Econoline Hybrid

FordBuyer

About one year ago, Ford announced publicly that they would be coming out with hybrid Econoline van sometime in near future. Can't remember the timeline, but remember the press release. It said that Ford would be working with Canadian firm that specializes in commercial hybrid applications. I thought it was great news considering fuel costs and size of Econoline vans. It could be a real coup for Ford and further solidify Ford's dominant position in large van market and make Ford greener. Since that press release, I have seen no more about it. What gives? Anyone know if Ford will do hybrid van like it said or is this another project canned. Ford also announced couple years ago that it would do hybrid 500 and Edge. Now no word about any of it.

Currently drive 2002 Taurus SES Sport,

Mike

About one year ago, Ford announced publicly that they would be coming out with hybrid Econoline van sometime in near future....

The company is Azure Dynamics. The deal is definitely on with FedEx taking delivery on 20 pre-production vehicles in May 2008

IIRC, Azure was going to buy finished chassis cabs, remove some parts of the powertrain that Ford would buy back and install their hybrid system. Almost zero Ford engineering or manufacturing was involved.

Azure just put Jim Padilla on their board, so I think thing are still in good shape !

The company is Azure Dynamics. The deal is definitely on with FedEx taking delivery on 20 pre-production vehicles in May 2008

IIRC, Azure was going to buy finished chassis cabs, remove some parts of the powertrain that Ford would buy back and install their hybrid system. Almost zero Ford engineering or manufacturing was involved.

Azure just put Jim Padilla on their board, so I think thing are still in good shape !

Well, at least I know I didn't dream it. Thanks for info. I take it Azure is Canadian company and that these Econoline hybrids will be used in commercial applications.