UAW to meet with Toyota Employees This Weekend

manufmanager

I rarely get emotional; especially at work but this story really hit a nerve. Before leaving Ford, I was in salaried management and had a very good relationship with the local union. I would feel betrayed if my plant manager went over to a Toyota Plant in the middle of our crisis to help them out. According to the article below, as a run up to negotiations, the UAW is focusing on a solution for it's members. They are going to try and recoup their lost income by recruiting unhappy Toyota Workers into the UAW. Most Toyota workers see the UAW as more of a problem than solution but I am furious with their timing and intentions. I hope to this upsets many as it did me. :censored:

UAW Meets with Toyota Workers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely get emotional; especially at work but this story really hit a nerve. Before leaving Ford, I was in salaried management and had a very good relationship with the local union. I would feel betrayed if my plant manager went over to a Toyota Plant in the middle of our crisis to help them out. According to the article below, as a run up to negotiations, the UAW is focusing on a solution for it's members. They are going to try and recoup their lost income by recruiting unhappy Toyota Workers into the UAW. Most Toyota workers see the UAW as more of a problem than solution but I am furious with their timing and intentions. I hope to this upsets many as it did me. :censored:

UAW Meets with Toyota Workers

The only ones that should be worried is Toyota's management. I suppose they could threaten to close the plant, but the timing would prevent that. Since you left Ford several months ago, is by chance your new employer Toyota? Afterall, you have suggested yourself in an earlier post "has the UAW locals or international right sized proportionally?? I don't think so...". I have to agree, so it is not like they would be spreading themselves thin. Unionizing some or all of the transplants only helps us in the long-run.

The only ones that should be worried is Toyota's management. I suppose they could threaten to close the plant, but the timing would prevent that. Since you left Ford several months ago, is by chance your new employer Toyota? Afterall, you have suggested yourself in an earlier post "has the UAW locals or international right sized proportionally?? I don't think so...". I have to agree, so it is not like they would be spreading themselves thin. Unionizing some or all of the transplants only helps us in the long-run.

I am completely out of the automotive business after 10 years. I still have emotional ties to my previous career, hence why I still post on this board.

Toyota's Management should be concerned about a unionized Toyota. The UAW really doesn't have any success stories under it's belt. What really would the UAW do to/for Toyota? It would be an interesting conversation...

It is the only hope for UAW members, plain and simple. It is also the only hope for Toyota workers, because as soon as the big 2 slash wages, Toyoty is going to walz in and IMPOSE a wage cut to match so as they can keep the advantage. Remember, they can IMPOSE almost anything as long as legal, because they are not under contract.

In my opinion, (and probably only mine) these automakers would've been UAW long ago were it not for the workings in the union itself. The arguement that the transplants have had was valid if you ask me. It was not about money perse, it was about how the union went against the workings of what made these companys successful. I remember the uproar at my Ford plant when they started employee involvement, all the way down to the Ford production system today. The union was scared to death, not to mention those wanting in the union cushy jobs..........also known as the SHITHOUSE LAWYERS, told everyone how it was a sellout.

What we and GM are doing is working! How do we know this?

Because Toyoty is attempting to lower wages by keeping temps, their quality is suffering for it I might add, (although they will never admit it) and the workers are getting nervous there as their employers are for the first time showing concern.

Remember, TOYOTY has an advantage. If there was no advantage, how would things shake out in 5yrs?

Toyoty and friends don't want to find out, lolol. This is now the time to get the bluecollar workers of that company, but the question remains--------->does the UAW have enough people that speak common English? If they go in there with dog-eat-dog,(woof woof) or whipsawing, (the old lumberjack routine) these people are going to look at them like they are a sandwich short of a full picnic basket. They MUST make a compelling case as to how they can keep the peoples jobs, get them more benefits, etc.

If they go in telling them they will DEMAND this or that from Toyoty, it is over, period, they are done. But if they go in as concerned diplomats, using political logic, talking English instead of UAW speak, they may yet get them onboard.

If they do get them onboard, you people need to get their e-mail addresses by using your imagination lol, and start the campaign WITH THEM to have the ability to vote for YOUR, and THEIR international. But that is a different problem, one thing at a time.

Last I checked, the Union represents the workers, not the greedy companies the workers are employed by.

Pioneer has stated an absolute fact. It makes no difference where the company or corporation is based, it is about representing the workers. That is what a union does......or is supposed to do.

By the way------------>why is it that the obviously liberal leaning media is so against unions. I do not quite understand their logic. Media is more liberal than not--------->media appears at least slightly anti union----------->unions always support liberals. Therfore for intensive purposes, media should be pro union. I could understand Fox against unions, but the rest of them, it is beyond me.

The only explanation that I can come to is--------->the media is so green ergo they love Toyoty so much, unions are expendable in their eyes for the greater good in the world according to them.

And that my UAW bretheren, may be the start of not only protecting ourselves, but protecting them, and also bringing labor parity back to the auto industry. With them on board, that would cement a Chinese block of vehicles without tariffs. Consumers will scream, but in all actuality--------->with the ability of ALL autoworkers to buy products, it protects the consumers interest as much as ours.

The increase in cost would be minimal compared to overall cost, and the security it would bring should be well worth it! Not to mention it would help insure choice in the marketplace, and Americas freedom is based on options and/or choice.

Heres some facts on what the TOyota employees deal with.

Toyota is hiring temporary workers and they get NO benefits (imagine that). They get $13.00 an hour and they are put on very hard jobs. They have to work for 2 years in order to be considered for a full time position. If they get hurt before the 2 years, they pretty much don't have a chance of getting a full time job. Some just disappear. All employees are treated as 2nd Class Citizens when they are hurt. If they can't handle the job when they come back after surgery, they pretty much loose their job. They also have to sign a waiver when they get fired, or voluntarily quit.

They fire people after they go thru their employee/management court system. When an employee is in trouble, they have so many management members and equal hourly members listen to all the facts. On two guys that were there, the vote was for the employees in question, but they fired them anyhow. Exactly opposite of what their employee handbook (not contract) tells them will happen.

They have already lost some benefits, yet Toyota continues to make record profits each and every year. They win awards every year at this plant. They are about to become #1 in the auto business, but they hire temps. This Pant makes the best selling car in it's group.

They have no protection, the people are starting to be worn out after 18 years.

Another guy heard about this meeting from another state and came. He said the same things are going on at his place. No wonder they may beat the Big Three. They are reducing their labor cost.........

Don't you all get it?? The american auto is lossing big time which means no UAW dues coming in, so they are running to the money!!!!! How else are they going to fund all the Vegas trips, and all those luches at the 8mile titty bars??? Next you'll see Black Lake be sold to China and then the UAW can open up a Kentucky horse track and play ground for the union dues to go to!! Wake up the UAW is only going to help there pockets!!!!

Don't you all get it?? The american auto is lossing big time which means no UAW dues coming in, so they are running to the money!!!!! How else are they going to fund all the Vegas trips, and all those luches at the 8mile titty bars??? Next you'll see Black Lake be sold to China and then the UAW can open up a Kentucky horse track and play ground for the union dues to go to!! Wake up the UAW is only going to help there pockets!!!!

Zoomer,

I agree with you. Unfortunately, we have to hope they get this right. Personally, I would be devising a way to be able to remove the international as much as possible; not because they don't get it, but because they were to arrogant and got it to late.

Of course they are going to follow the money! But the truth is-------->money is a powerful thing. And if it makes them do the right thing, while the reasoning for doing it is wrong, the outcome is still good.

Still, if I was staying because I was a tweener, (beTWEEN having not enough seniority to retire, but to much seniority to take the buyout and leave) for my own longevity I would consider how I and people like me, could change the way this goofiness works. If you gotta stay, you better fix the UAW which is your part of the equation, or you are gonna go from one crisis to another.

If you won't put forth the effort, then everyone together is gonna lose. You may not be able to design Ford Motors vehicles, and you may not be able to set the way dealers do business.......yet!!!! But you can control much more of how our union does its business, and if you don't impose your will, your road will be a rocky one to very possibly a cliff.

If you don't want that cliff to be at least partially your responsibility, then you better start talking around to see who is willing to take that stand. Without this company, you are not union cause the unions only power is there. Figure out how to save the company, and while doing it, figure out how to make the union rational enough to help make it happen. Going to Las Vegas to get a rubber stamp for international policys does not fall in the category of saving the company, or protecting you the worker.

The sooner you realize this, the better chance you have of saving your job, and those peoples jobs around you that you care about.

Toyota is hiring temporary workers and they get NO benefits (imagine that). They get $13.00 an hour and they are put on very hard jobs. They have to work for 2 years in order to be considered for a full time position. If they get hurt before the 2 years, they pretty much don't have a chance of getting a full time job. Some just disappear. All employees are treated as 2nd Class Citizens when they are hurt. If they can't handle the job when they come back after surgery, they pretty much loose their job. They also have to sign a waiver when they get fired, or voluntarily quit.

They fire people after they go thru their employee/management court system. When an employee is in trouble, they have so many management members and equal hourly members listen to all the facts. On two guys that were there, the vote was for the employees in question, but they fired them anyhow. Exactly opposite of what their employee handbook (not contract) tells them will happen.

They have already lost some benefits, yet Toyota continues to make record profits each and every year. They win awards every year at this plant. They are about to become #1 in the auto business, but they hire temps. This Pant makes the best selling car in it's group.

Another guy heard about this meeting from another state and came. He said the same things are going on at his place. No wonder they may beat the Big Three. They are reducing their labor cost.........

I personally dont have any sympathy for them. They are the ones that have been choosing to vote no for union representation. If i were Gettlefinger i would say that we will try to organize Toyota again in 5 more years. Then lets see how the slant eyed bastards treat their employees the next 5 years! These people have been playing both sides against the middle for years. I say fuckem, let em suffer for awhile! The uaw has spent too much of my union dues trying to organize these clowns already. They use us to get better benefits and dont have to pay union dues.

All that and people still line up to get the jobs? Go figure

You left out that they get quarterly bouses usually 10-15k every quarter.

How many of you that bitch about how the union does things bothers to go to a union meeting and has the balls to stand up and confront them?? Anyone can get on the computer and type with the door closed. Stand up --have some guts--or lay back and take what the Company and the Union does while you sit at your computer alone and bitch.

If the UAW doesn't have numbers it doesn't have power. We really need the power to get the Government to pay attention to how workers are treated, health care, etc.... Simple as that. I don't always agree with how things go, but I say what I think. No, I'm not appreciated by some but, they know what I think.

It's basic human treatment that the union fights for. And if you don't believe thats what is going on, then stand up and say something. Write a letter, change things, YOU are also the UNION.

GEESH we need some old baby boomers from the 60's instead of all the whiners. Get up and do something.....or watch it all go away.

How many of you that bitch about how the union does things bothers to go to a union meeting and has the balls to stand up and confront them?? Anyone can get on the computer and type with the door closed. Stand up --have some guts--or lay back and take what the Company and the Union does while you sit at your computer alone and bitch.

If the UAW doesn't have numbers it doesn't have power. We really need the power to get the Government to pay attention to how workers are treated, health care, etc.... Simple as that. I don't always agree with how things go, but I say what I think. No, I'm not appreciated by some but, they know what I think.

It's basic human treatment that the union fights for. And if you don't believe thats what is going on, then stand up and say something. Write a letter, change things, YOU are also the UNION.

GEESH we need some old baby boomers from the 60's instead of all the whiners. Get up and do something.....or watch it all go away.

I hope they hurry up and get the union vote i really want to buy a new Toyota, LOL.

Just out of curiosity----Lets just say we unionized the whole lot Toyota,Honda,Nissan would they cease to be the "bad guy"transplants or would they become "North American"like the rest of the Big 3.The union could give a shit less about work practices they damn sure dont care about the work practices within the current membership. Its about money.Notice I said North American how many of them give a shit about the labor practices in Mexico? And how many of us own Fusions,Milans,Zyphers?

Just out of curiosity----Lets just say we unionized the whole lot Toyota,Honda,Nissan would they cease to be the "bad guy"transplants or would they become "North American"like the rest of the Big 3.The union could give a shit less about work practices they damn sure dont care about the work practices within the current membership. Its about money.Notice I said North American how many of them give a shit about the labor practices in Mexico? And how many of us own Fusions,Milans,Zyphers?

Also will it be ok to run out and buy a Toyota, Honda and Nissan? The union has fought for years to protect the "American Job" now there running after the money. They should be working with the big 3 to understand that these designs aren't working and need to be fixed!! The top old men at international all get to see the new designs years before they are put into production so there just as responcible for letting all these poor designed cars out of the box!!!!!

The only thing the union is going to do for them is make it almost totally impossible to get rid of the low life scum that doesn't come to work or doesn't want to work. They will drag them down like the drug down the big 3, then they'll pack their bags and head to Mexico just like the big 3 are doing. The union needs to stop protecting these non workers and give the company some power to get rid of them, PERIOD!!!! When I came in if you so much as missed a day of work in you 1st 90 days you were GONE, no if, ands, or butts!! In the last few years people with less than 90 days would lay out, get medical restrictions, and flat ass out say "I can't do that job" And there's the union holding their hand, protecting them, walking the line with them letting them pick out which job they want. TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!

Also will it be ok to run out and buy a Toyota, Honda and Nissan?

Yeah that will be an interesting scenario, if that plays out. All these people that raise all kinds of hell about the imports and trash talk them will probably do a full reversal if the union unionized them. Kind of like most of the people I work with (turn coats), your best buddy to your face but will roll you under the bus and back over you 2 or 3 times if they get the chance.

The only thing the union is going to do for them is make it almost totally impossible to get rid of the low life scum that doesn't come to work or doesn't want to work. They will drag them down like the drug down the big 3, then they'll pack their bags and head to Mexico just like the big 3 are doing. The union needs to stop protecting these non workers and give the company some power to get rid of them, PERIOD!!!! When I came in if you so much as missed a day of work in you 1st 90 days you were GONE, no if, ands, or butts!! In the last few years people with less than 90 days would lay out, get medical restrictions, and flat ass out say "I can't do that job" And there's the union holding their hand, protecting them, walking the line with them letting them pick out which job they want. TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!

Soo true just wish all the good workers would stand up and complain about this protection by the union, I've always hated the statement "its not my job" and so many LAZY people get away with it!! These few people give the good works bad names outside the union and the union needs to stand up and get rid of these lazy workers!!!!!

Soo true just wish all the good workers would stand up and complain about this protection by the union, I've always hated the statement "its not my job" and so many LAZY people get away with it!! These few people give the good works bad names outside the union and the union needs to stand up and get rid of these lazy workers!!!!!

HA thats wishful thinking. Until the union gets rid of the mindset that all deserve equal representation the problem just grows like a cancer.The union knows who the problem workers are they repesent them all the time but when a workhorse has a real problem its like pissing on a flat rock.What really blew my mind is that when plants started to close and relocations were opened I thought how in the hell do people with that kind of work history and all the medical restrictions even get considered?Answer=The Union!!!!!Even better alot of them chose to puchase and drive imports.Talk about biting the hand that feeds.

"IT'S NOT MY JOB!" That's the standard answer from a UAW member. Let me give you a CLASSIC example of a bunch of LAZY ASS UNION WORKERS and the "IT'S NOT MY JOB!" quote. A few years ago a friend of mine was a front shop repair man, they bring him a truck, ALL the interior is soaking wet, everything has to come out, seats, carpet, console, IP, everything is ruined. He asked the supervisor what happened, he said the truck went down the final line with the water test and the power sun roof was left open. My friend asked him why didn't anyone close it, he said when they went over and asked that same question to the 26 employees that came in to contact with the truck BEFORE it went into the water test they all said "IT'S NOT MY JOB!" NICE HUH!!! Now 3 of the 26 people on that line are electrical inspectors and their job is to test the power sun roof to make sure it functions, but when they asked the guy that tested the truck why he didn't go a head and close it all the way shut, he said "it's only my job to test it and make sure it works IT'S NOT MY JOB to shut it!" They tried to discipline the guy for not closing it all the way and ruining the interior of the truck but guess who came to the rescue, you got it the SUPER union!!! After I heard that story I KNEW my job was in jeopardy, there's no way in the world a company can be successful with people like this. And this is just ONE example, I've seen this same shit "IT'S NOT MY JOB!" scenario played out many, many times and it's not going to stop until the union stops protecting this kind of shit!! . I mean with all that happened, all the market share that’s been lost, and all the plants that have closed, this kind of shit hasn't stopped. I have several friends at DTP and they say it is worse up there than it was in NAP. SO all I can say is GOD help ya'll!! As far as I'm concerned the big 3 are DOOMED and that's why I signed up for the buy out.