Mid-box storage revealed

LSFan00

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/01/midbox-...for-ford-f-150/

f150midbox_lg.jpg

Naturally, it's available in the full range of factory Ford colors, so it matches the rest of the truck its mounted to perfectly. Ordering it is as easy as selecting RPO code 55M when building your new truck. Full details can be found in the press release after the jump.

* Rugged Construction -- Double-paneled doors and factory hardware provide

strength and security. Dent resistant exterior door panels not only

match the vehicle's body panels, but resist scratches and dents.

* Heavy-Duty Door Seals -- Commercial-grade weatherstripping makes the

interior compartment weather- and dust-resistant.

* Durable Performance -- Commercial-grade door hinges and hardware, OE

factory door handles and rotary latches keyed to the vehicle ignition

provide years of trouble-free service.

* Powder Coated Steel Construction -- 10-gauge and 16-gauge steel panels

with a powder-coated surface provides a tough, durable, corrosion-

resistant finish.

* Sturdy Installation -- Maintains the structural integrity of the vehicle

by using only existing mounting holes and support points during

installation.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/01/midbox-...for-ford-f-150/

f150midbox_lg.jpg

Naturally, it's available in the full range of factory Ford colors, so it matches the rest of the truck its mounted to perfectly. Ordering it is as easy as selecting RPO code 55M when building your new truck. Full details can be found in the press release after the jump.

* Rugged Construction -- Double-paneled doors and factory hardware provide

strength and security. Dent resistant exterior door panels not only

match the vehicle's body panels, but resist scratches and dents.

* Heavy-Duty Door Seals -- Commercial-grade weatherstripping makes the

interior compartment weather- and dust-resistant.

* Durable Performance -- Commercial-grade door hinges and hardware, OE

factory door handles and rotary latches keyed to the vehicle ignition

provide years of trouble-free service.

* Powder Coated Steel Construction -- 10-gauge and 16-gauge steel panels

with a powder-coated surface provides a tough, durable, corrosion-

resistant finish.

* Sturdy Installation -- Maintains the structural integrity of the vehicle

by using only existing mounting holes and support points during

installation.

big hiccups, sorry to be devils advocate....2299 dealer cost BASE, 50 bux to have a central divider, 4 drawers on just ONE side...529 so 1058 for both sides, lights 169 so you can see ANYTHING inside, so this is dealer cost SO FAR $3600. AND only bed size 5 1/2 feet. So buy an 8 ft bed, get a LINEX, add a croos box ( Weatherguard diamond plate ) for approx $1000, suits the same purpose and saves 2600...hmm, thats a quality rack easily....THIS is not going to be an easy sell for the $ especially if marked up @ cost plus 20% which equals 4320!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and its manufactured by SVE a subsidiary of Magna...the people that put a bid on Chrysler...

Edited by Deanh

marked up @ cost plus 20% which equals 4320!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that's where you pull the sucker, I mean customer, off to a quiet corner of the showroom and say something like this, "Now Mr. Sucker, you look like a guy I can trust. Right? I mean, I'm looking out for you, so I know I can trust you to look out for me, right? Well, what I'm going to do for you is not something we do every day. In fact, I could get in serious trouble with my sales manager if I do this, but, I really want to see you drive off in this new F150. What I'm going to do is let you have that mid-box model for only $4500 extra. I've been told not to sell these things for less than $5,000, but like I said, I want to see you in this F150, and I want you to be happy with your truck. So how does that sound to you?"

Seriously, this looks more like a simplification of process for fleet buyers than something your typical customer will want, or that many dealers will stock.

Bah, it's some sort of questionable after-market conversion. Not so hot on this sort of out-sourced arrangement.

Oh piffle. Ford wouldn't be manufacturing such an elaborate thing in the first place. About the only thing that is worth quibbling over is where the midbox is stuck on---at a Ford plant or at an SVE plant.

They should have just added a third set of doors to the cab! J/K I guess they have to do something to the F150 mid-cycle.

It isn't really "mid" cycle though. The current F-150 body style is really only going to be around for what...another 18 months? Kind of makes me worry that they'd put this much effort into something so close to the end of a product cycle. In order to recover the costs, it makes me think the next F-150 reskin isn't going to be all that extensive. If they change it too much, they'll just have to redesign the brand-new mid-box again. Make sense?

'they' aren't putting that much effort into it.

SVE designed this, not Ford. What Ford is doing, is streamlining the logistics of obtaining a Midbox. It's like getting a factory convertible or sunroof, instead of an aftermarket one.

No matter who designed it, they're going to have to RE-design it if they change the bed on the '09 F-150. Those R&D costs get passed on to somebody (usually the consumer) regardless of who designed the part. Either that, or the '09 F-150 refresh isn't going to be as significant as we might be expecting.

No matter who designed it, they're going to have to RE-design it if they change the bed on the '09 F-150. Those R&D costs get passed on to somebody (usually the consumer) regardless of who designed the part. Either that, or the '09 F-150 refresh isn't going to be as significant as we might be expecting.

Nick, this isn't a new product. It's been around for, I believe, a few years. The SVE website shows it on an previous generation Silverado as well.

Because it can now be ordered through the dealer with a Ford part number. And, since it really looks to me like its nothing more than the 5.5 foot bed mounted to the 8 foot bed length frame with the "mid-box" mounted in between the front of the bed and the back of the cab; how much will really have to be redesigned? Its not like the bed width or height will change again. Only the form for the exterior skin might change. So, I believe that, asign from possibly having to relocate a mounting bracket on the bottom if Ford moves a mount point on the frame, all they'd really have to do is reskin the doors. Not that big a deal if you ask me.

Well, that's where you pull the sucker, I mean customer, off to a quiet corner of the showroom and say something like this, "Now Mr. Sucker, you look like a guy I can trust. Right? I mean, I'm looking out for you, so I know I can trust you to look out for me, right? Well, what I'm going to do for you is not something we do every day. In fact, I could get in serious trouble with my sales manager if I do this, but, I really want to see you drive off in this new F150. What I'm going to do is let you have that mid-box model for only $4500 extra. I've been told not to sell these things for less than $5,000, but like I said, I want to see you in this F150, and I want you to be happy with your truck. So how does that sound to you?"

Seriously, this looks more like a simplification of process for fleet buyers than something your typical customer will want, or that many dealers will stock.

richard...was the last time you bought a car 1914?????????????? If people still do that shit they need to be shot...personally I can't recommend ANYTHING to a customer that does NOT make sense to me....and even at dead cost this is out on left field.....

richard...was the last time you bought a car 1914?????????????? If people still do that shit they need to be shot...personally I can't recommend ANYTHING to a customer that does NOT make sense to me....and even at dead cost this is out on left field.....

Not 'when', but 'who'--these practices are still very, very current with one of the largest new dealer groups in the city and with a few of the used outfits (2005Explorer can back me up on this). This new car dealer group sold me a car that lost its water pump less than a day after purchase (22 hours, to be exact), and at first refused to take it back, then saying they'd take it back--but would not give me the full purchase price, seeings how the water pump was broke and all, and then finally after the word 'attorney' was mentioned agreeing to take the car back at purchase price.

Not 'when', but 'who'--these practices are still very, very current with one of the largest new dealer groups in the city and with a few of the used outfits (2005Explorer can back me up on this). This new car dealer group sold me a car that lost its water pump less than a day after purchase (22 hours, to be exact), and at first refused to take it back, then saying they'd take it back--but would not give me the full purchase price, seeings how the water pump was broke and all, and then finally after the word 'attorney' was mentioned agreeing to take the car back at purchase price.

HMMM, prehistoric selling practices are still alive I see, we have a 2 day contract cancelation agreemnet her on used, if car was new...warranty..........I assume the 05 was NOT QC certified....

HMMM, prehistoric selling practices are still alive I see, we have a 2 day contract cancelation agreemnet her on used, if car was new...warranty..........I assume the 05 was NOT QC certified....

Our local Ford dealer is very easy to deal with. They're no haggle/fixed commission on both new and used, and they provide a 7 day money back/30 day trade-in guarantee. They do a land-office business with FLM, Saturn, Pontiac, Cadillac, and Hummer, as well as a satellite Ford store 20 miles N., and another Ford franchise 75 miles S.

Unfortunately, when I've been in the market for used, they haven't had what I'm looking for, and our business has never had them as a client, so it's harder to stop by the sales manager's office and cajole him into shopping around for me.