Brakes Already

bowtiebigblock

WOW!! You folks are really tough on a guy. I am not a Ford flamer, I have been on vacation since shortly after I posted with no access to e-mail, to keep the better half off my AZZ. I have forwarded OAC Sparky my VIN and a detailed write up on my problem, for follow up. I love the car but am concerned about needing all 4 rotors turned so soon. As you can tell by my other cars I had choices, and I chose Ford and I'm glad I did. The only reason I joined this forum was to track the progress of Ford's launch, not to spy or mole or flame. Some of you need to take a chill pill!!

Hope you had a nice vacation. Glad to see you back. I am sure i say this on behalf of the others who doubted your authenticity as well as myself, that it is easy to write someone off when they come along make a big statement with their first post and then are unseen again as a drive-by flamer, be it Ford or anyone else, its just suspicious that way!

Hopefully the report that OAC Sparky can pull up will give more info.

I looked at the VIN (there was a small typo, but I think I found the right one).

There is "No warranty history" associated with your MKX. That doesn't mean that the work wasn't done, it means that it wasn't billed through normal warranty channels (or at least yet, but normally these are kept up to date) .

However, there IS a TSB that was released April 17, which may have been your problem.

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES

19720 2007 EDGE / MKX - BRAKE PULSATION/NOISE - LOW TIME IN SERVICE

SOME 2007MY EDGE/MKX MAY EXHIBIT BRAKE PULSATION OR NOISE AT LOW MILEAGE OR AT LOW TIME IN SERVICE. THIS NOISE AND/OR BRAKE PULSATION IS DUE TO EXCESSIVE RUST BUILD UP ON THE ROTORS. FOR REPAIR, REMOVE THIS RUST BUILD UP BY PERFORMING 10-20 AGGRESSIVE HARD BRAKE APPLICATIONS (ALMOST TO THE POINT OF ABS ACTIVATION) FROM A RELATIVELY HIGH SPEED TO CLEAN THE ROTOR SURFACE (THE BRAKE PADS ARE DESIGNED TO DO THIS). THE NOISE AND/OR PULSATION SHOULD BE FIXED AND NO RESURFACE OF THE ROTORS IS REQUIRED. IF ISSUE STILL EXISTS FOLLOW WORK SHOP MANUAL FOR DIAGNOSTICS AND REPAIR.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 04/17/2007

Now like I said, it would be unusual for all to be "out of round"; as from what I recall, these suspension sets come in sub-assembled already. The chances of you actually getting BOTH front and back bad (ie a defective batch) would be slim.

It may be that the dealership "jumped the gun" and turned the rotors as a "quick fix".

"DUE TO EXCESSIVE RUST BUILD UP ON THE ROTORS"

What causes this? Is it the crappy pads or the rotors? What type of pads are recommended? Ceramic, non-metallic?

Why would "crappy pads" rust rotors? (In actuality, the pads aren't "crappy". According to the TSB they're doing what they're supposed to.)

If you read the TSB, it says low mileage, low time in service. My rotors on my Focus and Taurus rust over the weekend if I don't drive them. We're not talking cancerous rust out here, just a surface layer like dust.

All rotors will rust, unless I guess if they were stainless steel or something. But virtually any vehicle that sits for more than a day or two where the climate allows (rain, snow etc..) will accumulate rust on the rotors.

The TSB says that the brake pads are designed to withstand several hard brakings to clean the rotors. This would indicate to me that they are not crappy by design and are actually quite robust.

I meant the stock pads are crappy in that I'm sure installed the cheapest pads available. Ford has a history of do this. Their pads typically put out tons of brakes dust and wear out quickly as a result. According to other posts I've read, aftermarket pads like Raybestos last longer and put out significantly less brake dust.

Also, I thought maybe the stock pads contributed to the rust because they had metal in them. I'm not certain they do, I just know I've heard some aftermarket pads referred to as non-metallic which would make me think some are metallic. I think all would agree ceramic would seem to be the best.

By the way, iron is the only metal that rusts. What we need is iron free pads and rotors. Unfortnately, iron provides much of the strength. It's also the only metal a magnet is attracted to. Weird.