F150 Engine Size

LBC

I am looking to get an F150 Crewcab pickup and they have a 4.6L and 5.4L engine. I have a boat that weighs about 4000 lbs. The literature says that the 4.6L will pull up to 6900 lbs. Is there any reason to get the 5.4L over the 4.6L?

Thanks.

Get the 5.4L you will be glad you did. There is almost no noticable fuel mileage advantage by getting the smaller engine but the difference is power is significant.

My boat w/trailer and fuel tops 8000 lbs and I tow it with my '06 F-150 Supercab 4x4 5.4L with 3.73L axles.

I would also recomend those 3.73L (limited slip) axles to go with the 5.4L especially if you don't get 4-wheel drive for pulling the boat up wet launch ramps.

Thanks for the replies. I thought that I should go with the 5.4 but with the literature about the 4.6 and the salesman, it sounded like I was looking at something that was not needed.

Without a doubt, go with the 5.4. As has already been said fuel economy is almost no different...even better with the 5.4 while towing. The supercrew is heavy, and adding 4000 lbs will tax a 4.6. The price difference is well worth it, and resale value with cover most of that.

Good luck and enjoy your new truck.

Thanks for your opinion. I think you all have pushed me off the fence. I will get the 5.4 just to be sure I have enough power. I would be sick if I purchased the 4.6 and was not satisfied.