STAP FUTURE

bodyman

I was thinking the past few days and have come up with an idea. What if the workers themselves could contribute in a way to solidify the future of STAP?? The government is obviously committed to the auto industry financially, but maybe the workers could contribute financially. Each worker at the plant would be charged 5% of their income every year for 10 years, upon the agreement of major investment in its plant. The 5% would be deducted off your paycheque and would go to the government, and they would match that contribution, to maintain operations at STAP. I know 5% or 3500 a year sounds like alot but there would be no wage concession, this would only be used for investment . Combined, it would be 650 million dollars that would be used as a joint venture between Ford and the Governement and the workers. If the plant closes or when it does, we will not have any income like we will lose, so what is 3500 a year to keep investments and increase your security. The benefits of the income far outweigh the 3500 a year you would pay to keep your job. There is no question we build quality cars and we make them money, so lets come up with ideas to entice Ford to stay in Canada and build on its status in Canada.

Edited by bodyman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:blink: Do you think that conributing money to Fords will save your job. You want to give 5% then what would happen at contract time .Then old Bill would say give me 10%so you can keep your job.Either way if they want to shut it down they will. Just wait because there is know way in Hell they will be able to run one shift with the older guys . You will see many of them say screw this and retire leaving them with a shortage of workers.

You give them that money then say in 5 years they are making huge amonts of profit .They will just laugh and say thank you very much.What they need to do is get rid of some of the high paid people that we don't need.

I know you are worried about your job .Please hang in there till we hear what the hell is going on.I know you hear older guys saying we went through this in the 80s. This is nothing like that . I had no sub or uic because I had less than 10 years but we made it.

This money would be given by the CAW with the government on joint investment. If we lose our jobs whats the difference, at least we bought ourselves time. We need a flex plant, Ford is not going to dump another billion when it just did 2 hours down the road think about it. There must be an incentive for Ford to stay at STAP and so far I don;t believe there is enough there to keep them there

You think investment at our plant will come without a cost. Paying the 5% is a way to control what we give, no concessions.

Edited by bodyman

I was thinking the past few days and have come up with an idea. What if the workers themselves could contribute in a way to solidify the future of STAP?? The government is obviously committed to the auto industry financially, but maybe the workers could contribute financially. Each worker at the plant would be charged 5% of their income every year for 10 years, upon the agreement of major investment in its plant. The 5% would be deducted off your paycheque and would go to the government, and they would match that contribution, to maintain operations at STAP. I know 5% or 3500 a year sounds like alot but there would be no wage concession, this would only be used for investment . Combined, it would be 650 million dollars that would be used as a joint venture between Ford and the Governement and the workers. If the plant closes or when it does, we will not have any income like we will lose, so what is 3500 a year to keep investments and increase your security. The benefits of the income far outweigh the 3500 a year you would pay to keep your job. There is no question we build quality cars and we make them money, so lets come up with ideas to entice Ford to stay in Canada and build on its status in Canada.

Dude, if we "invested" 5% of our wages we'd be moving back to what we were making 6 years ago.

Concessions are concessions. No matter how you fancy it up.

I'm not trying to be critical, because using your head and coming up with plausable ideas are more than most poeple will do that work here.

I simply vote "no way in hell" once you start giving concessions it doesn't end. next thing we'd be in the same boat as the U.S....fucking our retiree's and Ford still having us by the balls. I'd rather have NO job at Ford than ruining the one I've got.

my 2 cents,

yS

Dude, if we "invested" 5% of our wages we'd be moving back to what we were making 6 years ago.

Concessions are concessions. No matter how you fancy it up.

I'm not trying to be critical, because using your head and coming up with plausable ideas are more than most poeple will do that work here.

I simply vote "no way in hell" once you start giving concessions it doesn't end. next thing we'd be in the same boat as the U.S....fucking our retiree's and Ford still having us by the balls. I'd rather have NO job at Ford than ruining the one I've got.

my 2 cents,

yS

That's $300 a month coming off our paychecks. Don't know about you guys but I can't afford that shit.

That's $300 a month coming off our paychecks. Don't know about you guys but I can't afford that shit.

Thats the shit that drives me NUTS. For one if you can't lose 300 bucks a month then sorry to say you are living beyond your means. Sacrificing 300 bucks a month to maintain our job securty, benefits and a PAID PENSION is a very small sacrifice, and maybe one the union should look into before we are all working in other factories in the area for well under 20 bucks an hour.

The main reason guys work at STAP is the money, benefits ,and pension. It definately can't be because they like doing the same thing 450 times a day. Job seach for while, see whats out there, then come back here and tell me you would not give up $300 a week to stay at STAP.

Thats the shit that drives me NUTS. For one if you can't lose 300 bucks a month then sorry to say you are living beyond your means. Sacrificing 300 bucks a month to maintain our job securty, benefits and a PAID PENSION is a very small sacrifice, and maybe one the union should look into before we are all working in other factories in the area for well under 20 bucks an hour.

The main reason guys work at STAP is the money, benefits ,and pension. It definately can't be because they like doing the same thing 450 times a day. Job seach for while, see whats out there, then come back here and tell me you would not give up $300 a week to stay at STAP.

Why would I invest $300/month in a company with "Junk Bond" status?

Wage "give backs" go contrary to the very funtamental core beliefs of the C.A.W. ever since it was formed. Conecession are the MAIN REASON why we left the UAW in the first place.

First it's a 5% wage reduction, then it's more co-pays for our benifits...then what? No more 30 n out? No way. If we start taking concessions now we're fucked and might as well work for Express at FORMET.

youngSTAP

Well I guess we will see if that 300 was worth losing in about 5 years when the plant is closed, but I m sure by then You could get a job at Timmy s making 8.50 an hour. Hey its just a thought, you only give up what you want to give up. I guess there are some guys that say, go big or go home. Sure it has to start somewhere, you think Ford is here because of us. Fuck no, they are here to make money to in turn pay its costs and make money, after all it is a free enterprise. By the way the core beliefs of the CAW are protecting workers and their families. I see this as protecting our jobs. The 5% will never happen, it was just a thought, but at least I know we will be talking alot about what the union can do to save our jobs, but they might be beyond saving!!!

Edited by bodyman

Why would I invest $300/month in a company with "Junk Bond" status?

Wage "give backs" go contrary to the very funtamental core beliefs of the C.A.W. ever since it was formed. Conecession are the MAIN REASON why we left the UAW in the first place.

First it's a 5% wage reduction, then it's more co-pays for our benifits...then what? No more 30 n out? No way. If we start taking concessions now we're fucked and might as well work for Express at FORMET.

youngSTAP

Its called job security.... I could care less what the fundamental core beliefs of the CAW are. I have a family to provide for, and if it means working for 28 bucks an hour(instead of 32), plus pension and benefits I'm all over it. The sad thing is I'd say most of the young workforce with families would be also. In contract negotiations, did the CAW stop for 1 second and ask the company what it would take from STAP to get another vehicle? I'd truly like to know what it would take for us to get another vehicle.....I'd wager the question was not asked once.

By the way its 300 a month not a week. Or 75 dollars a week. The company is talking about being BOLD and INNOVATIVE, well as a union we should all be thinking about being BOLD and INNOVATIVE to keep our jobs

But hey NO CONCESSIONS. Looks like Ford pulled the wool over our eyes on that one

By the way YOungSTAP why do you work for a company that is junk status???

Nothing we can say or do will save the future of STAP. We sealed our fate that day back in December when people failed to come to work after a winter storm.

You weren't really serious about the 5% payback were you? I certainly hope not. You think too much..... Troll. :blink:

While the thought is noble, nothing that you can give back to the company will be enough to secure your future. The Mexicans in the closing plant have never had anything we could give back, and then some; ant they're still closing.

There's no such thing as true job security -- the closest thing is having the cards in your favor to be at a plant that has a product that people want.

Government is giving the auto industry incentives to invest in Canada, just so you know Toyota got a piece of that pie with the new plant they are building, thanks to our tax dollars, I don't here anyone bitching about that. This 5% would be a joint venture with the government, Ford only gets this money when there is the substantial committment and investment at STAP. Do you honestly think that if we get a flex plant or new product that it will come without a price. Here is where we control what we give to ensure investment. We don't want to give up the farm, but we will give something up and it might be more than 5%. WHO knows, only time will tell

By the way its 300 a month not a week. Or 75 dollars a week. The company is talking about being BOLD and INNOVATIVE, well as a union we should all be thinking about being BOLD and INNOVATIVE to keep our jobs

But hey NO CONCESSIONS. Looks like Ford pulled the wool over our eyes on that one

By the way YOungSTAP why do you work for a company that is junk status???

your right, BOLD and INNOVATIVE is what is needed. So why not have replace the GREEN MILE with larger

EXIT SIGNS so ford doesn't have to pay this guy millions to tell us where they are located.

just a BOLD and innovative thought.

Nice to see people thinking about fixes and long tern viability. Personally I feel you can give, and they can invest till the "cows come home" but unless your building a product people want. Building it right and be able to manage plants and people in a cost effective way the future will remain uncertain. Not only for local investment but the long term viability of the company. What kind of company has floor management watch 100+ people walk off the line an hour before the end of shift and continues to pay them at full rate when they could be at work -working! That last hour of the day they could be working on a suggestion program or moping my work station? That kind of company can’t compete! Period!!

Any ways keep thinking!

Nothing we can say or do will save the future of STAP. We sealed our fate that day back in December when people failed to come to work after a winter storm.

Oh come on. Give me a break, you think that a while plant is shut down because one shift fails to report to work? Companies don't just throw away 800 million dollar investments like an auto factory becuase of one shift, one day.

yS

How's this for a way to keep the plant open:

Come to work....every day. And do you job....well! (In other words, get your ass in here and don't ship shit for the hell of it)

It's what our plant chair asked us to do!

He said it's the BEST THING we could DO!

How about this for a BOLD and INOVATIVE idea.....anyone with less than 10 years seniority off faking on S&A or Comp or with a permanant "restriction" (aka too lasy to do fuck all) STOP IT!

Anyone notice that the new work force in our plant with less than 10, that has had the most benifits from ergonomics, safety, etc has had the HIGHTEST rate of comp/restrictions/s&a claims?

You rarely ever see a guy with 20+ off with a "restriction" No! Because they're not lazy fucks like some of their kids are!

They probably don't want to invest in our plant becuae they're afraid they'll hire more of US once the old guys go.

youngSTAP

Nice to see people thinking about fixes and long tern viability. Personally I feel you can give, and they can invest till the "cows come home" but unless your building a product people want. Building it right and be able to manage plants and people in a cost effective way the future will remain uncertain. Not only for local investment but the long term viability of the company. What kind of company has floor management watch 100+ people walk off the line an hour before the end of shift and continues to pay them at full rate when they could be at work -working! That last hour of the day they could be working on a suggestion program or moping my work station? That kind of company can’t compete! Period!!

Any ways keep thinking!

You ask: "What kind of company has floor management watch 100+ people walk off the line an hour before the end of the shift and continue to pay them...?"

Answer: a successful car company----Volvo.

I visited two Volvo plants in Sweden back in 2000. at the Skovde engine plant, employees were allowed to leave 1.5 hours early(no sooner than that) if their line made production. It was in their union contract, too. :)

Product is the future of stap.

you can take concessions and change work rules, but this is short term.

Love or hate the magnum or 300c. You have to admit these cars are BOLD and INNOVATIVE and more importantly good seller.

These cars have been around about 2 years and in magazines for a year before that. What has ford

countered with THE 500. A new color or grill for the c. vic or g/m.

Ford doesn't even see the 300,magnum or charger in the same class as the c/v or g/m.

That is until all the police, taxi, bingo wagons are chrysler.

Chysler overhauled their plant spending millions to make a large sedan. Killing another popular

car the Intrepid. Stap could have made a similar car with relative easy.

Ford will end up making a similar car after the ship has sailed and chysler will be on to the next BOLD and INNOVATIVE car.

Edited by X Stap R