mustang domestic content getting lower

mustang_fla_guy

i noticed that on the new mustang, north american content drops down from 70%, to 65%. and ford is still importing the v6 from germany, yes i know ford is supposed to drop in the new 3.5 in the next mustang, but its things like this that really dont make any sense to an outsider like myself. im one of those guys who look under the hood of a car, to check who, and where the part is made. example, on my old 2000 mustang, the speakers were made in the usa, then, i test drove a 2004 mustang, before the big change in body style, and they were made in mex, now, on my 2007, which i love bye the way, there made in china :banghead: . does anyone work in the ford mustang plant who can fill us in as to the imported parts going into our beloved mustang, id love to know. is it getting worse, better. i know the trend in the auto world is to put in the cheapest part that you can find, from every third country out there, thats the business world today. im wondering though, if our companys who still make parts in america, were able to get starting pay lower, and the unions, and employees were will to work more with there companys, would this help in bring more domestic made parts in our cars, or would greed take over, and it wouldnt make any difference at all. im taking the greed route if i had to bet on it. mustang plant workers, lets here from you

Is the 18" polished "Euro" flanged wheel from the Cal Special package the only available 18" wheel for the 08's. For premium V8 GT? The brochure shows a painted 18", but the Ford web site won't let you click on it.

Anyone actually weighed a wheel/tire combo from the Cal special? I'm getting ready to order a 08, and like the 18" look, but suspect the 17" optional wheel to be a better choice...cheaper also.

Maybe where the tires are made. They went from Pirellis' to ? Something made in Asia. Korea? IDK. Just a guess based on something I read. The 4.0 V-6 is made in USA now isn't it? Same as the Ranger, different from the 3.8 Cologne engine. If that changed assembly/supply local it would be more the 5% difference IMHO.

Maybe where the tires are made. They went from Pirellis' to ? Something made in Asia. Korea? IDK. Just a guess based on something I read. The 4.0 V-6 is made in USA now isn't it? Same as the Ranger, different from the 3.8 Cologne engine. If that changed assembly/supply local it would be more the 5% difference IMHO.

No, the 4.0 has always been built in Cologne, Germany. It's based on the engine that first came to the US as the 2.6L V6 in the 1972 Mercury Capri. IIRC, the 3.8/4.2 are referred to as the Essex engines. The domestic content of the next gen Mustang will go up when the base Mustang gets the domestic Duratec 35.

• 2 weeks later...
No, the 4.0 has always been built in Cologne, Germany. It's based on the engine that first came to the US as the 2.6L V6 in the 1972 Mercury Capri. IIRC, the 3.8/4.2 are referred to as the Essex engines. The domestic content of the next gen Mustang will go up when the base Mustang gets the domestic Duratec 35.
OK, so what changed to get the domestic content to go down? If not the engine? And do you know what tires they install on the newer Stang? :reading: I don't seem to be able to find it. I suppose I could just drop by the Ford Dealer...