Ford already thinking about more aerodynamic F-150

P71_CrownVic

No offense taken rmc523. The looks of it do take some getting used to. It is more functional than aesthetic. I think Captainp4 is talking about the conventional camper shell with the hatch in the back. This large area of the hatch plus the tailgate ending abruptly at the rear of the truck creates poor aerodynamics. Driving with a conventional camper shell or cap on your pickup is worse for fuel efficiency than driving around with nothing covering the bed of the truck at all.

The aerodynamic truck cap I have developed targets those who like camper shells to camp in or haul cargo. The aerodynamic cap allows them the utilitarian aspects of the camper shell while providing superior aerodynamics, while driven in the fast back position. The aerodynamic cap is an aftermarket product which will increase the fuel efficiency of any pickup truck.

I worked as a clay modeler in the Ford California studio in Valencia back in the 1980's. I learned the old ways of clay modeling before the age of the 5-axis mill. We did the 1992 Econoline Van back in 1986, 22 years ago. That body is still produced for 2008 with the exception of the new grille work.

My resolve to get the aero cap to market is bolstered by knowing our country has to reduce the reliance we have on foriegn oil supplies. The survival of Ford Motor Company is also crucial to our country. I have an old postcard with a picture of a B-24 bomber on one side and the Ford logo on the other side. We have to stop losing manufacturing jobs in this country or , I feel, our national security will be compromised. By building these aerodynamic caps, which reduce fuel consumption and create manufacturing jobs in the process, I hope I am contributing to the cause.

So you make these, then?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yessir,

First test market will be this Spring. I need some sales figures to plan on. If all goes well, we will be doing the clay for the new 2009 F-150 this summer and have it available when the 2009 model goes on sale this fall.

Well, it looks like you do good work.

Ford used to offer CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) and Propane (LPG) "dual fuel" F-150s from the factory basically for fleet vehicles, but I think they are no longer an option. Propane has higher BTUs than gasoline, but those using it are pretty much limited to getting it at the same places where they refill their barbeque gas cylinders, and those places charge more than gasoline, even without road tax. I'd be interested in how a "big diesel 4X4 SUV" could be converted to run on LPG--they can use Propane as a power enhancer, but how do you substitute Propane for high pressure oil; and if so, at what cost?

My buddy just bought a Ford-produced CNG Contour with 8K miles on it from a dealer in Oklahoma. I think they are still offered there. The CNG refueling station is a couple miles from his house. Neat for him, since it's apparently a buck a gallon-equivalent. CNG makes a heck of a lot more sense than ethanol, imho.