2010 Mustang

OHV 16V

1st-off: Hello all... I have been an actual member since 1/07, but have been an avid reader of these forums for a few years. I just am not one to post much.

That being said...

I've been researching the great info posted on here by people in the know, and one thing I haven't found (and if I just missed it forgive me...) is whether or not there will be a "traditional" Mustang when the model gets its revision for 2010.

That is, will there be a Mustang in the current GT's price range, with a naturally-aspirated V8 and a 5 or 6-speed(PLEASE!) manual?

My friends and I have driven Mustangs since we were 16 or 17, and that's the type that we have always had. Call us purists, old-skool, or whatever, but that's the car the attracts us. No superchargers or turbos, just a great V8 mixed with RWD and a manual trans. While we generally admire the technological achievement of Ecoboost, it just doesn't appeal to us.

Not hearing a V8's noises out back would kill me. If the only way to get 8-cylinders is to get the next-gen Shelby, which none of my friends could nor would pay for, then that's sad indeed.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any info that can be provided, as it'll help a couple of us in deciding if we'll be adding the new pony to the stable.

Thank You for your time....

While I'm thinking about it, before anyone thinks this is some 50 or 60 yr.-old guy acting twice his age, I'm 30. And my crew ranges in age from 24 to 32.

I say "acting twice his age" cause my dad (and many I've met like him) are still pretty cool at 50 or 60, able to summon up the immaturity should the occasion call for it... :P

While I'm thinking about it, before anyone thinks this is some 50 or 60 yr.-old guy acting twice his age, I'm 30. And my crew ranges in age from 24 to 32.

I say "acting twice his age" cause my dad (and many I've met like him) are still pretty cool at 50 or 60, able to summon up the immaturity should the occasion call for it... :P

I understand what you're saying as my dad is 60 with a 5.0 Explorer and wouldn't think of owning a 4 or 6 cyl.. But I've been warning him that times-are-a-changing...with gas prices remaining so high and new fuel standards coming, we may have to adjust our way of thinking.

I can't imagine a Mustang w/o or V8, as certain cars may be untouchable right now like the Vette, Camaro, etc.. However, we may become like other countries and just have to pay a premium if we want the big engine. I doubt if I'd be able to afford it either so that leaves me and my family out as well (there has been a pony in our stable since 1986).

Lastly, more generations are coming up not knowing the musclecar era, so their buying decisions will be different. My first few cars were big V8s, but my son doesn't want one because of size and fuel economy. He has a '97 Hyundai Tiburon!

Overall I think the next-gen Mustang will still have the elements to make purists happy like the supposed Boss engine that everyone is still waiting for, but it'll probably be the pivotal generation Stang that may get the soil ready for 4cyl/6cyl. turbo only variants (I would've drank more of the kool-aid if they would've left the name TwinForce) after it leaves. In the 80's none of us wanted a SVO...it may soon be time to rekindle an old flame! :ohsnap:

When the 2010 model comes out in 09, I'm sure there will be a manual trans V8 for you. Wouldn't worry about it.

Oh my friends and I certainly believe there will be an 8-cylinder in the mix for sure, we're just hoping that the only way to obtain it won't be to have to...uh..."pony up" for the Shelby.

I was hoping to hear from Blue II, as he definitely knows his stuff. I figure if it does indeed exist, he's probably had his hands on it at some point. Perhaps even Igor may know something.(?)

Edited by OHV 16V

I hope you're right brother, I really do...

Preferably a version of the Boss engine (5.8-liter?). But I won't get too picky, as I'd be grateful to even get a V8 at all.

As for the 6-speed, I'd hope they would finally get this one done, as it's long overdue. I realize it adds to manufacturing costs, but it would help out in the fuel economy department as well, something I'd think would be a good compromise on their part.

Edited by OHV 16V

Hay, I am 50+, and have owned either a Mustang or Firebird (sorry for using the "F" word here) since I was 16. I have no intention to stop that at any point in my life. Until...

:rip:

Hay, I am 50+, and have owned either a Mustang or Firebird (sorry for using the "F" word here) since I was 16. I have no intention to stop that at any point in my life. Until...

:rip:

I hear ya man, that's why I included the last part to my statement. :beerchug:

There will be an available V8, as well as a manual transmission, without a doubt.

The Mustang situation should be getting very interesting in the next 10 years. Some key points:

-Smaller size, lighter weight. Ultimately, the smaller and lighter a sports car is, the better, and this is very beneficial for fuel economy. Backseat comfort might be compromised somewhat, but I trust Ford to be creative.

-Downsized engines. While the standard V6/V8 pair will be the initial engines for the Mustang, I expect the EcoBoost/TwinForce line to work its way in, in I4, V6, and V8 trim.

-AWD. While unneccesary, the next RWD platform for the Mustang will be capable of AWD, so it would not surprise me to see a special edition with AWD or at least it being available as an option.

-IRS. I don't see a solid rear axle staying on past 2012.

While certainly unconventional, I would jump at the opportunity to buy a 425hp AWD Mustang.

There will be an available V8, as well as a manual transmission, without a doubt.

The Mustang situation should be getting very interesting in the next 10 years. Some key points:

-Smaller size, lighter weight. Ultimately, the smaller and lighter a sports car is, the better, and this is very beneficial for fuel economy. Backseat comfort might be compromised somewhat, but I trust Ford to be creative.

-Downsized engines. While the standard V6/V8 pair will be the initial engines for the Mustang, I expect the EcoBoost/TwinForce line to work its way in, in I4, V6, and V8 trim.

-AWD. While unneccesary, the next RWD platform for the Mustang will be capable of AWD, so it would not surprise me to see a special edition with AWD or at least it being available as an option.

-IRS. I don't see a solid rear axle staying on past 2012.

While certainly unconventional, I would jump at the opportunity to buy a 425hp AWD Mustang.

425 hp sounds good but they can keep the AWD, I like my big smokie burnouts

425 hp sounds good but they can keep the AWD, I like my big smokie burnouts

I agree. AWD would be OK for those that would like it, but as wescoent said, offer it as an option only. 425 hp? Hmm.... Isn't that the rating that the 6.2-liter BOSS was putting out in testing? A naturally-aspirated 6.2L SOHC V8 with a stick sounds simply awesome...(Wishful thinking only, I know...I know...damn fuel regulations...)

Edited by OHV 16V

I agree. AWD would be OK for those that would like it, but as wescoent said, offer it as an option only. 425 hp? Hmm.... Isn't that the rating that the 6.2-liter BOSS was putting out in testing? A naturally-aspirated 6.2L SOHC V8 with a stick sounds simply awesome...(Wishful thinking only, I know...I know...damn fuel regulations...)

The 425hp rating is for the V6 Turbo, and for the moment, I wouldn't hold my breath on the 6.2 in the Mustang. 400hp 5.0L sound ok?

Well the biggest threat to the mustangs horsepower rating and existance for that matter, is the price of gas, with experts predicting the price of gas to be at or near 4$ a gallon by this summer the cars that we all love so much could be in danger.

Whats next, another mustang 2, a ford probe style mustang, ford needs come up with something to help the mustangs fuel consumption. Cylinder deactivation, Lighten the weight of it maybe but something needs to be done.

Maybe they will switch to E85 it does have an octane rating of about 112 (i think), I read an article in muscle mustang, they converted an 03 cobra and made a big power gain on it.

Edited by blueovalfan

Four things i want for the 2010 mustang

1. at least 350 hp, i would love to see 385 like in the 2000 cobra R

2. Six speed and 3.73 rear gears

3 diverse amount of performance options, like rear gear ratios, indepent rear suspension and etc

4. The base price to stay the same on the gt if at all possible

Well, if it shows up with the independent rear suspension then it probably wont be any lighter, and i dont see the msrp staying the same with the new motor in there either wich is a shame.

I love mustangs and i do plan on buying a brand new one in 2010, but i would hate to pay 35,000 for a coupe