Rangers From Around The World

StanM

I was just curious if anyone had ideas why Ford has continued to warm over the same Ranger for the US market, while various other countries have fairly new designs that include a real 4 door version, as well as a diesel? Meanwhile, all we get is the same old thing and Ford continues to loose market share here at home. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to know that Ford has created a good portion of their own misfortune and that probably a few people should have been fired a long time ago. From what I've read, it's going to be at least a couple of years before we seen anything new and there's nothing to guarantee there won't be another delay in a redesign.

Stan - 04 F150 FX4 owner

I was just curious if anyone had ideas why Ford has continued to warm over the same Ranger for the US market, while various other countries have fairly new designs that include a real 4 door version, as well as a diesel? Meanwhile, all we get is the same old thing and Ford continues to loose market share here at home. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to know that Ford has created a good portion of their own misfortune and that probably a few people should have been fired a long time ago. From what I've read, it's going to be at least a couple of years before we seen anything new and there's nothing to guarantee there won't be another delay in a redesign.

Stan - 04 F150 FX4 owner

I would like to know where or who makes the Rangers in Europe. If you ask me, they really look alot like Toyotas. Who knows, they are just probably just rebadged just like the mazda is here. That would probably explain why they get the new designs. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
There was discussion last year in Dearborn R&E about possibly importing these SE Asia "Rangers" to the US. I don't know what happened. Things just went "quiet"

Federalization is the word, and I'm guessing they are evaluating them for a US build, but that is reengineering an old chassis that is nearly as old as the US Ranger if I remember correctly. I remember reading something about it in a British Magazine about 15-16 years ago. They thought it was wonderful! But, that was then. And this is now...

I would give my eye teeth for a simple 4x4 small truck with good fuel economy and ground clearance

Something I can haul dogs in and go down dirt roads and across fields; maybe haul a jon boat.

You know a small TRUCK. Simple, durable, affordable, functional.

I don't want or need a full size truck; at 5'6" I have to jump on a tire to reach into the bed of any of the new big trucks anyway.

Why go small when the little ones don't get any better mpg than the big ones. I don't want a monster truck and I am tired of hauling wet dogs in my SUV. I would buy another Ford - my '96 Explorer has 210K and still going strong but I know the transmission won't last forever, then its the engine but there is nothing available that I want to buy. I can tell you if I am stuck buying a big truck, I would go Silverado before F150 - but would buy the right Ranger if I could get it.

Come on Ford - something like the Ford Ranger Thunder - sell it over HERE in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

There just isn't a market for small trucks in the U.S. It's like the last buggy whip manufacturer. They didn't invest capital to improve a product in a dying market, they just kept making them until demand died away completely.

Vehicles in general are much smaller overseas than in the U.S. which is why they build better Rangers there. There are more sold, and more profitability in them. Here people primarily buy a mini pickup to say money over a full size, and they will buy the least expensive one that will do the job.