Squealing Brakes

proman

I got my 07 EB expy in Dec. of 07. Every now and then the brakes would squeal lightly when coming to a slow stop. For the last week they seem to be getting louder when coming to a slow stop. I have 20K already on the expy, so it's not a breaking in problem.

Anyone else having this problem ? What could cause the noise with the truck being this new ?

Thanks for any input.

Mike :redcard:

Brake squealing is usually caused by contamination on the pad surface. My brother taught me a neat little trick that usually gets rid of the sqealing:

Find yourself a big empty parking lot, drive the vehicle quickly in reverse and slam on the brakes. Repeat this 2-3 times and it will usually rid the pads of any contaminants that cause the squealing. Has worked like a charm on my Mazda6 when it did the same thing.

Brake squealing is usually caused by contamination on the pad surface. My brother taught me a neat little trick that usually gets rid of the sqealing:

Find yourself a big empty parking lot, drive the vehicle quickly in reverse and slam on the brakes. Repeat this 2-3 times and it will usually rid the pads of any contaminants that cause the squealing. Has worked like a charm on my Mazda6 when it did the same thing.

Thanks for the idea, I will sure give it a try. It is really irritating to come to a stop and sound like a 30 year old vehicle. It really is loud. I will let you know if it worked.

Thanks again, Mike

Doing the same type of stops also work going forward, although I could see where reverse might work better - assuming you don't hit anything.

My sister ran into a tree with the family station wagon back in the 70's trying to "back off" the excess miles she put on it that night.

Doing the same type of stops also work going forward, although I could see where reverse might work better - assuming you don't hit anything.

My sister ran into a tree with the family station wagon back in the 70's trying to "back off" the excess miles she put on it that night.

Well, apparently reverse works better since it digs out a lot of the contaminants that are embedded at a forward angle. I suggested a large empty parking lot for exactly the reason you mentioned. D'OH!!! :doh:

Wanted to let you know that your idea worked very well. I dare say that 90 % of the squeal is gone. I am going to try this trick a couple of more times to see if I can get it to stop all of the squeal but if not I'm still happy with these results. Thanks again !!

Mike

Wanted to let you know that your idea worked very well. I dare say that 90 % of the squeal is gone. I am going to try this trick a couple of more times to see if I can get it to stop all of the squeal but if not I'm still happy with these results. Thanks again !!

Mike

No problem! Glad it worked! I know how annoying brake sqeal can be. Makes you think everybody in traffic is looking at your "busted up" ride.

Mike

Mike, Mine started sqealing really bad again so I did the same thing many times yesterday and I would say 80% is gone. Atleast its not as loud as it was before. It's really is bad when you have this nice new car that squeals so loud, people turn and look at you. I heard organic brakes are better, but do they wear faster?

Edited by ELlover

• 2 weeks later...
Mike, Mine started sqealing really bad again so I did the same thing many times yesterday and I would say 80% is gone. Atleast its not as loud as it was before. It's really is bad when you have this nice new car that squeals so loud, people turn and look at you. I heard organic brakes are better, but do they wear faster?

Well Hello There Lady:

Haven't heard from you in quite a while. Hope you are doing well.

My brakes are really so much better. I am so glad I got this good idea from my buddy in the forum.

I really don't know anything about the organic breaks. Hopefully someone will see your post and give you an answer. Sorry for not answering quicker but I just got back from vacation and wasn't available.

Mike

Well Hello There Lady:

Haven't heard from you in quite a while. Hope you are doing well.

My brakes are really so much better. I am so glad I got this good idea from my buddy in the forum.

I really don't know anything about the organic breaks. Hopefully someone will see your post and give you an answer. Sorry for not answering quicker but I just got back from vacation and wasn't available.

Mike

Glad to be of help.

As for th organic pads, they may be a bit quieter than metallic or ceramic pads. They tend to put off a lot of brake dust though. Always a trade-off somewhere I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nick:

Just wanted to say thanks again for your suggestion about my brakes. I tried this trick again this past weekend because there was still a little squeal. I now have no squeal at all. It's like having new breaks and now I don't have people staring at me !! Thanks again.

Mike