Tundra Sales Weak Despite Heavy Incentives

range

Despite large cash incentives, cash trade-in allowances for competing brands, deep dealer discounts and an expensive media campaign, the new Tundra managed to only sell 13,196 units in March.

That's about 1,000 more than last year. Hardly seems worth the effort.

What this means is Toyota is going to keep increasing their cash rebates, and heavy discounts.

If they maintain that 13,000 for a full year, it would put them about 160,000. They were aiming for 200,000 if I remember. I wonder how the Tacoma did. Did the Tundra steal any of those sales?

Toyota will meet whatever target they are willing to pay for.

The fact they are dumping this much money in incentives on a brand new vehicle shows they will spare no expense to save face.

Edited by range

My local newspaper (Newsday) had a road test of the Tundra in the Sunday edition. It was luke warm at best and the writer said something that I never dreamed he would say. He was "happy" to return his tester. Holy S--T. Almost fell off my chair when I read that.

My local newspaper (Newsday) had a road test of the Tundra in the Sunday edition. It was luke warm at best and the writer said something that I never dreamed he would say. He was "happy" to return his tester. Holy S--T. Almost fell off my chair when I read that.

Does anyone have a breakdown for toyota sals in March?

Anyways the tundra seems to be a failure, but the good news for toyota is now they can say they have a competitive full size truck.

The Tundra does not really bring any thing new to the table. And Toyota's reliabilty in large P/U's is no better than any one else and some may argue it is worse even. (like me)

They really have nothing to offer over the domestics. They will cater to the holy than thou import crowd. But to unseat the day to day average joe outta his GMC Dodge or Ford is a long shot.

the Tundra has been flogged on TV at almost comercial break. But it takes more than advertizing to sell vehicals in this segment.

And so far the Tundra does not have more. Especially with rumours of Ball joint failers again rearing it's ugly head in the new Tundra for Yota. it is going to be long up hill battle. Hopefully one they lose.

Matthew

I just noticed a huge rise in Camry customer complaints at the NHTSA web site. So far the 2007 Camry has amassed almost 130 complaints for the 2007 model. This is very high even factoring in their high sales numbers. Sorry for being off topic, but I just had to share that.

I just noticed a huge rise in Camry customer complaints at the NHTSA web site. So far the 2007 Camry has amassed almost 130 complaints for the 2007 model. This is very high even factoring in their high sales numbers. Sorry for being off topic, but I just had to share that.

The new Camry has lots of problems with it, not the least of which has been the transmission.

You don't hear much about it in the media, but Toyota quality is "legendary".

Their quality is also imaginary when it comes to several of their vehicle lines.

The new Camry has lots of problems with it, not the least of which has been the transmission.

You don't hear much about it in the media, but Toyota quality is "legendary".

Their quality is also imaginary when it comes to several of their vehicle lines.

OK, let's face it, there is a lot of bias here, or should I call it Ford Pride. I am with you guys, but don't underestimate Toyota. Their quality is real, there is no question about that. Let's not get all cocky, they have earned their place in the market. We'll get there too, and have both style and quality, which is what it would take to excel.

Haven't driven the Tundra, but I am sure it's an ok truck. I am lucky enough to have seen the new 2009 F-150, and let me tell you, it is an amazing looking truck!!!!!