X-plan savings question

Turbo77

I will be purchasing a new F-150 with all the bells and whistles this coming spring. I have a friend at the local dealer, and once I learned about the X-plan I inquired about it with him. he said that the X-plan is usually only $50 to $150 under invoice, and after ready a little through here and checking the link provided for the plan summary, it seems as though I may not be getting the whole story. Don't want to say lied to, cause I've known him for ~5yrs, but I'm seeing / hearing about hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars in savings.

Any possiblity some of you could give me and approx. savings you've gotten with this plan.

For comparo, here's what I'm looking at:

F-150 FX4

Black on black

5.4L 3V EFI

3.73 limited slip

Payload package #1c

18" machined cast al wheels

Leather trimmed capt. chairs

Pwr. seat (dr & pass)

FX4 luxury pkg.

Trailer tow pkg.

Pwr. moonroof

Pwr. rear window

Rev. sensing

Pwr. adj. pedals

4" polished st. st. running boards

TIA for any help and insight!

I will be purchasing a new F-150 with all the bells and whistles this coming spring. I have a friend at the local dealer, and once I learned about the X-plan I inquired about it with him. he said that the X-plan is usually only $50 to $150 under invoice, and after ready a little through here and checking the link provided for the plan summary, it seems as though I may not be getting the whole story. Don't want to say lied to, cause I've known him for ~5yrs, but I'm seeing / hearing about hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars in savings.

Any possiblity some of you could give me and approx. savings you've gotten with this plan.

For comparo, here's what I'm looking at:

F-150 FX4

Black on black

5.4L 3V EFI

3.73 limited slip

Payload package #1c

18" machined cast al wheels

Leather trimmed capt. chairs

Pwr. seat (dr & pass)

FX4 luxury pkg.

Trailer tow pkg.

Pwr. moonroof

Pwr. rear window

Rev. sensing

Pwr. adj. pedals

4" polished st. st. running boards

TIA for any help and insight!

Hi Turbo77. :D Your savings will be thousands under MSRP (that is the price on the window sticker). It will be $100-$200 or so below the "Factory Invoice" price. I mention this because many people do not seem to know the difference between the "Window Sticker", and the "Factory Invoice". Then you will take off any available Incentives for even more savings.

I have a feeling there is some confusion between your friend and yourself as to what the actual savings is. It is a Pricing Plan which is very hard/impossible to beat on your own, unless you have a family member who is a Ford Employee, or owns a Dealership.

As far as pricing, it will work much better if you go to http://www.fordvehicles.com and follow the prompts to "Search Dealer Inventory" for an F-150 in your area that fits your criteria.

Then come back and post the Name of the Dealership, the Dealerships ZIP Code (not yours), and the VIN. Also tell us the trim level (XLT, Lariat, etc.) and color. We will then find out the X-Plan price for you , and let you know what Incentives are currently available.

Good luck. :beerchug:

$50 to $150 under invoice is ballpark - it varies by vehicle. But that's not the whole story. The dealer is not allowed to add "documentation" fees or other fees. So if you compare X plan to a regular sale at $500 over invoice plus $400 doc fee you are saving around $1,000. If you can get a vehicle close to invoice then the savings will be less but remember you'll save at $500 if you include the doc fee.

Perhaps you've been hearing about X plan price versus MSRP which can inflate the perceived savings.

Ah, so $50-$150 under invoice is not that bad at all then. Guess I got my wires crossed and jumped the gun before understanding completely what was goin on.

Thanks guys/girls.

I have yet to find anything local with exactly what I'm looking for, and we are not ready to buy just yet. This purchase will be made in the late April-early May or so timeframe. Just doing some looking, and I'm not going to "settle" for whatever comes along. About the only thing I'm willing to "give" on that list above... is pwr. adj. pedals and poss. reverse sensing! Pretty stuck on the other options.

Thanks for clarifying MSRP vs. Invoice bbf2523 & akirby. I always seem to forget the differences. :banghead:

Just out of curiosity... anyone know the invoice on an F-150 equiped as stated above?

Hi Turbo77. :D If you can find something at Fordvehicles.com that is close, at least we can give you an idea. You don't have to buy it you know! :hysterical:

Otherwise, the easiest and quickest way for you to find the approximate "Factory Invoice" price of the vehicle you are looking for is to go to Edmunds.com and work up the price on their online New Vehicle pricing guide.

Then add about $300 or so to the "Invoice Price" that they show. We recently discovered that their pricing guidelines are a little low, as they do not include some charges (we believe the FDAF and one or two other small charges).

I hate to recommend them now, as I like to quote exact X-Plan prices when possible (which we can do with in-stock vehicles on Fordvehicles.com). It makes for less confusion. But at least Edmunds it will give you a pricing idea within a couple of hundred dollars or so.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Just out of curiosity... anyone know the invoice on an F-150 equiped as stated above?

The 2008 F-150 pricing is not on the Ford web site yet but you can go look at a 2007. You can go to the build and price section and "build" the exact vehicle you want right down to the color. When you get to the summary it will show the invoice price. Just multiply that by .996 then add 75.00 and you should be very close.

Once you have configured your truck you can search dealer inventory near you (or keep changing zip codes in your state and search dealer inventors not so near you). It will show you invoice prices of each "match". There was a web link around here someplace that would set a cookie in your web browser which enables you to see the x-plan price on any vehicle in dealer inventory.

Keep in mind that any rebates would be in addition to the X-Plan price. For example Ford is offering $3000 cash back on a F-350, so if the x-plan price was 45000 you would be able to get the truck for 42000. If you are buying off the lot you may want to time your purchase to take advantage of incentives.

If you were to order a vehicle you would have to wait until it arrived and then any incentives in effect at that time would be what you could use.

X-Plan seems to be the best deal available and the dealer also does better because Ford sends them a check. The trick is to not let all those great savings get eaten up by interest on the loan.

Happy hunting.