New Engines?

mrbowler92

Why is this diesel that Ford has coming for the F-150 making a lot on here wanting one? With the price of diesel fuel hitting the $4.00 a gallon and more as each day goes by, what's the reason for having a diesel, other than smelling the diesel fumes.. :wacko:
American consumers don't regulate the American auto market. The EPA does. Regardless of actual benefit (or loss) in efficiency per dollar spent, our country is run by greedy politicians which like to use our environmental problems as an excuse to get themselves elected. Our government has decided that false scientific methods and exageration are more important than our financial security. Just as conservatives are quick to justify the iraq war, regardless of research, liberals are equally quick to justify strict CAFE standards... REGARDLESS OF RESEARCH. 'nuff said- :censored:

• 3 weeks later...

The higher fuel goes... The more people that switch to econo-boxes. That makes me just that much safer in my 6,000 pound gas guzzler.

That's right... I'm gonna burn as much fuel, consume as many resources and create as many green house gases as I can... and after that... I'm gonna eat me a nice, thick, juicy, spotted owl burger.

Why is this diesel that Ford has coming for the F-150 making a lot on here wanting one? With the price of diesel fuel hitting the $4.00 a gallon and more as each day goes by, what's the reason for having a diesel, other than smelling the diesel fumes.. :wacko:

The recently leaked data about the 4.4L diesel compared it against a 5.4L 3V, which is not a fair comparison, but that is the largest engine currently available in a F150. IIRC, the 4.4L got about 30% better hp and torque on about 20% better fuel economy.

So if diesel costs about 20% more in your area, your fuel cost should be about equal, but you will have more power.

The more interesting comparison should be done on a F250 with a 6.8L V10 ! The 4.4L diesel should have similar hp and torque and probably 30+% better fuel economy !

Obviously you haven't driven a "modern" diesel. Virtually no smell.

Edited by theoldwizard

New engines? there are plenty coming and with the new CAFE they are more likely than ever to make it to US.

EcoBoost

Three cylinder:

1.0l FlexFuel EB - 100hp (Fiesta)

four cylinder

1.4l EB - 160hp (Focus)

1.6l EB - 200hp (focus, Fusion, Escape)

2.0l EB - 260hp (Fusion, Taurus, Explorer, Edge, Flex, Escape)

2.5l EB - 270hp (this might be a short lived EB engines until they get the 2.0l ready - Fusion, Escape, Edge)

six cylinder

3.5l EB (FWD) - 350 hp (Taurus, Flex, Explorer)

3.5l EB (RWD) - 415hp (F150, Mustang, Expedition)

eight cylinder

5.0l EB (Mustang)

6.2l EB (F-series)

Hybrids

2.5l Hybrid - Fusion, Escape, possibly TC

3.5l Hybrid (Taurus, Edge, Flex, Explorer)

smaller hybrid possible (Focus, possibly TC)

larger Hybrid unlikely

Plug-In Hybrid

Ford is working on a dedicated Plug-in hybrid vehicle - named Extend - expect C2 platform, tiny gas engine (possibly 1.4l) and lots and lots of technology. It will still be a parallel hybrid, not series hybrid like the Volt.

Diesels

4.4l V8 (F150, Expedition, Navigator, SuperDuty)

6.7l V8 (Super Duty)

smaller diesels become more and more likely with CAFE increasing. it all depends on the consumer moods. When will the increase of car sales plateau? It is growing now, but it will NOT replace all SUV and Crossover sales - so once we start seeing signs of stabilization, we will begin seeing a clearer picture of what needs to be done to meet the CAFe. We will also see what are the new demands.. Right now peoples demand for better FE is confounded by their lack of money - they might be TEMPORARILY altering their buying habits because of the recession - we need to be expecting a slight Truck/SUV/Crossover rebound once economy stabilizes. We will also need to go back and analyze how much of the FE demand is actually driven by FE concerns and how much was simply temporary economical consideration.

Igor

Edited by igor

six cylinder

3.5l EB (FWD) - 350 hp (Taurus, Flex, Explorer)

3.5l EB (RWD) - 415 hp (F150, Mustang, Expedition)

What???? Are those serious figures, Igor, or just guesses? I'm all for getting more hp out of a V6 with eb, but I would hope that they engineers would focus more on getting the best mpg rather than pushing the hp envelope.