F350 vs. Honda in Salinas, CA

Man killed in collision on Davis Road

Staff report

A Salinas man who swerved his Honda to avoid a vehicle making a left-hand turn this morning has died after colliding head-on with a pick-up truck, the California Highway Patrol said.

The 62-year-old man was driving south about 9:50 a.m. on Davis Road in a 1991 Honda Accord, the CHP said, when he came up on another southbound vehicle stopping to make a left turn onto Foster Road.

The man swerved to the left and into northbound traffic, where it was struck head-on by a Ford F-350 pickup truck driven by Lori Hobbs, 47, of Santa Cruz, the agency said.

Both vehicles came to rest in a plowed field. The Honda's driver died at Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital, the CHP said, but Hoobs was uninjured.

No other vehicles were involved.

Man killed in collision on Davis Road

Staff report

A Salinas man who swerved his Honda to avoid a vehicle making a left-hand turn this morning has died after colliding head-on with a pick-up truck, the California Highway Patrol said.

The 62-year-old man was driving south about 9:50 a.m. on Davis Road in a 1991 Honda Accord, the CHP said, when he came up on another southbound vehicle stopping to make a left turn onto Foster Road.

The man swerved to the left and into northbound traffic, where it was struck head-on by a Ford F-350 pickup truck driven by Lori Hobbs, 47, of Santa Cruz, the agency said.

Both vehicles came to rest in a plowed field. The Honda's driver died at Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital, the CHP said, but Hoobs was uninjured.

No other vehicles were involved.

Something to be said for driving the largest vehicle you can afford that fits your lifestyle as opposed to buying smallest to save a few bucks in fuel costs. I know I personally won't go smaller than mid sized car. A Focus wagon was tempting, but I want a little mass around me in case some crazy T-bones me. Good luck to all those buying B-segment vehicles. More and more drivers run red lights and many still drive DUI all the time and run red lights, rear-end you at high speed, and swerve across center line into oncoming traffic. My life is more important to me than saving money on gas. My next vehicle will be the new Taurus which at least has some mass and weight to it with all the latest safety features. I know this driver was driving an Accord which is mid-sized too, but I believe in early 90's the Accord was smaller than today's Accord. The Accord used to be compact car and has grown bigger over the years into mid sized status.

Currently drive 2002 Taurus SES Sport

Poor guy, never had a chance. 8,000+ lb high truck vs. a 3,000 lb low car. All this just to avoid some idiot making a lft hand turn.

Why is the guy an idiot simply for making a left turn? He could have been perfectly legal, with turn signal on. Maybe the idiot was in the Honda trying to pass a left turning vehicle?

Why is the guy an idiot simply for making a left turn? He could have been perfectly legal, with turn signal on. Maybe the idiot was in the Honda trying to pass a left turning vehicle?

true, I wasn't there. I was thinking the car turned left in front of him, causing him to swerve into oncoming traffic.

Edited by Hydro

The Accord driver crossed over into the oncomming lane and hit the F350 head on. The driver making the left turn was completely stopped.

Whether the Accord driver wasnt paying attention to a stopped car or was trying to pass the story doesnt say. But the driver making the turn was not at fault. He was simply making a left turn off of a 2 lane road.