my e350 van with 6.0 diesel

ha paschold

my van s been at the dealer for 3 weeks with a intermitant power lose problem.....driving along at 70 or so, all of a sudden a lose of power and van drops to 30 mph almost immediately.

dealer says no codes, cant just replace parts. got them to put that in writing and off to a lemon law attorney.

this most recent trip to dealer was the 4th in the last 8 weeks.

maybe a gmc in the future ?

van is a 04 e 350 with a 6.0 diesel.

28,000 miles currently

Edited by ha paschold

my van s been at the dealer for 3 weeks with a intermitant power lose problem.....driving along at 70 or so, all of a sudden a lose of power and van drops to 30 mph almost immediately.

dealer says no codes, cant just replace parts. got them to put that in writing and off to a lemon law attorney.

28,000 miles currently

Seems like with all the new computers and everything on these new vehicles they really have problems with things like that. I would go back to the oldschool carbureted ones.

my van s been at the dealer for 3 weeks with a intermittent power lose problem.....driving along at 70 or so, all of a sudden a lose of power and van drops to 30 mph almost immediately.

28,000 miles currently

Sounds like you may have got a lemon, but what's the chance of getting two in a row? Buy a GMC if you like, but I would give Ford one more chance.

Sounds like you may have got a lemon, but what's the chance of getting two in a row? Buy a GMC if you like, but I would give Ford one more chance.

Unfortunately, a common problem. First off- can't go back to a carb with a diesel- direct injection and all that.

Most common cause is a plugged EGR valve. Many have actually unplugged it for a permanent fix. Also possible is the Exhaust back pressure sensor. Finally, this is rare but we have seen it- a cracked piston that allows exhaust gases to heat up the oil. the ECM responds by powering down until things cool off enough to return to normal rpms. All should be covered under warranty.

Check with other Diesel owners in your area and find out which dealer has the best diesel tech- that's the key to finding a speedy fix. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks polarbear.........

i picked van up, was sitting at dealer lot.....service gave up...... 7 th week now. dealer waiting for onboard recorder......

took out for a ride today, very limited power 1st,2nd 3rd gears.. picks up 4th into od.....but then tops at 65mph........ feels like running a 4 cyl.

forget driving up any grade.... powerless.........

i m going to find other dealer........also filed federal level lemon law, part that sucks is all i can expect is the depreciation value back ...... i m out on mileage for state buy back.....

im going to try to bring to another dealer......but that s 30 miles away.... ruff ride running in current condition. but maybe it will blow up........then they ll be able to figure out whats wrong :blink:

I'm sorry to hear your having so much trouble with your 6.0. I know some are running ok, but many are not. This 'joint venture' with Navistar has been difficult, and seems to have been getting worse according to old 7.3 owners who like their motors. At a time when profits and sales are so low, and the Super Duty trucks being cash cows with very loyal followings, it sickens me to see this truck and engine have so much trouble. Kinda like Miss America with hives. Not good. Hopefully the new diesel coming will be better. I love the idea of a big truck with a diesel getting better MPG than gas. Alas, there is no way I can afford one of these rigs, between the markup and my not winning the lotto.

thanks polarbear.........

i picked van up, was sitting at dealer lot.....service gave up...... 7 th week now. dealer waiting for onboard recorder......

took out for a ride today, very limited power 1st,2nd 3rd gears.. picks up 4th into od.....but then tops at 65mph........ feels like running a 4 cyl.

forget driving up any grade.... powerless.........

i m going to find other dealer........also filed federal level lemon law, part that sucks is all i can expect is the depreciation value back ...... i m out on mileage for state buy back.....

im going to try to bring to another dealer......but that s 30 miles away.... ruff ride running in current condition. but maybe it will blow up........then they ll be able to figure out whats wrong :blink:

I have the same van, mine has been in for all the TSB's and a few other problems also. The last time it was in for a bad injection control module, It is located on the valve cover. One of the problems is the wireing harness was getting chafed by vibration and caused it to run like it only had 5 cylinders. This short circuit of the wires caused the module to go bad. There was a TSB for the wireing harness.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

todays update,

last trip to dealer yielded a new MAF sensor, but after 1 st of driving, airbox was coughing, and plumes of smoke from the tailpipe.

i finally gave up on dealer, went to another, but got a call they didnt want to work on it given it s oasis report, i pleaded with them to at least scan for codes, if no codes , i ll pay for time spent, and go on my way to lemonville.

anyway, they called later in the afternoon, found lots of codes , took some time to figure all of them out. but now replacing turbo, and look at downpipe for source of exhaust fumes in van.

so maybe there s some hope.

another ford diesel in my lifetime ? i dont think so. i think they took a 5.4 gasser, bored it out and fueled it with diesel.......... :poke:

toms ford to the rescue , keyport nj.

new turbo

couple o rings to take care of oil leak

exhaust fumes related to failed turbo.........

2 days commuting...... all good.

turbo alittle more noise, but air noise, kinda like air compressor relief valve on hard acceleration.

other than that, all is good again.

toms ford to the rescue , keyport nj.

new turbo

couple o rings to take care of oil leak

exhaust fumes related to failed turbo.........

2 days commuting...... all good.

turbo alittle more noise, but air noise, kinda like air compressor relief valve on hard acceleration.

other than that, all is good again.

:happy feet: A good diesel tech is worth his weight in gold.

good techs in the service dept are the glue holding ford together. i gotta say thou, i was at wit s end with the situation. but luckily toms ford tech got right on the problem. 4 days and all better.

i think it s a combo of leary techs, and dealer s not wanting to throw parts at a vehicle and have ford charge them back......

i m wondering if the first dealer will get the MAF sensor they replaced that i didnt need on a charge back...