New Ford Ka

156n3rd

After several trips to Scotland in the past (my wife's family lives there), I recall seeing the Ka on the road and thought it was kinda cool. It is defintiely suited to those in need of basic fuel efficient transportation. I have read in UK mags that they are very reliable and fun to drive. I'd like to see the new one, made with Fiat, come over here. Sooner or later, all the car makes that sell here will have to make small ones available because of the world wide demand for fossil fuels. We are competing for it. Many don't want new exploration and many want corn gas for all. I don't have an answer for those concerns because it all has to do with government control and the greedy profit of oil companies. The Ka would just be another weapon against wasteful fuel consumption.

The Ka is already sold in Mexico. Why not here, we do not know... :shrug:

SERIOUSLY?

People outside the coasts are just barely warming up to stuffing their family to a Focus and maybe driving an Aveo when they are single ... Ka is yet ANOTHER class smaller - a size absent in US save for the Smart.

this is way too small for the US market - the US consumer still has "bigger is better" mentality, and is moving away from that mantra just very very slowly.

on the other reason - Mexico has very lax safety and emissions regulation -EU models can usually be imported without any modification at all ... US's regulations are different, and more stirct requiring specific modifications.

finally - I believe Mexico will begin selling the Brazilian Ka - which will continue to use the old Ka chassis - because Europe will move to the new Ka built on the Fiat 500 chassis - a more sophisticated (And expensive) car.

Igor

Edited by igor

SERIOUSLY?

People outside the coasts are just barely warming up to stuffing their family to a Focus and maybe driving an Aveo when they are single ... Ka is yet ANOTHER class smaller - a size absent in US save for the Smart.

this is way too small for the US market - the US consumer still has "bigger is better" mentality, and is moving away from that mantra just very very slowly.

on the other reason - Mexico has very lax safety and emissions regulation -EU models can usually be imported without any modification at all ... US's regulations are different, and more stirct requiring specific modifications.

finally - I believe Mexico will begin selling the Brazilian Ka - which will continue to use the old Ka chassis - because Europe will move to the new Ka built on the Fiat 500 chassis - a more sophisticated (And expensive) car.

Igor

All I can say is, Smart cars have been buzzing around here for a few years and with $4.00 gal. gas here, I don't think there would be a problem. The percentage of smaller cars up here is higher. Test it here.

All I can say is, Smart cars have been buzzing around here for a few years and with $4.00 gal. gas here, I don't think there would be a problem. The percentage of smaller cars up here is higher. Test it here.

where do you live? and in US the Smart is rated at lower mileage than the Fit or Yaris, costs more, and seats only 2 (instead of 5) ... besides some people with a half-garage, or image-conscious socialites liking the attention - the Smart will fail miserably - and not necessarily because US is not ready for an A-car - but because Smart is an overpriced piece of junk. Once the novelty wears off, see them tank, or go straight to fleet.

Igor

where do you live? and in US the Smart is rated at lower mileage than the Fit or Yaris, costs more, and seats only 2 (instead of 5) ... besides some people with a half-garage, or image-conscious socialites liking the attention - the Smart will fail miserably - and not necessarily because US is not ready for an A-car - but because Smart is an overpriced piece of junk. Once the novelty wears off, see them tank, or go straight to fleet.

Igor

Here in the great white north! Lol! And actually, there are quite a few of those Smart cars here. A lot of business' purchase them for small delivery vehicles, i.e. pharmacies. You can find them in the upper class neighborhoods. Remember, they get sold next to the Mercedes Benz dealers. Personally, I wouldn't call them a piece of junk, they actually do very well in crash tests considering size and that they are rear engine. Believe it or not, they are good in the snow, kinda like the old Beetle. What I am saying is if the Smart can sell here, why not the Ka?

This is what I ask as well. Why not? The Ka is not too small for this market. How many people need to drive pu-trucks and large suv's every day? I am not saying they shouldn't, but with the cost of fuel it may be smart to have a gas saving alternative. If you could get a copy of What Car? magazine from the U.K., you'd see what they drive over there. Such as the diesel powered Focus which gets 67.5 mpg. That's not that tiny a car. Modern ergonomics have given small designs more space for people and cargo. My point is the not everyone needs a big car all the time. Drivers in America will indeed want choices. In many other parts of our world, exist many more fuel efficient models not even offered here. U.S. manufacturers still have problems making small, high quality cars. The cars from France, Italy, Spain and elsewhere, some of which were available here in the past, are much better now. They have many many choices over there. Not so here. We don't even get a taste of what's offered by very capable car builders. too bad. Additionally, here (70 miles north of Philly), I have yet to see more than one SMART. But, I see many Fits, Aveos and other small cars. People are already making the change.

Edited by 156n3rd

Review of Ka from What Car? seems tepid.

Ka Review by What Car?

While the Ka looks interesting, the reader reviewers aren't that enthusiastic. The Verve seems like a better bet to compete with the Fits, Yaris, etc.

This is what I ask as well. Why not? The Ka is not too small for this market. How many people need to drive pu-trucks and large suv's every day? I am not saying they shouldn't, but with the cost of fuel it may be smart to have a gas saving alternative. If you could get a copy of What Car? magazine from the U.K., you'd see what they drive over there. Such as the diesel powered Focus which gets 67.5 mpg. That's not that tiny a car. Modern ergonomics have given small designs more space for people and cargo. My point is the not everyone needs a big car all the time. Drivers in America will indeed want choices. In many other parts of our world, exist many more fuel efficient models not even offered here. U.S. manufacturers still have problems making small, high quality cars. The cars from France, Italy, Spain and elsewhere, some of which were available here in the past, are much better now. They have many many choices over there. Not so here. We don't even get a taste of what's offered by very capable car builders. too bad. Additionally, here (70 miles north of Philly), I have yet to see more than one SMART. But, I see many Fits, Aveos and other small cars. People are already making the change.

Review of Ka from What Car? seems tepid.

Ka Review by What Car?

While the Ka looks interesting, the reader reviewers aren't that enthusiastic. The Verve seems like a better bet to compete with the Fits, Yaris, etc.

That's the old KA that's been around for a loooong time. It's a cult car in Europe. Expect the new one to be more modern and competitive, yet retain it's quirky fun style.

That's the old KA that's been around for a loooong time. It's a cult car in Europe. Expect the new one to be more modern and competitive, yet retain it's quirky fun style.

So then, why can't they import the new Ka? I would rather drive an imported Ford from Europe than something from a competitor from the Orient.

• 2 weeks later...

Compared with the old dyas, Fiat has become a respected builder of cars. They were so good that GM wanted to join them, until a financial scandal was discovered. It doesn't take away from what they build now. The new 500 is highly touted in Europe and Fiat is pondering testing this market with them.