A Wish For Diesels

mlhm5

Has this changed?

"During an interview with Automotive News, Mark Fields, Ford's U.S. division president, said that the automaker would not be offering diesels in any of its passenger cars in the near future."

Link to Article

Nissan, VW, MB, Toyota and Honda are planning to introduce diesels into their passenger car inventory in 2009 or 2010. Since some of the best diesels in Europe are made by Ford, why is Ford fighting the introduction of diesels in passenger cars?

It isn't like Ford's passenger cars are ringing the cash register and without a diesel, Ford will not be able to compete for the dollars of segment who want a diesel sedan or SUV, thus reducing Ford's overall share of passenger cars.

We saw the complacency when Toyota decided to market a hybrid and now Prius is number 9 on the list with a bullet.

I desperately want a choice of diesels from Ford, but it looks like they are a long way away.

• 2 weeks later...

We have not heard anything definitive since that article .. so most observers - like this board just assume that nothing much has changed. It seems the V6 hybrid program was revived but there has been no new rumblings of a car diesel.

I think Ford will try it with the Hybrids and Twin Force for now.

Igor

I'm sure you are right . . . . . but I still want one.

It seems like it would be a relatively simple thing to do, given the reputation Ford has with diesels in the UK. The powertrains exist. They just need some tweaking for US emissions.

I'm sure you are right . . . . . but I still want one.

It seems like it would be a relatively simple thing to do, given the reputation Ford has with diesels in the UK. The powertrains exist. They just need some tweaking for US emissions.

I am not saying it is a correct strategy, but that seems to be the strategy ... that is all .. I would love a diesel .. but you know .. I am just ONE buyer .. and maybe I would not want it after I saw the sticker price - after all I already almost bought a TDI VW TWICE - both times backed out because of a cheaper alternative.

Igor

Me too. I would have bought one a few months back if they would have been willing to deal a bit. But they wouldn't. So I bought another Focus, which was a smarter move. I could almost buy (2) Foci for what the TDI Jetta was going to cost.

And the TDI was a 2006 model. Very soon these things will be (2) model years old.

And they had a bunch of them, many of which had manual transmissions. I heard VW ran a buch of extra 2006 TDI's so they would have diesel product in 2007 calendar year, and not have to be 2007 emission compiant.

And you know what? They sold every one of them . . . for full price. No incentives.

It really is a shame, because there is a market. Ford has product that would compete with little additional investment. They simply choose not to come to the party.

Edited by Ken F.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I'll take a diesel F150 or a diesel Expedition.

Its your lucky year...lol

Ford is releasing a diesel for the 2009 F150 12mos. after its initial launch.

Itll be a 4.4L turbo diesel with around 350hp and 515 lbs/tq. Its rumored to get gas mileage in the 20s.

However theyll also be launching a 3.5L twin turbo direct injected V6 (Ecoboost engine) for the new F150 around the same time period. Its rumored to get 415hp and 350 lbs/tq with gas mileage also in the 20s.

Cant wait to see the exact numbers. Maybe at the Chicago Auto Show?

Its your lucky year...lol

Ford is releasing a diesel for the 2009 F150 12mos. after its initial launch.

Itll be a 4.4L turbo diesel with around 350hp and 515 lbs/tq. Its rumored to get gas mileage in the 20s.

However theyll also be launching a 3.5L twin turbo direct injected V6 (Ecoboost engine) for the new F150 around the same time period. Its rumored to get 415hp and 350 lbs/tq with gas mileage also in the 20s.

Cant wait to see the exact numbers. Maybe at the Chicago Auto Show?

I guess that would make it the 2010 F150 lol. I would though, be surprised if the diesel has that much power.

I guess that would make it the 2010 F150 lol. I would though, be surprised if the diesel has that much power.

I got the info from igor. Hes usually right about these things lol. The engine its derrived from was making high 200's in hp and it was a 3.8 or something like that. I dont remember :P

Edited by ray101988