Thinkin of getting a New Focus ZXW

FRdesign

I have always found the Focus wagon appealing and don't understand why it doesn't sell better.

I wanted the Wagon, but my wife could get over the "Station Wagon=Boring" mentaility. She just didn't want it, so we bought the ZX5, which is just a smaller wagon with a sloping rear hatch, and less cargo room....go figure!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I, as most here know am not a fan of FWD...to say the least.

Feb 17, I bought a 2005 Liquid Gray Focus ST, 5 spd, 2.3L, heated leather and suede seats, moonroof, 6 disc-in dash audiophile stereo, PW, PL, CC, Traction Control, foglights, 4 wheel discs, SVT and ST170 suspension combo, 16" P6's on 5 spoke alloys. All this was factory, the only option I'm missing is seat side airbags.....

MSRP was $20,490, with X-plan & rebate, I paid $16,272 +TTT= $18,273 out the door.

I have added medium dark tint, Steeda cold air and billet MAF kit, and switched out to Mobil 1 at 2200 miles, (last week I hit that).

I am planning to replace the factory anti roll bars witht the Steeda set, put on the 2004 SVT 10 spoke wheels in charcoal or black, upgrade to SVT or Cobra brakes with the kit from Steeda.

Next yr I may put the Cosworth Intake/cams/exhaust kit that gets 260hp on it, but frankly as a daily driver and occasional autocross car, I think it is a great deal.

I have been getting between 27 and 32mpg so far, when it really breaks in it should probably get better.

Oh, did I mention it runs 75-85mph on the highway and still gets that mileage?

What made me buy this was the 2002 SVT focus my youngest son bought in Nov with 25,000 miles on it, both are tons of fun to drive, and I saved about 10K over the Jetta GLI, which was outstanding overall, and about 9K over a Honda Accord V6 Ex, also amazing.

I am saving 8 gallons a week minimum, for the same commute over the Grand Marquis....

Once I get the GM sold, I will be back to 3 cars again....

I made a sensible, practical decision about a commuter car, and I generally don't do that, I just buy what I want, instead of the best for the task...

The Focus is a great car for the $$$, and who could ask for more?Plus it slays Civics etc. The stealth factor alone is worth the $$$!!!!!!!!! :)

The wagon was what I wanted, but NO 2.3 engine available in any other model.....

Edited by oldracer

The wagon was what I wanted, but NO 2.3 engine available in any other model.....

I'm with you there. Our ZX5 is a 5 speed 2.0L, but it's still a honking blast to drive. :P

I wish ours had the 2.3L in it. But moreover, I wish the 2.3 had more of a power edge on the 2.0.

I haven't driven the ST, but is the 15HP upgrade really that much of a boon? I know the suspension change affect the handling, but is it really that different a car?

What's worse is that only those who are familiar with the Focus lineup would even recognize the ST as something other than just a standard Focus. I'd like to have seen a more obvious exterior package to fit the theme of the car. I seen a Saleen Focus (But not the N2OS121) at the dealership the other day, and that was HOT. Too bad the interior of this one was standard low rent ZX3.....there wasn't even a tach! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I drove a 2.0 ZX3 and the difference in overall feel is major.....I think the torque and the smooth revving are noticably better. The base Focus feels much softer and has more body roll also.

The 4 wheel discs also are very much better than the stock brakes in feel and ability as well.

I suspect the difference is greater than the rating, as the exact same motor in the Mazda 3 is rated at 160 hp, vs 151 in the Focus ST....

I have the Steeda CAI, and Mobil 1 and now with 3900 miles, it is getting looser and faster, mpg are hovering around 28-32 and I rev it to redline frequently, though not all the time...it revs very quickly and is smooth right up to the 6850 rpm cutoff point.

I am enjoying this car, the 5 spd is also very smooth and fun to shift... a good deal all around as far as I can see.

I'v had a Focus ST for nearly 9 months and it is the perfect big city and mountain road car. It is invisible to Cops and pretty well beats any comparable 4 cylinder car for performance. In addition, the handking is almmost on a par with the Mazda Miata I traded in on it.

Its over the highway performance between Vancouver and Calgary is the equal of the Miata - 1000 km in 11 hours including all stops - through the high passes of the rocky mountains.

Of course, its not as ballsy as the '87 5.0 GT Mustang I had for 11 years, but it is way better assembled and a more comfortable highway car. Also, It is much easier to carve through traffic in a crowded city like Vancouver.

The priceless part is the stealth shutdown that leaves all sorts of vehicles standing at the light.

But, if the old software keeps selling, I'll be in the market for a either a new Mustang or an '01 Cobra. It's not logical but its fun.

• 3 weeks later...
After doin some math I found out the 2001 F150 i have costs too much in gas money.Getting a Focus would save $81.00 A week.

I decided on a ZXW SES last month, ordered one with every option except the sunroof, and had in about 5 weeks. Light Tundra, with the medium Pebble interior. It invoiced at $21,180, but I only paid $17,800, on the road. I have put about 1,000 miles on it so far, with no problems. Consumer Reports says "it inspires confidence", and it is true. It is fun to drive, and you feel like you have total control. The engine is great, quite and plenty of pickup for me. I averaged 31 mpg on my first tank, even at 65 mph. The cargo area is great, which is the main reason I decided on the Focus. The only disappointment is the radio - the one in my Tracer sounded better. No matter how I adjust it, it still sounds "flat" or "dead". The preminum sound in my Colony Park was 10 times better. But that is a minor issue for me, and compared to how impressed I have been with the car overall. I loved my Tracer wagon 7 years ago when I bought it, and still felt the same way when someone else drove it away. That is a big shoe to fill, but I think the Focus will turn out to be a good choice.

No matter how I adjust it, it still sounds "flat" or "dead". The preminum sound in my Colony Park was 10 times better.

I'm surprised by that. Our Focus has a great radio that I love to crank. It's just the base CD unit, but it has plenty of volume and calrity for me. My tastes tend to be hard rock, so perhaps other formats may not sound as good. Our 2000 had a good unit in it as well, with plenty of rumble.

I must admit that with just Treble and Bass controls, there are limited options for tuning the sound.

Update:

I got a Excaibrator SCT2, (Superchips), for the ST and have 3 tunes; 87, 89,93 octane.

I am running the 87 right now and the difference is about 10 hp....with no mileage penalty.

I raised my redline to 7000 rpm and now it reaches 60 in 2nd......

Got one for the GT also....WOW, but that is another story.

This thing is a blast as a commuter car.

Mine has the Sony Audiophole system and it is excellent with all types of music and Cd's are crystal clear.

Once I do the Steeda springs and sway bars, I will be autocrossing it and will report on how that goes.

I have also received an invitation to join PCA, ( Porsche Club of America), as a road race instructor, (screen name tells why...), I will then be able to track day the ST at Roebling Road and any other courses they use.

I have to renew my SCCA license as well.......so much for giving up racing I guess.... :slug:

I've been looking in to getting a wagon aswell but I know the rest of the world gets the C1 with a 2.0 duratorq with a six speed, and disc, talk about a wagon.

Just to let you know the 2.3 in the ST is not the same as the Mazda3. The 2.3 in the fusion is the same but not the focus. The Mazda 2.3 has variable timing on the intake side. Goes the same for the 2.0. Why Ford doesn't use it beats me?

So I'm torn apart, get a wagon, wait for the C1 focus, which we probably won't get, or wait for a B-segment. I just don't know.

DRyanC