Window Tint %

Mike 07 EDGE

For those that have tinted the front windows, what percentage did you go with? I'm thinking 15% or 20% would match.

Window tint is graded by the amount of light it lets through, not the amount it blocks. 10-15% is almost limo tint, and in most states/ provinces would be illegal to install on the front window. Cops have to be able to see in as they approach the vehicle.

I'm pretty sure it applies to residents of the state only. No officer will pull you over just for tint alone anyway. There would have to be some primary reason such as speeding or broken taillight.

Just as officers don't really enforce noise ordinance rules in regards to non-stock mufflers they don't enforce window tint laws either. At least not in Florida.

Michigan does not allow window tinting on either of the two front side windows. I have been tinting mine since 1995 and have not received a ticket yet (knock on wood). The worst that can happen is you would have to peel it off and you would receive a 2-point ticket that would not affect your insurance, at least that is what would happen in Michigan.

If you want to match the factory window tint, go with 20%. That's what I did with my Explorer and you can't tell the difference between them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for someone who has actually tinted the Edge fronts. I can get 15% or 20%. You'll notice a difference between the two. Curious to what you have used. The stock rears/back look different to me in different light.

BTW, I'm in PA where you can't have anything on the front side windows by law but you CAN in fact pass the state inspection. Nice loophole they wrote in a few years back. It's not legal for a cop to pull you over just for the tint but if they get you for speeding, etc. then they could tack it on. That said, I've tinted every vehicle I've owned in the past 16 years and never had a problem. Most cops don't care unless you're a punk kid with 5% tint in a pimped out beater.

Also, 15-20% is no where near limo tint. That's more like 2-5%. Big difference. You won't see out at night with 5% let alone see in.

Also, 15-20% is no where near limo tint. That's more like 2-5%. Big difference. You won't see out at night with 5% let alone see in.

Limo tint is "officially" 5%. That's why I said 10-15% is "almost limo tint".

Also remember that the law in most places not only consider the tint that is applied, but the sum total of all the tints. Meaning that, seeing that to my recollection there isn't an Edge produced without some tint (solar glass), that this tint percentage is combined with the tint you apply; which may put you below the legal requirements of your state or province.

I'm looking for someone who has actually tinted the Edge fronts. I can get 15% or 20%. You'll notice a difference between the two. Curious to what you have used. The stock rears/back look different to me in different light.

In Florida... got it done today.... went for it and did 15% on sides and back and 5% on both fronts. Leaving the Vista roof shade open nets me a "legal" (or how everybody else has it) look.... when I close it all up it's really really dark ;o)

I had an 05 Expi for 3 yrs with 15% all around and never got stopped (knock on wood) so I went for it on this one... The ticket is $75 with no points... so I figure I'll take the chance...

BTW - guy at store said 20% would net an even match with the "privacy glass". Keep in mind there is NO UV protection in that glass... so putting anything over it would help with heat dissipation. I'll probably go back and have him put 50% on the Vista roof for me...