahoe, there wasn't even room for my 7 year old to sit behind me. In the Expy I can sit in the back drivers side seat (albeit not comfortably) when the front is set to my requirements.
  • The middle portion of the Expeditions 2nd row seat moves forward 11 inches allowing access to a baby in a car seat and also proves functional for other needs. Very handy
  • The third row seating in the Tahoe is a joke and is not large enough for anybody but very small children. I am over 6'-4" and can sit comfortably in the Expedition third row seat.
  • 2nd row bench seats in the Expedition recline, I believe that feature is only available with the 2nd row buckets on the Tahoe.
  • The front air dam on the Tahoe 4x4 is very low and becomes a detriment (acts as a snow plow) in off road and winter driving.
  • With the addition of a rear dvd player in the Tahoe you lose the six cd holder capability of the radio. Not so with Expy. Also, I forget the details now but I believe you couldn't listen to a CD up front in the Tahoe when the kids were watching a DVD in the rear (something like that was kind of funky).
  • Expedition has heated and cooled seats compared to the Tahoes just heated.
  • Spare tire on the Expedition is the same size as the other tires. On the Tahoe if you get the 20" tires you are still getting a 17" spare, very annoying.
  • Expy has the keyless entry. I guess this doesn't matter much with the OnStar of the Tahoe, but I had it before and I love it. Go to the beach and just leave the keys and everything else in the car, and then just hit the combo when I return. Very convenient.
  • Expedition has the rear quarter panel windows that flip open, not available in the Tahoe. Very nice summer option.
  • Biggest factor was price. Things change constantly but when I brought Ford was offering $2000 off, plus after visiting their website I was offered another $500 off coupon. This on top of a vehicle that was already about $5000 cheaper than the Tahoe. No comparison.

Well I know there were others but that's all I can think of now. Both are very nice vehicles but for me the price and options made it a very easy choice. Good luck.

Welll went to the Ford dealer and the wife drove the Expedition personally I think they are better than the Tahoe ( but I am FORD) she could care less . She went to drive then we got roped into sitting in the dealership for 2 hours ,she told them what she wanted for a deal sales guys says we will try to meet the number and if in fact they did reach the desired number would she buy th Ex ove r the Tahoe she stated lets see the numbers first . Sales manager says we will call you back that night 2 days later still no call on the deal I wish they could change the way dealers play these games . I myself have had 7 fords to date between me and the wife so I try to get the wife to stay in a Ford and Now I have to deal with a Dealership that does not even call me back (good or bad ) is it just me or does anyone else have this trouble :shrug:

go to a different dealer ....

really - the Expy IS better than the Tahoe and is cheaper (unless GM is dumping the Tahoes) .. email the Internet Departments of the dealers around you, and ask for numbers on vehicles that they have on the lot close to what you want... I have heard of plenty of people getting the whole deal done over the internet .. then just coming in, making sure everything checks out, sign the papers and drive off ..

internet departments are your friends - they usually deal with the "new kind" of buyer who knows his stuff and has no desire to haggle to no end .. so they offer Invoice straight up, etc etc ... and you have a pleasant purchase experience.

Igor

Welll went to the Ford dealer and the wife drove the Expedition personally I think they are better than the Tahoe ( but I am FORD) she could care less . She went to drive then we got roped into sitting in the dealership for 2 hours ,she told them what she wanted for a deal sales guys says we will try to meet the number and if in fact they did reach the desired number would she buy th Ex ove r the Tahoe she stated lets see the numbers first . Sales manager says we will call you back that night 2 days later still no call on the deal I wish they could change the way dealers play these games . I myself have had 7 fords to date between me and the wife so I try to get the wife to stay in a Ford and Now I have to deal with a Dealership that does not even call me back (good or bad ) is it just me or does anyone else have this trouble :shrug:

Where are you located? That sucks that they did that, and I wouldnt give that dealer the time of day. They should have had those numbers to you right away.

I agree with igor. Inquire online first and they should get to you within 24 hours if they are a good dealership. I went through 2 dealerships before I ended up at 3rd. The First dealership couldn't care less if I was standing there waiting for 20 minutes, they were too busy eating pizza (they have since gone out of business). the 2nd actually was a little better and I actually ordered a vehicle me and my wife wanted. They said 6-8 weeks and that was fine. What went wrong with it is that they never let me see the final order form the day I signed. They said since it was a Saturday, they will fax me the final order form on Monday. Well they never did and after several calls and several "promises" to fax me over the info, I went in person. Sure enough there were 3 options that were wrong. The sales manager had no desire to get the information together for me and he said I was a "pain in the ass" :ohsnap:

I promptly canceled my order on the spot, got my deposit back and gave him a few choice words. He continued to insult me even as I left the building, and to say the least I went back into the building to confront him. He realized he was wrong for taking it too far and he tried to apologize in front of his staff, but it was too late. I have never been so pissed in my life and I was thinking no wonder Ford was heading in the wrong direct!

I told my wife that the next dealership will be Fords last chance to salvage a sale. So i asked for a quote online, got a call within 1 hour, went to dealership and signed a deal in 45 minutes for the same EXPY we ordered at dealer #2 for $3000.00 LESS!!!!!!!

Things have a strange way of working out.

Sorry for the long post, but not all dealerships are bad, so go else where. that original dealership obviously doesn't want your business.

I agree with igor. Inquire online first and they should get to you within 24 hours if they are a good dealership. I went through 2 dealerships before I ended up at 3rd. The First dealership couldn't care less if I was standing there waiting for 20 minutes, they were too busy eating pizza (they have since gone out of business). the 2nd actually was a little better and I actually ordered a vehicle me and my wife wanted. They said 6-8 weeks and that was fine. What went wrong with it is that they never let me see the final order form the day I signed. They said since it was a Saturday, they will fax me the final order form on Monday. Well they never did and after several calls and several "promises" to fax me over the info, I went in person. Sure enough there were 3 options that were wrong. The sales manager had no desire to get the information together for me and he said I was a "pain in the ass" :ohsnap:

I promptly canceled my order on the spot, got my deposit back and gave him a few choice words. He continued to insult me even as I left the building, and to say the least I went back into the building to confront him. He realized he was wrong for taking it too far and he tried to apologize in front of his staff, but it was too late. I have never been so pissed in my life and I was thinking no wonder Ford was heading in the wrong direct!

I told my wife that the next dealership will be Fords last chance to salvage a sale. So i asked for a quote online, got a call within 1 hour, went to dealership and signed a deal in 45 minutes for the same EXPY we ordered at dealer #2 for $3000.00 LESS!!!!!!!

Things have a strange way of working out.

Sorry for the long post, but not all dealerships are bad, so go else where. that original dealership obviously doesn't want your business.

Nice post ,dont you just wish Ford would send out people to check out there dealerships . Kinda like the surprise shopper you never know when or who it may be ,maybe then everyone would get a good experience

OK- I've got two Ford's and a Silverado in the driveway. Owned an Expedition ('03).

1) The Tahoes can be more expensive than an Expy, depending on equipment level. Typical Tahoe is a full-load LTZ with Nav, DVD, and Roof. Stickers for about $52,000 or so. You can bounce that a few grand without a problem. That combination is actually tough to find- cheaper models are a dime a dozen, and don't move well.

2) The Tahoe will get approximately the same gas mileage in town that the Expy get's on the highway. (real life, not EPA)

3) The Tahoe has a lower ride height, and the interior is designed with the fairer sex in mind.

Make no mistake- Chevy's offering doesn't even pretend to be a truck anymore. They are luxury, mommy station wagons. The fact that they have 4WD and can pull a boat are completely secondary to their mission in life, which is to haul the family comfortably and safely. The new generation was designed specifically to be mom-friendly- meaning as little "truck-like" as humanly possible. Was GM wrong? Last year, GM pushed over 350,000 Tahoes and Suburbans out the door in a down year for big SUV's. That outsold the Expy by a margin of almost 10 to 1. Ford cancelled the Excursion due to lack of interest in the same time period. This year, sales are up about 26%, and GM market share in the segment is pushing 60%. Not only is Ford having problems with the new gen Tahoe/Suburban, the imports can't even get their foot in the door.

There are few market segments that GM absolutely owns- but this is one of them.

Edited by PolarBear

thats sounds similar to my experience. I called around town and spoke with two or three different salesman from different dealerships. My time span for buying a new expedition was either 1-2 days or not at all, and I told the salesmen this. I told each of them what I wanted and told them to find it. Not a single one of them called me back initially, so I decided to look for myself and found the exact one I wanted, called them, drove over there and made the deal. 2 weeks later I get a phone call from one of the other salesmen, telling me they found the vehicle. Can you believe this, I made it clear up front I was going to purchase one if the numbers worked in the next two days, and it takes 2 weeks for the fuc....er to call me back. Ridiculous, but it worked well for me.

Edited by NickCarbon

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a few trips to a new dealer still No Expedition for the wife yet . I am getting killed on the trade a 04 Eddie Bauer Explorer 40,000 miles in good condition they are willing to give me anywhere from 12,900 to 14,500 I would have thought I could get more but Thats it . I even tried to deal on a 06 Expedition loaded XLT with all the options we needed but no deal they wanted to pay 499 a month for 6 years on a leftover I could have added $40 to the payments and got in a 07 . I sure hope they are willing to do a little better deal here soon or else I might not be able to get the wife into a Expedition over the Tahoe . DOes anyone know what the 06 Expedition hade for rebates the dealership would not tell me ,all they said was that Ford gave them the rebates ? I hope the prices or incentives will get better the dealers were telling me they are not selling to fast sorrry for rambling but I cant even think straight after vsiting these dealerships of late my brain is fried :cry:

Well after a few trips to a new dealer still No Expedition for the wife yet . I am getting killed on the trade a 04 Eddie Bauer Explorer 40,000 miles in good condition they are willing to give me anywhere from 12,900 to 14,500 I would have thought I could get more but Thats it . I even tried to deal on a 06 Expedition loaded XLT with all the options we needed but no deal they wanted to pay 499 a month for 6 years on a leftover I could have added $40 to the payments and got in a 07 . I sure hope they are willing to do a little better deal here soon or else I might not be able to get the wife into a Expedition over the Tahoe . DOes anyone know what the 06 Expedition hade for rebates the dealership would not tell me ,all they said was that Ford gave them the rebates ? I hope the prices or incentives will get better the dealers were telling me they are not selling to fast sorrry for rambling but I cant even think straight after vsiting these dealerships of late my brain is fried :cry:

thats about right as far as trade in goes, i traded in my 05 with around 25K miles and got around 18,500, but had to go to three dealerships to get it.