F-150 Parking Brake

boegey

I'm looking for a little help. If any could assist, I'd appreciate it.

I have an '04 F150 Super Crew FX4 with the auto tranny. It has around 65,000 miles and is out of warranty. I use the parking brake religiously (manual transmission folks will understand my constant use of this brake). At this point, it feels like the cable has stretched and the pedal goes to the floor. It barely holds my truck and cannot hold it when my boat is hooked up. (The boat is around 3500 pounds with trailer.)

Is there an adjustment anywhere for this? Can I take up the slack someplace or adjust something back by the rear calipers?

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Boegey

I'm looking for a little help. If any could assist, I'd appreciate it.

I have an '04 F150 Super Crew FX4 with the auto tranny. It has around 65,000 miles and is out of warranty. I use the parking brake religiously (manual transmission folks will understand my constant use of this brake). At this point, it feels like the cable has stretched and the pedal goes to the floor. It barely holds my truck and cannot hold it when my boat is hooked up. (The boat is around 3500 pounds with trailer.)

Is there an adjustment anywhere for this? Can I take up the slack someplace or adjust something back by the rear calipers?

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Boegey

Hi boegey. :D Well, I can give you some hope and sunshine until someone with specific F-150 expertise jumps in.

Yes, there is an adjustment for the parking brake. Unfortunately, I do not know where the adjustment is made specific to the F-150. There is usually an adjustment mechanism on the cable itself somewhere between the parking brake handle and the rear brakes, and another adjustment mechanism at the rear brakes themselves.

But it is adjustable, have patience and I'm sure you'll get the details from another forum member soon.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Hi boegey. :D Well, I can give you some hope and sunshine until someone with specific F-150 expertise jumps in.

Yes, there is an adjustment for the parking brake. Unfortunately, I do not know where the adjustment is made specific to the F-150. There is usually an adjustment mechanism on the cable itself somewhere between the parking brake handle and the rear brakes, and another adjustment mechanism at the rear brakes themselves.

But it is adjustable, have patience and I'm sure you'll get the details from another forum member soon.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Thanks, I'll keep checking in and have a crawl under my dash and truck to look for an adjuster.

Boegey

The adjustment should be be like the standard drum adjustment. Remove the rubber plug and adjust. Older model F-150 (99-03) had some problems with the e brakes sticking at times. When "freed" the brake shoe would brake off...causing your e-brake to go to the floor. Happened to me 3x so far.

The adjustment should be be like the standard drum adjustment. Remove the rubber plug and adjust. Older model F-150 (99-03) had some problems with the e brakes sticking at times. When "freed" the brake shoe would brake off...causing your e-brake to go to the floor. Happened to me 3x so far.

Thanks, Mr. Robot and Atomaro.

When I get home I'll start at rear discs rather than looking under the dash or where ever for an adjuster. If it is like drums, this should be a piece of cake. I hope I don't have the bad luck Atomaro had.

Boegey

Thanks, Mr. Robot and Atomaro.

When I get home I'll start at rear discs rather than looking under the dash or where ever for an adjuster. If it is like drums, this should be a piece of cake. I hope I don't have the bad luck Atomaro had.

Boegey

Thanks for all your help. As you stated, it was a simple drum brake adjustment.

Boegey