CVPI about to finnaly get run for the money???

I read in a motor trend that GM is testing its Holden mondeo platform here in the states for a four door application for the next gen Impala.

If this is true, will the impala finally grow to a size needed for police depts? The current impala is still too small.

In addition, the charger spanked the crap out of the cvpi in the 06 michigan state police tests.

Athough I'm an avid Ford fan, I can forsee these becoming a problem for Ford if they dont do something about the 30+year panther.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Edited by sa_seahawker

I read in a motor trend that GM is finnally testing its Holden mondeo platform here in the states for a four door application for the next gen Impala.

If this is true, the impala will inally grow to a size needed for police depts. The current impala is still too small.

You're mixing your cars.

Mondeo = Ford

Monaro = Holden

There is no reason to believe that a Monaro/Zeta based Impala will be at all larger than the current model. The current Monaro is the basis for the GTO, and the 4 door that the Monaro was based on was the basis for the Cadillac Catera. Neither of those vehicles were substantially large vehicles.

The change to RWD could pose a problem for Ford if they are not ready to respond.

The same Motor Trend that you mention also mentions "whispers" of Ford developing a sedan off of the D2C platform that underpins the Mustang.

I tend not to put a lot of stock in MT's forcasts...

You're mixing your cars.

Mondeo = Ford

Monaro = Holden

doh! sorry bout that! lol.....I even spelled "finally" wrong in the topic post!!! :D

Isn't the Holden Caprice an extended version of that?

holden caprice

What do they use for the STS?

Imagine building the following:

off the zeta:

Cadi CTS

Pontiac Grand Prix

Chevy Malibu

Buick LaCrosse

off the ext zeta (If that is what it is):

Cadi DTS

Chevy Impala

Pontiac Bonneville/G8

Buick Lucerne

Of course that would mean major product changes and I'm not sure as to the feasibility of it, but it seems to be a good lineup so long as they dont "cookie-cutter" the designs and produce rebadged clones.

I think ford could still get away with building cvpi, marquis, and towncar off of the same platform, its just that the panther is way too old but I can't think of any suitable replacements.

Edited by sa_seahawker

The Impala and now the new Charger fit niches. The Impala is an alternative to municipal departments that don't need the overall room that a CVPI gives, don't need the performance stability of rear wheel drive, and they also try to sell it on fuel economy and price. The Charger now fits the niche of those that think the top speed and acceleration are far and away the most important aspects of the police car, like a dedicated pursuit task. I've heard people knock it on issues of interior room and visibility with the high waist line window thresholds.

I still think the CVPI is the best overall alternative but it could be improved upon. I've been in law enforcement for 18 years and have driven everything from late 80 Impalas, Celebrities, CVPI's, Taurus (Police Package), early 90's Caprices, CVPI's all through the 90's, then a 2 year stint in the Impala (fwd). My current ride is a 2005 CVPI. I've liked the Fords the best and I'd say my 98 CVPI was the best yet that I had assigned to me.

Ford could certainly improve the CVPI when the time comes (hopefully soon). If I had to improve upon it I would only suggest bumping up the top speed to the 135-140 range. I don't care what the speed freaks say, 150 is too fast for most police officers to drive at (and I know several that will try) because it is beyond the skill of the average officer. I hope the temptation to go all out in a Charger doesn't hurt too many officers should they get in a high speed wreck. My 98 would go 134 and it was stable at that speed because it weighed 4820 with me and all my equipment. The 00 Impala I drove weighed 4220 (equipped) and it was wandering and felt light at 115 . Ford has, in general, a stable police car platform. I'm not big on the independent rear suspension because I know it would drive up the cost of the car.

A fresher, cleaner, more modern sheet metal treatment is in order. I would like to see a front end that looks more like the Fusion and less like a Five Hundred. Keep the good visibility the current model offers (the Chevy has poor rear visibility because of the high trunk) and keep the interior clean and roomy (computers, radars, radios, cages, rifles, and shotguns take up room). Minimize the instrument cluster and flatten the dash a bit. Things they are already doing like pre-wiring harnesses is nice too. How about some side bolstering in the seats? At least above where the gunbelt rides.

But here's a biggee. Overall quality and dependability have been sliding the last few years. We used to brag about the dependability of our CVPI fleet. Now we wonder why some of the nickel and dime problems keep appearing. 150 MPH police cars won't kill the CVPI, but a poor quality CVPI sure will if current fleet managers get tired of it.

GM has 2 RWD platforms, Sigma and Zeta.

Sigma stays with Caddies, no "ZETA CTS" ever.

Zeta is to be used with the new Camaro, and others, but it is still 'unofficial'

Also, it is a myth that the Holden Monaro/GTO is a "Catera". It is actually a stretched Opel Omega, once called "Opel Senator". Holden took it after Opel decided to not make more Senators.

Also, it is a myth that the Holden Monaro/GTO is a "Catera". It is actually a stretched Opel Omega, once called "Opel Senator". Holden took it after Opel decided to not make more Senators.

Sharp eyes will note that the GTO is nothing more than a 2- Door Catera.... which was basically a rebadged Opel Senator. They are as closely related As the 500 and the Freestyle.