MKX side dim. mirror into Edge

AV99GT

I took a quick look at the wiring diagrams. Here's what you'll need to find out before you try this:

First, the exterior dimming feature is tied to the interior auto-dimming mirror. If you don't have the interior factory auto-dimming mirror and the 7-pin connector, you would need to need to get one of those and run wiring to the exterior mirror. If you already have the interior factory auto-dimming mirror, take a look at the 7-pin connector plugged into it. It must have a BLUE WITH GRAY STRIPE wire and a BROWN wire. Those two wires control the dimming feature to the exterior mirror.

Second, the driver-side exterior mirror connector is the same 16-pin connector for all Edges and MKXs, but the wiring diagrams don't mention which wires may or may not be present, so you'll need to find out if you have the same BLUE WITH GRAY STRIPE and BROWN wires on that 16-pin connector. Luckily, you can find this connector easily by removing only the small sail panel behind the mirror inside the door. The sail panel should just pop off, and the mirror connector will be directly in front of you.

If both connectors have a BLUE WITH GRAY STRIPE wire and a BROWN wire, check for continuity between them.

To summarize all of this: if you have a factory auto-dimming interior mirror, and you have a BLUE WITH GRAY STRIPE wire and a BROWN wire on both the interior and driver-side exterior mirror connectors, and there's continuity between those wires on each connector, a factory heated, auto-dimming exterior driver mirror from an Edge or MKX should just plug 'n play.

Let me know what you find!

PS...thanks, Sully!

Edited by jpark

I took a quick look at the wiring diagrams. Here's what you'll need to find out before you try this:

First, the exterior dimming feature is tied to the interior auto-dimming mirror. If you don't have the interior factory auto-dimming mirror and the 7-pin connector, you would need to need to get one of those and run wiring to the exterior mirror. If you already have the interior factory auto-dimming mirror, take a look at the 7-pin connector plugged into it. It must have a BLUE WITH GRAY STRIPE wire and a BROWN wire. Those two wires control the dimming feature to the exterior mirror.

Second, the driver-side exterior mirror connector is the same 16-pin connector for all Edges and MKXs, but the wiring diagrams don't mention which wires may or may not be present, so you'll need to find out if you have the same BLUE WITH GRAY STRIPE and BROWN wires on that 16-pin connector. Luckily, you can find this connector easily by removing only the small sail panel behind the mirror inside the door. The sail panel should just pop off, and the mirror connector will be directly in front of you.

If both connectors have a BLUE WITH GRAY STRIPE wire and a BROWN wire, check for continuity between them.

To summarize all of this: if you have a factory auto-dimming interior mirror, and you have a BLUE WITH GRAY STRIPE wire and a BROWN wire on both the interior and driver-side exterior mirror connectors, and there's continuity between those wires on each connector, a factory heated, auto-dimming exterior driver mirror from an Edge or MKX should just plug 'n play.

Let me know what you find!

PS...thanks, Sully!

Thanks for the info, I really like the MKX but the New Edge Sport has me torn!! Interesting to know that it is tied into the interior mirror dimmer, I wonder how it reacts to certain conditions, like when on the highway and a car to your left is passing you, hopefully the interior mirror sensor picks it up and still dims the exterior one! I have always wondered where they put the little sensor for the side dimming, now I know.