Was Ready to Buy Mariner...But I Have Issues

Daryll40

In the real world my wife's Mountaineer gets 13MPG around town. That qualifies it as a gas guzzler in my books :finger:

Lighten up buddy. No need to get defensive and launch over something this trivial. Chill and take the wife's Mountaineer in for a check up.

Lighten up buddy. No need to get defensive and launch over something this trivial. Chill and take the wife's Mountaineer in for a check up.

The way people drive out there I'm surprised anyone gets decent gas mileage. You drive the speed limit in Metro Detroit and so many vehicles come ripping around you. So many have heavy foot out there. I see lots of heavy acceleraton out there all the time. You can lose up to 39% of your gas mileage by just the way you drive. My observations out there are that high gas prices have slowed down few drivers and they are driving as fast as ever. As an experiment other day, I put my cruise on at 72mph driving out M-14 to Ann Arbor. I passed one vehicle in 20 mile trip and long stream of vehicles blew past me. I would say their average speed was close to 85mph. Not one of them were getting even remotley decent gas mileage. Some would come up behind me in my lane and cut over to passing lane in order to cut in front of another vehicle in passing lane and of course would hit gas hard in order to squirt over. We as Americans deserve high gas prices as we waste it so IMO. Many of these vehicles going way over speed limit were full size pickups and SUV's. I notice it every day. You can go 10 over and still get blown into weeds. Some days I don't think they get 10 mpg if that. Guess I will have to buy more oil stock.

Don't know what she's doing wrong, but I get 17 in my V8 Explorer.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mountaineer. This is Pittsburgh...stop and go hills all day. I know at least 5 others with Mountaineer/Explorers getting similar mileage and the GM Trailblazers clones only get 1 MPG or so more.

Guzzlers.

At $1.35/gallon (cost of gas when we bot it in 2002), no one cared.

That being said, our CRV gets 20 MPG in the same type of driving. About 50% better. Agreed, it's an apples to oranges comparision. The point is that the market for Ford's apples has shifted to Honda's oranges.

To be fair, the Mountaineer got 20MPG on a recent highway trip, even with the air on. But in the real world for around-town driving, it's a guzzler.

Honest guys, I have no agenda. We've always had at least ONE Ford product in the family. And Mariner really looks GREAT. But after coming out of our bigger Mountaineer and also owning a 2007 Honda CR-V, Mariner just doesn't stack up. I will grant you that CR-V goes out the door for close to $26K-$27K sticker whereas Mariner will/does get gimmicked down to a much lower price. So maybe we're comparing apples and oranges. But they are both similar sized vehicles.

Chintzy. That's my take. Sorry.

:banghead:

If you are getting into the high $20K's you might want to add the Edge to your test driving list. I think the Edge would do MUCH better against the CR-V when it comes to comparing the two.

Yea, everything is relative, that's why I sold my "gas guzzler" Honda Element to get a new Escape Hybrid. 21/26 wasn't good enough anymore for me. Especially when I had a 1993 toyota truck that was doing 28 or so on the highway before that... yea, I know smaller, but you get used to paying for a certain amount of gas each month. (so I don't get too much grief, I had a 67 mustang convertible before the truck, so now I've come back to Ford) Had the Escape been ready at the end of 2003 I would have gotten one then.

Edited by leoart