07 Sport Trac axle ratio and front hub design ????

I was looking over the 07 Sport Trac features on Ford's website and noticed that it lists the 3.73:1 ratio as standard equipment. It does not indicate any difference between V-6 and V-8. I'm pretty sure I have read elsewhere that the 4.6L would come with a 3.55:1 ratio. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, what type of hubs, if any, are on the front axle? I have read that they are auto hubs but this was not on Ford's website. My 02 Ranger FX4 does not have front hubs. The front axles and driveshaft turn all the time similar to a front-wheel drive vehicle. The front axle only has power when the transfer case is engaged in either 4H or 4L. Probably not the best setup for fuel mileage or long range durability since all the frontend parts are turning all the time. My 94 Ranger had auto hubs and they were nothing but a pain in the arse and I eventually swapped them for Warn manual hubs. I suspect that the new Explorers and Sport Trac are similar to my 02 Ranger, i.e. no hubs. Anyone know the answer? Thanks....

I was looking over the 07 Sport Trac features on Ford's website and noticed that it lists the 3.73:1 ratio as standard equipment. It does not indicate any difference between V-6 and V-8. I'm pretty sure I have read elsewhere that the 4.6L would come with a 3.55:1 ratio. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, what type of hubs, if any, are on the front axle? I have read that they are auto hubs but this was not on Ford's website. My 02 Ranger FX4 does not have front hubs. The front axles and driveshaft turn all the time similar to a front-wheel drive vehicle. The front axle only has power when the transfer case is engaged in either 4H or 4L. Probably not the best setup for fuel mileage or long range durability since all the frontend parts are turning all the time. My 94 Ranger had auto hubs and they were nothing but a pain in the arse and I eventually swapped them for Warn manual hubs. I suspect that the new Explorers and Sport Trac are similar to my 02 Ranger, i.e. no hubs. Anyone know the answer? Thanks....

The Expedition, Ranger and F150 have automatic hubs that allow the front wheels to free wheel when you shift into 2WD High. The Super Duty is the only one that still uses manual hubs.

Your Ranger should not be turning it's front axle and driveshaft all the time or there is a problem with the hub system on it. The new automatic hubs are MUCH more reliable then the old exposed electric activated hubs that required you to back up to take them out. Just because there are no exposed hubs like there used to be does not mean there is not a hub system on all these vehicles. There is one, it is just internal now.

Here is a link that describes the system as found on the Expedition. Now with the Explorer all models are always in 4x4 AUTO with ControlTrac. You don't have the 2WD High setting like on the Expedition, so it is possible that the hubs are always locked in on the Explorer. I own a 2005, but I don't know the internal workings of the system. Someone with mechanical knowledge would have to clarify how the Explorer system works. I do know however that your Ranger does have vacuum locking hubs and should be freewheeling when you shift out of 4x4.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/020501.htm

Calvin@LAP is pretty much an expert on Explorers since he builds them for a living so maybe he could tell you more about this.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I have to disagree about the hubs on my Ranger. This truck does not have hubs, period. This is what is commonly referred to as the "live" axle design. The vacuum hub design was used from 1998 through early 2000. Begining in mid-2000 Rangers no longer have the unreliable vacuum hub design (PVH). As stated in my original post, the front axles and driveshaft turn all the time, they only have power applied when the transfer case is engaged in 4H or 4L. In my case, because the truck is a manual transmission FX4, the transfer case is also manually shifted. This is a much more reliable design than either the pre-98 auto hubs or the 98-2000 PVH system. The drawback is, of course, that there are numerous pieces parts turning all the time and these frictional losses decrease fuel mileage and increase part wear and tear. Oh, and by the way, I've never heard of "electric activated hubs". Exactly what are those supposed to be? The only three types ever used on Rangers from the factory were true manually operated, centrifically activated "automatic" hubs, or the vacuum activated PVH hubs.

Now, back to my original question. What type of hubs are used, if any, with the Control Trac system as used on the Explorer and Sport Trac?

Edited by blksn8k2

I have to disagree about the hubs on my Ranger. This truck does not have hubs, period. This is what is commonly referred to as the "live" axle design. The vacuum hub design was used from 1998 through early 2000. Begining in mid-2000 Rangers no longer have the unreliable vacuum hub design (PVH). As stated in my original post, the front axles and driveshaft turn all the time, they only have power applied when the transfer case is engaged in 4H or 4L. In my case, because the truck is a manual transmission FX4, the transfer case is also manually shifted. This is a much more reliable design than either the pre-98 auto hubs or the 98-2000 PVH system. The drawback is, of course, that there are numerous pieces parts turning all the time and these frictional losses decrease fuel mileage and increase part wear and tear. Oh, and by the way, I've never heard of "electric activated hubs". Exactly what are those supposed to be? The only three types ever used on Rangers from the factory were true manually operated, centrifically activated "automatic" hubs, or the vacuum activated PVH hubs.

Now, back to my original question. What type of hubs are used, if any, with the Control Trac system as used on the Explorer and Sport Trac?

I would guess the hub design is the same as my 2003 Ranger 4X4 and probably your 2002 Ranger and probably not quite the same as Control Trac. The electronic transfer case would then take care of everything in terms of input to the front differential. There does seem to be some drag from the 4X4 hubs and this set-up when turning hard. I have noticed it with my manual tranny and turning hard on deep gravel into my driveway - it's easy to stall the engine if you don't give it a little extra punch, especially after putting rather aggressive tires on the little guy.

Otherwise, this is basically a design that started with Jeep and I think it probably works just fine. The extra drag only seems to happen when turning hard. My Ranger gets very good gas mileage in my mind for 4.10 L/S 4X4 - averages 19 mpg on most days, better when it gets a chance to run on the highway for extended periods. And 4X4 is instant as opposed to hubs having to think about engaging.

I agree too that detailed information on the SportTrac is hard to find. Maybe a good dealer knows?