I have two questions about my favorite car, which I hope one you you guys may be able to answer:

1. Will there be a "refresh" for the 2009 Grand Marquis, and/or any changes at all?

2. CarsDirect is showing that for GMs ordered after November 15, 2007, they come with 17" wheels rather than 16", with the same tire size as the Town Car. Is that right? One of the things I like better about the GM is the smaller wheel/tire setup, which improves the handling.

Thanks for any knowledge you may have. Keep up the good work at STAP! :happy feet:

I have two questions about my favorite car, which I hope one you you guys may be able to answer:

1. Will there be a "refresh" for the 2009 Grand Marquis, and/or any changes at all?

2. CarsDirect is showing that for GMs ordered after November 15, 2007, they come with 17" wheels rather than 16", with the same tire size as the Town Car. Is that right? One of the things I like better about the GM is the smaller wheel/tire setup, which improves the handling.

Thanks for any knowledge you may have. Keep up the good work at STAP! :happy feet:

1.The GM will not have a Major Refresh but maybe new lights, colors, wheels if were lucky.

2. i cannot answer number 2.

Ford Motor says Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria will phase out in 2010-2012 timeframe, thus finally retiring their vintage-1979 basic design. However, sources say the company is spending some $200 million for '09-model chassis upgrades and cosmetic tweaks--which seems odd for death-row models at a company so strapped for cash.

But Ford knows its recovery depends on coming up with hit products, so it's not skimping on replacement models. Among these, sources say, are new large rear-drive sedans based on either a modified Mustang platform or an architecture sourced from Ford Australia. The latter seems to have the inside track as more cost-effective, but whatever emerges would be built in North America, not Down Under. Timing is unclear, but we'd look for a model-year 2010 debut. :reading:

All Merc GMs come with 17" wheels and tires now. Something to do with space use in plant for stock.

Confimed from guy who works in tire room.

All Merc GMs come with 17" wheels and tires now. Something to do with space use in plant for stock.

Confimed from guy who works in tire room.

This interests me, I just looked on the Mercury Website and it still shows that all Grand Marquis wheels are 16". Did they change the wheel design when going to 17" wheels. If they did change the wheels does anyone know what they look like?

This interests me, I just looked on the Mercury Website and it still shows that all Grand Marquis wheels are 16". Did they change the wheel design when going to 17" wheels. If they did change the wheels does anyone know what they look like?

Much like the Panthers....the website is the last thing to get updated regarding Panthers....or so it seems.

Unless it's getting removed from retail sales and mandated to fleet sales...then they update that pretty quick. :finger:

As stated by the denizens from STAP, this is a rationalization of parts. Which makes very good sense. I've been beating that drum for a while now on engines , trannies, wheels, brakes, electrical, dash components, etc across all cars and trucks where possible.

As for the handling issue, 17 inch wheels raise the GM by .5" assuming no other changes. I don't imagine reducing ride height by an average .5" is all that tough to do. On a GM or TC, the back end is already on air. And up front is no sweat either.

However, sources say the company is spending some $200 million for '09-model chassis upgrades and cosmetic tweaks--which seems odd for death-row models at a company so strapped for cash.

A few points;

Word among the green shades is that one ( or all ) Detroit companies will be bankrupt by June 2008. If "all Detroit", then I imagine the "panthers" will be toast. Satisfied?

Assuming Ford is still in business in 2009, then investing in the "panthers" is a no brainer. Pick the one line that makes a profit the longest and stick with it... sound like STAP???

A "new" RWD platform, from the Mustang/Aussie lines is fine, but the last line that was "going to replace the panthers" was D3... better known as Dud #3... I suggest this is just a NEW Additional RWD platform... nothing more. Priced right it could be a winner.

Right now the only major changes the "panther mafia" have on their wish list are restyling ( inside and out ) and upgrade the rear frame for IRS. THATS IT! We're looking for more hi-tech hi-touch solutions inside and out... not steamboat gauges. :rolleyes: "

The "panther mafia" also thinks Ford could reduce production costs by doing a front to back re-engineering excercise on the "panthers" ( same or larger dimensions on all specs and still BOF ) to reduce the klugyness that develops after a production run this long. The results could be directly transferred to all RWD car and Truck platforms fairly easily ( as one member observes... the part nos. ona "panther" already matches many on the E-series Vans... so I ask why not ALL cars and trucks? ).

We also think a DOHC4.6 and 6R autotranny ( reputed 6R80 from Livonia ? ) should be made standard on the "panthers" and all RWD car and truck platforms whereever possible ... another huge reduction in inventory overhead!

And $200M is nothing against the $Billions Ford pulls from that line.

Edited by SysEng

Ford Motor says Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria will phase out in 2010-2012 timeframe, thus finally retiring their vintage-1979 basic design. However, sources say the company is spending some $200 million for '09-model chassis upgrades and cosmetic tweaks--which seems odd for death-row models at a company so strapped for cash.

But Ford knows its recovery depends on coming up with hit products, so it's not skimping on replacement models. Among these, sources say, are new large rear-drive sedans based on either a modified Mustang platform or an architecture sourced from Ford Australia. The latter seems to have the inside track as more cost-effective, but whatever emerges would be built in North America, not Down Under. Timing is unclear, but we'd look for a model-year 2010 debut. :reading:

Hey cleveland, if your going to cut and paste from the Consumer Guide website, at least give them credit, eh?