Will Focus Vert Ever Come To The US

needspeed

Seems that Ford makes nicer cars for Europe than the US. Will we get a new performance Focus as well as the Convertable. My wife is dying for this car otherwise we are going for the new VW Hardtop Vert Next year.......Steve

Edited by needspeed

Order the VW. Ford has no intention of selling fun cars in the U.S. They are reserved for Europe and Australia. :boring:

I love your response, but find it so sad that Ford just does not get it why they are suffering so. They have some great cars to offer and yet they think Americans want the boring crap they currently offer......Steve

I love your response, but find it so sad that Ford just does not get it why they are suffering so. They have some great cars to offer and yet they think Americans want the boring crap they currently offer......Steve

Why doesn't Ford bring it over? Because they are smart. People wouldn't be willing to pay what it would cost for a Focus state-side. If you really want one, it's available in a much better looking Volvo version.

:rolleyes:

You won't be able to get the Volvo for under $40 grand... While the VW will be under $30 grand... And the Focus would be about the same as a Mustang V6. That's a huge difference. That's like telling someone in the market for the Miata that the Boxter is a nice car. Sure its a nice car, but the price differnce is tremendous.

Edited by Kris Kolman

Why doesn't Ford bring it over? Because they are smart. People wouldn't be willing to pay what it would cost for a Focus state-side. If you really want one, it's available in a much better looking Volvo version.

You got that right. SVT Focuses sat on dealer lots, while the 'enthusiasts' bought used Focuses to mod themselves. Then, they cry when it got canned.

Ford US has the Mustang conv already. A Focus one would not sell, exepct maybe to Biker16. Others expect Ford to 'import' their German and AUS cars, but they would not want to pay for them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Wow, wake up Ford US... My mom is on her 3rd Sebring Convertible and is about to get a G6 Convertible... She loves the Ford Dealership I go to and would totally consider getting a Focus Convertible if the Lease was right.

Bill

the problem is.. all those are midsize sedans/convertibles...

Focus is a compact, and the success (or lack of thereof) of the NewBettle Covertible and the Golf Cabrio (they sell barely couple thousand a year in the US) shows that for a convertible to be successful in the us it needs to be at least the size of a midsize sedan/coupe, or RWD

Let me just run you down the mainstream offerings of convertibles under $30k

Mustang, Miata, Solstice/Sky - all RWD

G6, Solara, Sebring (likely) - all misdize

New beetle Conv, Golf Cabrio - VW

VW is the only one keeping the Compact conv. segment alive, and they do it just out of nostalgia, to please some hard core fans.... and even then,. the next Golf Cabrio - the Eos, will start close to 30k, grow in size, and be offered with V6 engine - moving it squarely to the US midsize offerings..

PS: besides, with the Euro Focus being a completely different architecture from US Focus at this point (and until 2009) there is no way to offer that car next to the Focus.

Igor

Edited by igor

The only was I can see a C1 based 'vert being offered, is if it is badged a Mercury. ;)

not an impossibility ...

but first we need to see where the new management wants to take Mercury - I would love it to become the Ford OE outlet in the US ... I think that would be awesom, but well.. I am not in charge.. Fields et al are.

Igor