Baby Got Blecch

Moby Vic

Is this still a good idea for GM to bring this out now?

Like in 1980, when the last major gas crisis hit, the automakers were unprepared for it then. You reach a point in the development of a vehicle, when you have to go forward with it no matter what. It won't return the monies you were counting on, but it's better than just stopping and hauling the dies to the dumpster. What would you guess the development costs to be for the platform? 2-3 Billion? as in "B". more?

Interesting times. So it will be people in their 30's who can spring for it, and baby boomers who were waiting for it, 1-2 years and then sales will probably fall off. Everyone is waiting for gas to fall, but in their hearts not counting on it. New OPEC ministers punishing the West by not pumping more crude to drive prices back down. Say 5-6 years from now, after the transition back to small cars, crude bottoms out once again. I wonder if this time, we will follow thru with a plan to........ opps forget it, world ends Dec.22, 2012. what was I thinking...

Like in 1980, when the last major gas crisis hit, the automakers were unprepared for it then. You reach a point in the development of a vehicle, when you have to go forward with it no matter what. It won't return the monies you were counting on, but it's better than just stopping and hauling the dies to the dumpster. What would you guess the development costs to be for the platform? 2-3 Billion? as in "B". more?

While the entire platform engineering effort may have been in the billions, the investment for the Camaro specifically was likely far less. After all, it DOES share its platform and powertrain configuration with vehicles that are already in production. I still agree with your assessment about the "point of no return" though.

Interesting times. So it will be people in their 30's who can spring for it, and baby boomers who were waiting for it, 1-2 years and then sales will probably fall off. Everyone is waiting for gas to fall, but in their hearts not counting on it. New OPEC ministers punishing the West by not pumping more crude to drive prices back down. Say 5-6 years from now, after the transition back to small cars, crude bottoms out once again. I wonder if this time, we will follow thru with a plan to........ opps forget it, world ends Dec.22, 2012. what was I thinking...

One thing is sure, we'll never see gas go below 3bux again, if even that low. Once they get your blood, they go for the jugular.

One thing is sure, we'll never see gas go below 3bux again, if even that low. Once they get your blood, they go for the jugular.

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm sure it won't ever be below $2.00 again. I'm sure in the 80's when gasoline finally peaked over $1.00 nobody thought we'd see prices below that again, but there we were in the mid 90's with 98 cent gas again.

The biggest factor is whether the dollar can regain its former value again. If it does, I predict gas prices will drop significantly.