MKR on Lincoln's website

Watchdevil

Looks like Lincoln is prominently featuring the MKR as a "future vehicle" on it's website as if it is a committed model. Even though they still label t a concept in places, they go so far to put in a disclaimer that the appearance is subject to change which would not even be necessary if they intended it to remain a concept only. It's really confusing and possibly contradictory and misleading if they really do not intend to build the MKR.

Perhaps there is enough pride left that they will produce this car instead of looking like a bunch of idots showing concepts that never materialize and end up only producing Ford's with bow wave grilles.

Lincoln MKR

It seems featured and more committed to on the website than the MKS or Lincoln Flex which are not even mentioned as future vehicles at all. They are probably doing right by not doing a full reveal on the MKS and Lincoln Flex too soon. Look what happened to the Mustang, Thunderbird and upcoming Camaro and Challenger from having too long a lead in time which causes initial excitement to weaken by the time the models hit the showroom.

They have some fresh new pictures there. This car is the closest Ford Motor Company has come up with so far that I would like to own. With it's coupe-like styling I could live with four doors. Now for me if it was just named and styled Thunderbird it would be completely perfect.

Edited by Watchdevil

The engine looks awesome in the photos at the bottom, its shame Lincoln don't sell though Ford of Europe outlets l think they would do well with concepts like this.

The MKR teamed with the Ford Iosis styled model as a Ford branded companion would certainly be exciting... If the Thunderbird doesn't return as a coupe or roadster then twinning it with the MKR would be acceptable with me. It wouldn't be much different than the early 70's when the Tbird carried it's own mystic despite being a twin to the Mark IV. It was of course also a variation of the Mark VII in 1983, just that the Thunderbird was pulled forward as a Lincoln Mark VII concept that was restyled with Thunderbird design cues since the Thunderbird so badly needed it when sales plummeted from 1977-79 levels due to the 1980-82 FoxBoxBird... The resurgence in popularity of coupes or the sucess of the trend towards four door coupes will certainly dictate the future of the MKR and Thunderbird as more afforable domesic alternatives to luxury imports of the same bodystyle configurations. I think the timing will be ripe because I believe buyers are sick of conservative Camry-clone cars and would probably enjoy a car that makes a more exciting personal statement.

Edited by Watchdevil

That section was previously called "concept vehicles" and also included the MKS ... now - about a month before unveiling of the production MKS, they seem to be prepping the website. I would not get too excited though - The whole "mustang platform" mumbo jumbo was a lie - like all the previous Lincoln models, this was built on the LS platform - a platform, Ford will never EVER touch again.

Igor

That section was previously called "concept vehicles" and also included the MKS ... now - about a month before unveiling of the production MKS, they seem to be prepping the website. I would not get too excited though - The whole "mustang platform" mumbo jumbo was a lie - like all the previous Lincoln models, this was built on the LS platform - a platform, Ford will never EVER touch again.

Igor

The MKR concept didn't even have a real TwinForce, tt was a N/A 4.0L Mustang engine with a "twin turbo" looking cover. Could the MKR be built on the upcoming global rwd "Huntsman" platform? If so, the MKR & the Interceptor (or whatever it'll be called) could be out by 2010, couldn't they?

I also noticed that the Town Car is M.I.A. on the Lincoln web site...what a shame.

Igor

I was not thinking about the LS platform Igor, l liked the engine and wish Ford would sell Lincoln in Europe, and the concept is agood idea. BMW sell the Mini in the US, why don't Ford want to give Lincoln a helping hand here because they are the hottest brand Ford own at the moment. Is it Ford are lazy and make excuses, and BMW would never EVER let the Mini down like Ford do with Lincoln with missed sales opportunities.

Some people perceive that a new design must somehow have to be built on the platform that a concept car is shown on. If that were the case there would be no Mustang as they developed and adapted a platform varied from the LS and made it work.

It doesn't matter if the MKR concept was buit on a LS platform or a Mustang platform. The whole purpose of the concept was to show styling direction and package configuration that would point towards a livelier future for Ford. The entire design can be adapted to fit whatever RWD platform will be used on future Ford models, like the next generation Mustang and proposed "Huntsman" platfom variants... Even though Ford needed these vehicles yesterday, the time frame of 2011 or 2012 isn't that far off. I think Ford's biggest problem is that usually carakers have seemless plans in place to replace outdated products. Ford has fumbled around so much the past few years that it had no plan in place, therefore trying to salvage and make use of existing platforms while trying to figure out what to do for the future. SUV's, CUV's, Trucks and larger FWD sedans are covered. It's now time to think about niche product that attracts customers who want something special and a family of smaller Fords that are truly competitive. Ford needs to get back around to being the first choice among buyers by having product so good and so right that it stands on it's own merits and causes people to seek it out.

Some people also cannot conceive that a particular concept body design can be stretched, skewed or scaled to fit a specific platform or size.

Edited by Watchdevil