Is SLAP now Toast?

oldasdirt

Was told told this morning that this was probably the last week of prod this year for SLAP and that 30 and over packages will be sent out during December and that there will be a series of "TOWN HALL" meeting after the first of the year to explain the packages for 28-30 yr employees and also the packages for the 55+ with 10yrs.

Also production will resume at he end of Jan. to empty the system.

Anybody got any thing to add?

Was told told this morning that this was probably the last week of prod this year for SLAP and that 30 and over packages will be sent out during December and that there will be a series of "TOWN HALL" meeting after the first of the year to explain the packages for 28-30 yr employees and also the packages for the 55+ with 10yrs.

Also production will resume at he end of Jan. to empty the system.

Anybody got any thing to add?

Sorry that this is happening to you and I do and did appreciate your help with production information on my Explorer!

All the best to you oldasdirt and your co-workers.... sorry to hear this.

Sorry that this is happening to you and I do and did appreciate your help with production information on my Explorer!

All the best to you oldasdirt and your co-workers.... sorry to hear this.

I guess this would be the reason Sandusky's Explorer headlamp line is scheduled for 9 weeks of layoff after the 1st of Jan. I have nothing to add, but thank you for the info you posted.

Its very sad to see.But we new this was coming for a few years now.

Well we took a bullet in the gut back when they brought the Explorer to SLAP

When the Aerostar left that is when we became a "B" plant and began our death throws

Then when Clinton signed the NAFTA agreement it was like somebody had twisted a knife in our guts.

Yep this has been a looooonnnng and painful death for SLAP,but the suffering will soon come to an end .

No I aint too worried for myself as I can either sit it out in GEN or take a package-either way I was planning on GTFO at the end of the contract in '07

Those of you that have 15 yrs or less seniority are the ones that are rat fucked and I truely feel for you.

Yer wrong!!!!

SLAP is "BURNT TOAST" and is gettin throwed in the garbage

All the local news stations here are chasing each other like lawyers and ambulances tryin to be the first with the "OFFICIAL" report

Oh now THAT has to just make your days even better as they hunt you down for comments outside your gates.

Oh now THAT has to just make your days even better as they hunt you down for comments outside your gates.

Yeah, you're walking out of the plant after being told you are being laid off and some dumbass reporter sticks a microphone in your face and asks you how do you feel about being laid off. I think I would have to lay the guy out right there.

Yeah, you're walking out of the plant after being told you are being laid off and some dumbass reporter sticks a microphone in your face and asks you how do you feel about being laid off. I think I would have to lay the guy out right there.

LOL! Me too! It would be an interview that would be a solid BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP all the way thru too!

old as dirt dont know where you get your information but I was told somthing completely different last week by our leadership. they said that there is no down time between now and christmas. they have indeed requested packages from the international and are certian that they will get approval but national ford said that the earliest they could get down to dicuss any types of packages would be in feburary the current schedule is we will work only 8 weeks out of the first 26 weeks of the year if sales can stableize but could see more if they dont

I heard from a relative thats Union Ironworker that Ford HQ starting taking closed bids for the demolition of the SLAP plant over two weeks ago. He was told they are going to demolish the plant down to nothing; and then Ford is selling the vacant lot. I heard it is around 77 to 80 acres not far from the STL Airport.

Planes are getting bigger, not smaller. That requires more fuel storage, longer runways, bigger terminals, etc. Most airports do not have vacant land around them to expand on. Now, what would create less controversy. Closing an older, underutilized assembly plant for airport expansions, or using eminent domain and throwing people out of their houses? For that reason, land around airports is becoming very expensive.

SLAP dont have that problem

We are off the flight paths and any future flight paths,the current expansion taking place is waaayyy off the other side of the the airport.Plus the airport is steadily losing flights since American bought out TWA,They have less than half the flights in and out now and are constantly losing more.

Also Boeing would have to be demolished in order to get to SLAPand I dont think the government will let them shut down their major fighter production facility.

So I dont see the airport as a problem for SLAP,only an asset.

SLAP has the problem of not having a major invesment by FOMOCO to upgrade the place

Yes they do have the property since they own/lease the old National food warehouse complex .They could level those and build a complete new facility while still running production at the plant as it is now.

Edited by oldasdirt

SLAP dont have that problem

We are off the flight paths and any future flight paths,the current expansion taking place is waaayyy off the other side of the the airport.Plus the airport is steadily losing flights since American bought out TWA,They have less than half the flights in and out now and are constantly losing more.

Also Boeing would have to be demolished in order to get to SLAPand I dont think the government will let them shut down their major fighter production facility.

So I dont see the airport as a problem for SLAP,only an asset.

SLAP has the problem of not having a major invesment by FOMOCO to upgrade the place

Yes they do have the property since they own/lease the old National food warehouse complex .They could level those and build a complete new facility while still running production at the plant as it is now.

dirt hit the nail on the head, slap made lots of money for ford and has paid the price, all the talent has left or will retire when the doors are closed. what is left are a few fighting for their lives,and the war is over.Just waiting for Gen.Bill to mothball the ole missouri girl. I can only hope that oneday ford is on better financial ground and needs a good place o build quality vehicles, cause we sure build that.

dirt hit the nail on the head, slap made lots of money for ford and has paid the price, all the talent has left or will retire when the doors are closed. what is left are a few fighting for their lives,and the war is over.Just waiting for Gen.Bill to mothball the ole missouri girl. I can only hope that oneday ford is on better financial ground and needs a good place o build quality vehicles, cause we sure build that.

SLAP is a victim of overcapacity and Ford Motor Company steadily decreasing marketshare.I feel bad for all my union brothers and sisters that are facing losing their jobs.These are truly uneasy times for all of us.To bad SLAP couldn't have gotten the Fusion and it's sister vehicles.I realize Ford has a lot riding on these vehicles,and they are really nice cars,but I just can't get too excited about them because they're built in Mexico.Just isn't right!I will NOT buy one!Good luck to all,we need it.

SLAP is a victim of overcapacity and Ford Motor Company steadily decreasing marketshare.I feel bad for all my union brothers and sisters that are facing losing their jobs.These are truly uneasy times for all of us.To bad SLAP couldn't have gotten the Fusion and it's sister vehicles.I realize Ford has a lot riding on these vehicles,and they are really nice cars,but I just can't get too excited about them because they're built in Mexico.Just isn't right!I will NOT buy one!Good luck to all,we need it.

hate to be a rumor mill but heard today that slap is done in mar. will work till X-mas, then off till 23 jan.06. work a week then? Merry-chrismas too All union brothers and sisters.