Problems with an '08 Escape Hybrid order - need help!

mbagsb

Hi. We ordered a 2008 FEH hybrid in early June. We started calling the dealer about 3 weeks later to get an update and just got the run around. Called Ford customer service and they said there was no order in the system.

When we went back to the dealer, they gave us a song and dance about their allocations and how they didn't have allocation to even place the order. So they had been holding on to the order!

Does that make sense? I thought allocation just determines how quickly they get the orders they have placed (i.e. if you have 30 on order, and your allocation is 3 a month, it will take you 10 months to work through those orders) and can't understand how it would/should impact when my order gets placed in the system.

Long story short, after raising hell, the dealer finally put it into the system and now we have a valid order number - problem is, I'm feeling like we lost 4 - 6 weeks. When we call Ford, they tell us the order has been received but hasn't been selected by the computer for production.

How long can we expect to wait from this point? In addition to my order number, I have an order code of 300A - no idea what that means. I don't have any other information other than the order number - no VIN, DORA, etc.

Is there any way that we can accelerate things given that it sounds like we lost 4 or 5 weeks while the order was sitting on their desk rather than in the system. We are really steamed!

Thanks for any advice!

Hi. We ordered a 2008 FEH hybrid in early June. We started calling the dealer about 3 weeks later to get an update and just got the run around. Called Ford customer service and they said there was no order in the system.

When we went back to the dealer, they gave us a song and dance about their allocations and how they didn't have allocation to even place the order. So they had been holding on to the order!

Does that make sense? I thought allocation just determines how quickly they get the orders they have placed (i.e. if you have 30 on order, and your allocation is 3 a month, it will take you 10 months to work through those orders) and can't understand how it would/should impact when my order gets placed in the system.

Long story short, after raising hell, the dealer finally put it into the system and now we have a valid order number - problem is, I'm feeling like we lost 4 - 6 weeks. When we call Ford, they tell us the order has been received but hasn't been selected by the computer for production.

How long can we expect to wait from this point? In addition to my order number, I have an order code of 300A - no idea what that means. I don't have any other information other than the order number - no VIN, DORA, etc.

Is there any way that we can accelerate things given that it sounds like we lost 4 or 5 weeks while the order was sitting on their desk rather than in the system. We are really steamed!

Thanks for any advice!

I think you might be making a mountain out of a mole-hill. I personally would put in the order without the allocation,but I know of dealers that puts the orders in when they have allocation. '08 Escapes are selling well,and dealers have limited allocations...there is more demand for the '08 Escape,and Hybrids are a controlled comodity...even harder to get allocation for....be patient the dealership has no reason not to get your Escape scheduled.

I think you might be making a mountain out of a mole-hill. I personally would put in the order without the allocation,but I know of dealers that puts the orders in when they have allocation. '08 Escapes are selling well,and dealers have limited allocations...there is more demand for the '08 Escape,and Hybrids are a controlled comodity...even harder to get allocation for....be patient the dealership has no reason not to get your Escape scheduled.

I don't think the questions I'm asking are unreasonable and, in fact, I probably shouldn't have to ask them in the first place. I guess I would expect proactive updates as part of good service.

All I'm asking for is some information on a product that I have ordered. I'm sure you would agree that when you walk in some place to order a good, and slap down a deposit, your expectation is that the business you are working with will process and fulfill the order. I understand there may be delays along the way, but to not even start the process seems strange to me. I'm sure that if Ford called up one of their suppliers looking for a particular part and found out that they had been sitting on the order, there might be a cause for concern as well.

After 6+ weeks of waiting and hearing that it hasn't been scheduled for production (the order has not been received but is just sitting there), I'm just trying to understand what is next. I'm hearing everything from 8 - 16 weeks from the time the order gets scheduled and I'd love be able to plan some things. Not too much to ask from my perspective.

I don't think the questions I'm asking are unreasonable and, in fact, I probably shouldn't have to ask them in the first place. I guess I would expect proactive updates as part of good service.

All I'm asking for is some information on a product that I have ordered. I'm sure you would agree that when you walk in some place to order a good, and slap down a deposit, your expectation is that the business you are working with will process and fulfill the order. I understand there may be delays along the way, but to not even start the process seems strange to me. I'm sure that if Ford called up one of their suppliers looking for a particular part and found out that they had been sitting on the order, there might be a cause for concern as well.

After 6+ weeks of waiting and hearing that it hasn't been scheduled for production (the order has not been received but is just sitting there), I'm just trying to understand what is next. I'm hearing everything from 8 - 16 weeks from the time the order gets scheduled and I'd love be able to plan some things. Not too much to ask from my perspective.

doesn't matter...dealers are only being allocated a few a month...we have been hybrid-less for close to 1 1/2 months and are taking all we can at every wholesale....unfortunately if only 3 ar allocated they are on a first come first serve basis but RETAIL orders take precedence,,,,,

doesn't matter...dealers are only being allocated a few a month...we have been hybrid-less for close to 1 1/2 months and are taking all we can at every wholesale....unfortunately if only 3 ar allocated they are on a first come first serve basis but RETAIL orders take precedence,,,,,

So if I am first in line (which I was told I was), should I expect that my order should get scheduled in 30 days or less?

So if I am first in line (which I was told I was), should I expect that my order should get scheduled in 30 days or less?

totally depends on the dealers allocation...if nothing is allocated then NOTHING gets pulled...personally I think it is B^&%sh^T, because I have been victim ( actually my customers ) myself....my reply to our FORD REP was ...so should I just send them to a dealer that HAS allocation?????????????? ASK FOR A VIN NUMBER..........

Edited by Deanh

totally depends on the dealers allocation...if nothing is allocated then NOTHING gets pulled...personally I think it is B^&%sh^T, because I have been victim ( actually my customers ) myself....my reply to our FORD REP was ...so should I just send them to a dealer that HAS allocation?????????????? ASK FOR A VIN NUMBER..........

So I guess I just have to wait and hope that they get allocation. That seems like crap. If I want to buy a Ford, I can't just go to the closest dealer? I now get penalized for that? Doesn't seem particularly fair to me.

Is there a way to evaluate dealers on their allocation?

Also, I know you said to ask for a VIN number, but now I'm being told that a VIN number isn't assigned until the order gets scheduled and that only the regional rep can schedule an order. I suppose, that once again, I'm screwed.

Ford management is supposed to be watching this board... if so.... HELP! You have a first-time customer here that is getting screwed. Please don't let this relationship start off on the wrong foot!

So I guess I just have to wait and hope that they get allocation. That seems like crap. If I want to buy a Ford, I can't just go to the closest dealer? I now get penalized for that? Doesn't seem particularly fair to me.

Is there a way to evaluate dealers on their allocation?

Also, I know you said to ask for a VIN number, but now I'm being told that a VIN number isn't assigned until the order gets scheduled and that only the regional rep can schedule an order. I suppose, that once again, I'm screwed.

Ford management is supposed to be watching this board... if so.... HELP! You have a first-time customer here that is getting screwed. Please don't let this relationship start off on the wrong foot!

apologies for what is basically a shitty system, it is not really the dealers fault...just be patient, you may also want to track down the reps ph# and BURN their ear......also realise there are only so many Hybrids to go around, and allocation is based on sales figures...things are relatively slow....

Edited by Deanh

apologies for what is basically a shitty system, it is not really the dealers fault...just be patient, you may also want to track down the reps ph# and BURN their ear......also realise there are only so many Hybrids to go around, and allocation is based on sales figures...things are relatively slow....

That is a BS response. The dealership should have told the customer that they did not have allocation for June and they would have to wait for scheduling. The dealer knows the Ford system -they just chose not to share information they had with the customer.

They also knew that Kansas City would be down the first two weeks in July. Additional information they chose not to share.

Ask your field manager if they appreciate your advice. :finger:

That is a BS response. The dealership should have told the customer that they did not have allocation for June and they would have to wait for scheduling. The dealer knows the Ford system -they just chose not to share information they had with the customer.

They also knew that Kansas City would be down the first two weeks in July. Additional information they chose not to share.

Ask your field manager if they appreciate your advice. :finger:

and thats an ignorant response...I didn't know Kansas city was going down ...and I sure as hell don't sit in on wholesales to find out allocation....so ordering customers NOW have to go straight into the dealers principles office to find out...sheesh! dealers are taking ALL the hybrids they can get...supply is short, only so many to go around...thats it! back in the sandpit laddie, comments like that come from people that just think they can add water and POOF theres the car they want...NO PATIENCE! .

Edited by Deanh

and thats an ignorant response...I didn't know Kansas city was going down ...and I sure as hell don't sit in on wholesales to find out allocation....so ordering customers NOW have to go straight into the dealers principles office to find out...sheesh! dealers are taking ALL the hybrids they can get...supply is short, only so many to go around...thats it! back in the sandpit laddie, comments like that come from people that just think they can add water and POOF theres the car they want...NO PATIENCE! .

Actually, from the get go, I was asking for assistance with understanding the situation. I don't think I have my head in the sand and I think I've been awful patient - in fact, if I knew the order was sitting at the factory, scheduled for production, and couldn't be produced because they were short on components, I'd be very understanding (to a point) because I know these things are in demand.

I've been waiting for close to 8 weeks and my order is still, I called Ford today to ask for an update, sitting in their system unscheduled for production. I understand that these are in high demand, but I gave FORD an order and a deposit quite a long time ago and 8 weeks seems like an awful long time to be waiting with nothing going on. There isn't even a VIN assigned to the car yet.

Now I'm being told that some district or region rep sits with it until they decide its time to release it to the factory for production. Seems to me that the order, and deposit, have been sitting with paper pushers long enough and the folks at the factory, the people BUILDING the car, be deciding when they are able to get to the order.

Anybody know how I can track down the name and number of this district/regional rep to bend their ear and find out when they plan to release it for scheduling?

Edited by mbagsb

Actually, from the get go, I was asking for assistance with understanding the situation. I don't think I have my head in the sand and I think I've been awful patient - in fact, if I knew the order was sitting at the factory, scheduled for production, and couldn't be produced because they were short on components, I'd be very understanding (to a point) because I know these things are in demand.

I've been waiting for close to 8 weeks and my order is still, I called Ford today to ask for an update, sitting in their system unscheduled for production. I understand that these are in high demand, but I gave FORD an order and a deposit quite a long time ago and 8 weeks seems like an awful long time to be waiting with nothing going on. There isn't even a VIN assigned to the car yet.

Now I'm being told that some district or region rep sits with it until they decide its time to release it to the factory for production. Seems to me that the order, and deposit, have been sitting with paper pushers long enough and the folks at the factory, the people BUILDING the car, be deciding when they are able to get to the order.

Anybody know how I can track down the name and number of this district/regional rep to bend their ear and find out when they plan to release it for scheduling?

it could be a commodity issue as well..but the dealer should be able to tell you if in fact that is the case....I remember one customer that HAD to have the chrome package on his ordered F-150....took 4 months...arrrrrg! also Ford may not have been geared up for the demand on the hybrid.....I have heard that is true as well......

Do you sell cars or take orders? The dealer's news bulletins come out every Friday and give plant production schedules, indicate which commodities are controlled, tells you the scheduling dates for each vehicle line, etc.

If you don't know what your allocation is, what is controlled, when an order is likely to be scheduled, etc. then ask someone before you let a customer believe they will see their new vehicle in a few weeks. They get mad and you tell them it's the field reps sitting on the order. Ridiculous. It is your job to represent the customer and ask the questions they don't know to ask!

You need a process change in your dealership.

Every Monday morning the sales consultants need to review controlled commodities, plant scheduling, allocation issues, status of their customer's orders, etc. Know what is going on and customers won't be caught up in these situations. And fess up - the dealership has information at their fingetips - don't throw it off on the field rep - they may ride in driving a big bus.

Do you sell cars or take orders? The dealer's news bulletins come out every Friday and give plant production schedules, indicate which commodities are controlled, tells you the scheduling dates for each vehicle line, etc.

If you don't know what your allocation is, what is controlled, when an order is likely to be scheduled, etc. then ask someone before you let a customer believe they will see their new vehicle in a few weeks. They get mad and you tell them it's the field reps sitting on the order. Ridiculous. It is your job to represent the customer and ask the questions they don't know to ask!

You need a process change in your dealership.

Every Monday morning the sales consultants need to review controlled commodities, plant scheduling, allocation issues, status of their customer's orders, etc. Know what is going on and customers won't be caught up in these situations. And fess up - the dealership has information at their fingetips - don't throw it off on the field rep - they may ride in driving a big bus.

can't sell if we are constantly micromanaging can we...but we DO relay what we are told by Ford reps etc...do YOU oh holy one even know what an allocation is...are you even affiliated with a dealership?, have you HAD experience with this situation...if not sit your ass down to stop talking out of it and muffle the tripe...armchair experts have all the answers, they can run dealerships like NO other...i feel for the customer...even more-so if he is taking your advice....the order will eventually free itself...but hybrids are SLOOOOOW right now....capice? IDIOSO! sweeping finger pointing comments such as yours anger the crap outa me....next time I spend a week and a half of my time trying to find out the information for a customer that you seem to think is outrageously easy I will have them track you down...20 years of doing this and you can get to the bottom of this easier...dammit!.........oh, but thats right, its right at our fingertips...me bad!

Edited by Deanh

now back to sanity...anyway MB...any updates? unfortunately to get to the bottom of delays is a long tedious and sometimes fruitless task, my suggestions are to get the dealer to call OPC ( order processing center ) to seeif there is a commodity issue causing the delay. that is box #1, box #2 is to ask the dealer to cofirm order is priority 10....anything more it will take forever. Next up question if they did request hybrids at their last wholesale...if they didn't then the order won't get "pulled" until their next wholesale ( usually once a month )...and ask if they did in fact have allocation of hybrids. Next up..the dealer ( unfortunately customers cannot talk to reps directly ) needs to call the rep. The rep will then go up the ladder and hopefully get to the bottom of the issue. Hopefully from what I have suggested you will get results...but beleive me, from someone that has gone thru this 10's of times per year it is NOT something as simple as SOME suggest. good luck! Like i said before...it is just a shitty FRUSTRATING system...

Edited by Deanh

now back to sanity...anyway MB...any updates? unfortunately to get to the bottom of delays is a long tedious and sometimes fruitless task, my suggestions are to get the dealer to call OPC ( order processing center ) to seeif there is a commodity issue causing the delay. that is box #1, box #2 is to ask the dealer to cofirm order is priority 10....anything more it will take forever. Next up question if they did request hybrids at their last wholesale...if they didn't then the order won't get "pulled" until their next wholesale ( usually once a month )...and ask if they did in fact have allocation of hybrids. Next up..the dealer ( unfortunately customers cannot talk to reps directly ) needs to call the rep. The rep will then go up the ladder and hopefully get to the bottom of the issue. Hopefully from what I have suggested you will get results...but beleive me, from someone that has gone thru this 10's of times per year it is NOT something as simple as SOME suggest. good luck! Like i said before...it is just a shitty FRUSTRATING system...

No updates at all. I called Ford today... order is still sitting there waiting for "computer selection".

I've tried the dealer but the response I get from them is less than helpful. They seem more aggrivated with the fact that I'm asking questions than with the situation itself. It's like they'd rather me sit and shut up. After all, these are the same people who sat on the order for 6 weeks before even putting it in the system.

I have a copy of the DORA and I am priority 10 - at this point, I'm at a total loss. This is my first American car, first Ford and it's far from a good experience.

If this is the system that they have in place, it's no wonder that they are having the bigger problems that they are.

No updates at all. I called Ford today... order is still sitting there waiting for "computer selection".

I've tried the dealer but the response I get from them is less than helpful. They seem more aggrivated with the fact that I'm asking questions than with the situation itself. It's like they'd rather me sit and shut up. After all, these are the same people who sat on the order for 6 weeks before even putting it in the system.

I have a copy of the DORA and I am priority 10 - at this point, I'm at a total loss. This is my first American car, first Ford and it's far from a good experience.

If this is the system that they have in place, it's no wonder that they are having the bigger problems that they are.

don't blame the dealer, if you have a dated dora proving they placed the order they did their part ...they are probably as flustered as you thus their agravation..they can't give you a straight answer...I have had 4 hybrids in the banks for 2 months....I finally have etas, however they are not the usual 6-8 week build....demand is outstripping supply right now...it was the same when the mustangs first came out, the Hybrids demand are in no doubt due to Georgy and his oil stock owning buddies....hybrids seem to be taking 12 plus weeks....if it is any consolation my own personal car took 9 months ( Cooper S..my specs ) it too was in high demand and none were on the lots...( ones that were were 3-4k over window sticker )

Edited by Deanh

Also realise there are perhaps ( hypothetical ) 6000 orders in the banks with the capacity to build only X amount per month, your'e not the only one in this predicament, dealers are also annoyed, they have plenty of buyers...NO product!...if you weren't on a Hybrid and perhaps on a F150 no problem!

Out of curiosity, how many foreign cars have you ordered, and how long did it take you to get them?

I've ordered 3 different foreign vehicles and have averaged between 8 and 10 weeks. I gave the dealer the deposit on this car at the end of May (it's been 8 weeks) and it hasn't even been scheduled for production yet.

If you are trying to suggest that I'm being unreasonable with my questions, please come out and say it. Perhaps if there was a bit more transparency with the way things have been handled thus far I wouldn't be so cynical.

don't blame the dealer, if you have a dated dora proving they placed the order they did their part ...they are probably as flustered as you thus their agravation..they can't give you a straight answer...I have had 4 hybrids in the banks for 2 months....I finally have etas, however they are not the usual 6-8 week build....demand is outstripping supply right now...it was the same when the mustangs first came out, the Hybrids demand are in no doubt due to Georgy and his oil stock owning buddies....hybrids seem to be taking 12 plus weeks....if it is any consolation my own personal car took 9 months ( Cooper S..my specs ) it too was in high demand and none were on the lots...( ones that were were 3-4k over window sticker )

Thanks for your help Dean, I'll continue to wait and see. I hope the car is worth it.

Thanks for your help Dean, I'll continue to wait and see. I hope the car is worth it.

no probs..wish I could help more, we are frustrated as hell as well....but from what I hear they are worth the wait......one guy I sold 3 for his whole family! His only complaint is a tad more road noise than what he likes, but his were 07's.........

I don't think our being unreasonable, but I think your anger is being directed the wrong way. If the dealer has been holding your order, then your anger should be at them, not Ford. Unfortunately, Ford has little control over the dealers due to franchise laws. It may have been 8 weeks since you placed the order with the dealer, but Ford has not had your order for 8 weeks.

Since you have priority 10, your order should go fast now, depending on what their allocation is.

And, IMHO, they are feeding you a line when they say your order is next in line. It may be next for their dealership, but they have no way of knowing how many orders are ahead of you nationally.

I hope things work out, and you get your vehicle very soon and it lives up to your expectation. I hope that they dealer doesn't deter you from ordering/purchasing another Ford in the future. Personally, I would have taken my order to another dealership after they held it.

Pioneer...they never did hold it, he has a dora...order was placed, and "next in line" refers to the dealers allocation being pulled....in which case his was at the top of the list. There is no way someone can say next in line meaning nationally. I recently went thru this hell on an 08 Expedition Limited EL of all things.....it was 1 month late from the eta posted on shipping dates...it took 5 weeks of research to get a beleivable answer....stuck at the train due to weather conditions back east!!!!!!!!! 5 weeks to get that info! He is merely a victim of supply i think, there is no "bad guy" as such.

According to him they did.

thats a little sneaky maybe......but once they hav a dora the only thing that can hold up an order IS allocation and supply/ commoditie issues...dealers CANNOT hold up an order....the restraints come from" above"....only way they can hold it up is to not even place it.

I mis understood...I thought he had ( and he should have ) a dated dora the day he placed the order....if he did not the dealer is moronic..........

I place the ordder in June but didn't get a DORA until July. They told me they didn't have allocation to place an order.