Super Senority

MTP_UAW

Do any of our locals have what is called "super senority"? "Super senority" meaning that appointed or elected union officials, without the senority to hold their classifications under layoff conditions, remain on the job holding their respective union positions.

it is that way in KCAP, last time I heard.

Do any of our locals have what is called "super senority"? "Super senority" meaning that appointed or elected union officials, without the senority to hold their classifications under layoff conditions, remain on the job holding their respective union positions.

The master agreement clearly defines how seniority is addressed with elected and appointed positions in times of workforce reduction. If I'm not mistaken, an elected union official can 'temporarily' maintain his or her position, provided it is required to facilitate the adherence to contractual rights of the membership during times of manpower reduction. After said reduction has taken place, the official would be required to abide by the prevailing facility seniority list and therefore either maintain or vacate the position and exercise his or her seniority for company employment opportunities. The position should be filled by an employee with sufficient seniority to remain within the facility seniority list (temporarily appointed until an election can be held). The plant chairman may have additional seniority privileges not addressed in the information above, and that also is defined in the master agreement. I don't believe appointed positions carry any super seniority provisions.

The master agreement clearly defines how seniority is addressed with elected and appointed positions in times of workforce reduction. If I'm not mistaken, an elected union official can 'temporarily' maintain his or her position, provided it is required to facilitate the adherence to contractual rights of the membership during times of manpower reduction. After said reduction has taken place, the official would be required to abide by the prevailing facility seniority list and therefore either maintain or vacate the position and exercise his or her seniority for company employment opportunities. The position should be filled by an employee with sufficient seniority to remain within the facility seniority list (temporarily appointed until an election can be held). The plant chairman may have additional seniority privileges not addressed in the information above, and that also is defined in the master agreement. I don't believe appointed positions carry any super seniority provisions.

you are correct

With regard to in-plant positions, most of what you referenced are related to committemen and stewards, and all of that applies.

However, your Local "executive"Officers (pres, vp, rec sec,fin sec,trustees,sgt-at-arms, and guide, are all protected under super seniority (not e-brd, and not all positions per unit of amalgamated locals-eg; unit sgt-at-arms and rec sec).

You are correct also that appointed reps are not covered (not by the contract language anyway, but we all know they are "covered" and depending on who they know, will be taken care of in other ways From what I have been told, this is taking place@wixom)

The funny thing is, yes this is in the MBA, but the NLRB has ruled in several cases that super-seniority is illegal according to federal law, and anyone who may be displaced by an employee who has less time, yet holds an office, could, and should, most certainly obtain an attorney and pursue it legally.

Do any of our locals have what is called "super seniority"? "Super seniority" meaning that appointed or elected union officials, without the seniority to hold their classifications under layoff conditions, remain on the job holding their respective union positions.

If you don't have the seniority to stay you won't.Geez, who stays up at night thinking this shit up. :shades:

However, your Local "executive"Officers (pres, vp, rec sec,fin sec,trustees,sgt-at-arms, and guide, are all protected under super seniority (not e-brd, and not all positions per unit of amalgamated locals-eg; unit sgt-at-arms and rec sec).

I somewhat disagree.

Officers and executive board members can only use superseniority if their on-the-job presence is necessary to ensure effective employee representation.

The duties of Union officials, not their titles, determine whether superseniority may be exercised. In some Unions, officers and executive board members take a regular role in grievance processing. In others, they are not involved in such activities.

Read "the legal rights of Union Stewards" by Robert M. Schwartz

I somewhat disagree.

Officers and executive board members can only use superseniority if their on-the-job presence is necessary to ensure effective employee representation.

The duties of Union officials, not their titles, determine whether superseniority may be exercised. In some Unions, officers and executive board members take a regular role in grievance processing. In others, they are not involved in such activities.

Read "the legal rights of Union Stewards" by Robert M. Schwartz

correct again

The master agreement clearly defines how seniority is addressed with elected and appointed positions

And you can take that master agreement and wipe your ass with it because isn't worth the paper it's written on. They'll do what they want, when they want, and they'll keep who they want and fuck everybody else in the process. Just wait and see!!! Do you really think when it comes down to UAW family members getting cut vs. Joe Blow getting cut, who the fuck do you think is going!?!?!? :finger: Even though Joe Blow has more time, won't make a bit of difference. You'll see!!!

And you can take that master agreement and wipe your ass with it because isn't worth the paper it's written on. They'll do what they want, when they want, and they'll keep who they want and fuck everybody else in the process. Just wait and see!!! Do you really think when it comes down to UAW family members getting cut vs. Joe Blow getting cut, who the fuck do you think is going!?!?!? :finger: Even though Joe Blow has more time, won't make a bit of difference. You'll see!!!

you are also correct!!!!!!!!!!!

We got so called super seniority

A 2000 seniority got an (Appointed Job) for safety and my friends got laid off and he did not because appointed jobs don't get laidoff so says the chairman.

Also a team leader stayed on the job and he has less time then my friends did, same answer as before.

This has to stop what's to stop a Chairman from saying these 200 people are (appointed ) to the trim line therefore they cannot get laidoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We got so called super seniority

A 2000 seniority got an (Appointed Job) for safety and my friends got laid off and he did not because appointed jobs don't get laidoff so says the chairman.

Also a team leader stayed on the job and he has less time then my friends did, same answer as before.

This has to stop what's to stop a Chairman from saying these 200 people are (appointed ) to the trim line therefore they cannot get laidoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude this is just the beginning. Better hold on to your ass because you're about to get a ROYAL UAW FUCKING!!! hump.gif

The people in question are selfish and really dont care about anything but themselves......i hope they stay and then get embareassed in the loss of their next election.......then dont get placed its just another bullshit deal going on behind the scenes at mtp now wonder we have lost 2 shifts!!!!!they all get what thwy deserve

If you don't have the seniority to stay you won't.Geez, who stays up at night thinking this shit up. :shades:

At MTP, we had a Quality person, who had low seniority maybe '96 or less, couldn't do a whole job ( or wouldn't) couldn't get elected as union commitee person, so her mother who worked for Yokish (?) got her baby appointed to Quality Control before he left and Gettofinger got in. So she will always have a job at MTP as long as it stays open. She had kn experience but the Union said they would "mentor" her. Does this happen often.? :redcard:

At MTP, we had a Quality person, who had low seniority maybe '96 or less, couldn't do a whole job ( or wouldn't) couldn't get elected as union commitee person, so her mother who worked for Yokish (?) got her baby appointed to Quality Control before he left and Gettofinger got in. So she will always have a job at MTP as long as it stays open. She had kn experience but the Union said they would "mentor" her. Does this happen often.? :redcard:

Well since Daryl, your plant chairman, has been boinking her (Crystal), you can bet your bottom dollar that she'll be amongst the cronies for whom the rules will soon be changed/re-interpreted. Pathetic.

Well since Daryl, your plant chairman, has been boinking her (Crystal), you can bet your bottom dollar that she'll be amongst the cronies for whom the rules will soon be changed/re-interpreted. Pathetic.

Yes, I have heard that, too. Do they think they can get away with this, or they just don't care~

Keep your eyes open!