OAC News

otp

I am supposedly going to be a pref hire from Windsor but as of today, I have not received my official letter from Oakville HR with my start date. We are losing patience with the company. Start dates are tenative for July 21, but I do not see them sstarting all new hires on the same day let alone some 200 pref hires from Windsor. I think I'll be starting sometime in early August.

Windsor people will be coming July 21. Safety training for two days and the company has them for the rest of the week. New hires come July 28, same deal.

Ed.

I am more concerned with our 707 newspaper editor Ron Balazs. He's forgotton to be the voice of our membership, and instead tries to belittle us with his crying editorial, smiling pictures from the Day of Mourning ceremonies, and pictures of himself at the retiree hall of fame ceremonies.

Then Ron Balazs has the nerve to print a letter to the editor (himself) trying to explain why he didn't win a position on Ford council because of family matters. No, he didn't win because we the membership don't want him in. Enquiring minds would like to know when Ron is going to start his job in the plant, as he and our union seem to have forgotten that Ron is just a regular grunt like the rest of us except we allow him to work steady days just because he is our recording secretary.

Many people talk about brother Balazs but nobody has seen him in years, until the next election.

Looks like Ron is more involved with our Union than you are. This is not the place to slam your Reps. Support them or shut to fuck up! You can have your say at the next election. The people that are representing us are there because the majority wanted them. Get over it you whining bastards! :redcard:

Ed.

Most of the Windsor pref. hires received their letters on Friday June 20. Looking forward to working again and receiving a decent paycheck. Now does anyone want to rent me a few square feet of their garage where I can throw down my sleepingbag.

I have a double garage but, standing room only. You could pitch a tent in my yard but, would probably float away with all the rain we've had. If you're having a hard time finding a place to stay, I will check with the Local to see if there is some info on boarding possibilities. Maybe, someone will raise the issue at this weekends Local meeting. Maybe members can post on the Plant bulletin boards rooms for rent. Or have a list of cheap Motels close to the Plant for Windsor brothers and sisters posted. Looking forward to seeing some new faces at the meetings in September. Be a part of your new Local, get involved and best of luck with your move to the Golden Horseshoe.

Ed.

because euan gibb drives a VOLKSWAGON that is made by unionized workers outside north america is ok, seems funny how this so called trade unionist who says he helps the campaign MANUFACTURE MATTERS and OUT OF A JOB YET....KEEP BUYING FOREIGN , i guess hes right he does help, HES HELPING THE OTHER SIDE, i thought you should at least BEWARE of that.

Just thought you should be aware that the CAW supports International Unions. The term BUY UNION means just that. With the change in government policies, the loss of jobs, the flood of imports it has shifted the term "Buy Union" to "BUY CANADIAN". With that being said, does that mean it's ok for Canadians to buy Toyota's or Honda's made here in Canada? They are part of our manufacturing base. They help keep our economy running, they pay good wages because the CAW set the bar. They are Domestic. They are built by Canadians. (problem with that is NAFTA) Under NAFTA the US and Mexico are also considered Domestic. So, buying a foreign made car would be sacrilege now with the loss of all the auto jobs here. Shame on all the members who buy foreign made cars or trucks!

Ed.

Edited by Edsel

Just thought you should be aware that the CAW supports International Unions. The term BUY UNION means just that. With the change in government policies, the loss of jobs, the flood of imports it has shifted the term "Buy Union" to "BUY CANADIAN". With that being said, does that mean it's ok for Canadians to buy Toyota's or Honda's made here in Canada? They are part of our manufacturing base. They help keep our economy running, they pay good wages because the CAW set the bar. They are Domestic. They are built by Canadians. (problem with that is NAFTA) Under NAFTA the US and Mexico are also considered Domestic. So, buying a foreign made car would be sacrilege now with the loss of all the auto jobs here. Shame on all the members who buy foreign made cars or trucks!

Ed.

I'm sorry are you saying it is ok to buy non union made product from Toyota and Honda or not?

I'm sorry are you saying it is ok to buy non union made product from Toyota and Honda or not?

Don't think I said that........let me check again........no, that's not what I said. Ford, GM, and Chrysler workers all have a choice what to buy and not to buy, as do workers at Toyota and Honda. What I'm saying is, the consumer cannot be chastised for buying Canadian made Toyota and Honda products. It still helps our Canadian economy. If Toyota and Honda workers were CAW members then, would it be ok for CAW auto manufacturing members to buy those products? Answer me that. How about CAW airline workers or CAW rail workers? How about all CAW members? What about a Ford worker buying a GM product? I'm not telling anybody what to buy. Looking at the industry, the erosion of our manufacturing base, OUR job losses, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out where loyalties should lie. BUY WHAT YOU BUILD! Other CAW members in other sectors all across Canada should, support the Union made vehicles built in Canada.

Ed.

Don't think I said that........let me check again........no, that's not what I said. Ford, GM, and Chrysler workers all have a choice what to buy and not to buy, as do workers at Toyota and Honda. What I'm saying is, the consumer cannot be chastised for buying Canadian made Toyota and Honda products. It still helps our Canadian economy. If Toyota and Honda workers were CAW members then, would it be ok for CAW auto manufacturing members to buy those products? Answer me that. How about CAW airline workers or CAW rail workers? How about all CAW members? What about a Ford worker buying a GM product? I'm not telling anybody what to buy. Looking at the industry, the erosion of our manufacturing base, OUR job losses, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out where loyalties should lie. BUY WHAT YOU BUILD! Other CAW members in other sectors all across Canada should, support the Union made vehicles built in Canada.

Ed.

I must be slow, could you please give me a definitive yes or no.

Ed.

Yeah, I guess you are. If you can see I asked the same question you have asked me. Why do you want a yes or no answer from me? I think most would figure that out but, I'm biased. You are missing my point completely if that is all your concerned with. Black or White? :doh:

Ed.

Edited by Edsel

Okay-this is getting old. No Foxrun you are not slow. We both read and understood exactly what was written

Just a guess,but I think Edsel may be looking at a higher Union post in 2011. If you've ever dealt with

Mr. McColeman you'ld recognize the non-committal! If I tell you yes today I can't very well tell you no next week!

Edited by rt2525

Okay-this is getting old. No Foxrun you are not slow. We both read and understood exactly what was written

Just a guess,but I think Edsel may be looking at a higher Union post in 2011. If you've ever dealt with

Mr. McColeman you'ld recognize the non-committal! If I tell you yes today I can't very well tell you no next week!

Keep guessing Rto Tdo. Again, bad mouthing our elected Reps................Now that's getting old and immature.

Ed.

I am a Windsor transfer employee starting July 21. I was just looking at the US sales for June and noticed that both the Edge and MKX saw a decline in year over year sales. We were told that there are mandatory Saturdays from when we start to Labour Day. Is this still holding true or is there any word on the plant floor regarding the summer work schedule.

Thanks to whoever replys.

I am a Windsor transfer employee starting July 21. I was just looking at the US sales for June and noticed that both the Edge and MKX saw a decline in year over year sales. We were told that there are mandatory Saturdays from when we start to Labour Day. Is this still holding true or is there any word on the plant floor regarding the summer work schedule.

Thanks to whoever replys.

Talk on the floor is still for mandatory Saturdays. But then again it is talk, and I remain suspicious as you because nothing speaks louder then sales numbers.

On the bright side, Toyota sales have plummeted and as such could very well be the begining of the overall car sales decline and not just the Domestics decline as has been the past few years. As odd as that might seem, I personally believe the Domestics have been waiting for this.

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought I'd bump our thread because it's getting lost in the 20 Rawsonville threads.

Soooo...what's up OAC? Enjoying shutdown?? :happy feet:

What's up? Well the bomb was dropped by Labour Relations, "the 3rd shift is canceled indefinitely"! NO new hires next week, and the 159 that are here from Windsor and St. Thomas will stay. They will be needed when they offer senior members at OAC 159 buyouts. I had a bad feeling about the #1 shift, this time and last. Now the fun starts!

Ed.

What's up? Well the bomb was dropped by Labour Relations, "the 3rd shift is canceled indefinitely"! NO new hires next week, and the 159 that are here from Windsor and St. Thomas will stay. They will be needed when they offer senior members at OAC 159 buyouts. I had a bad feeling about the #1 shift, this time and last. Now the fun starts!

Ed.

Now what!!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ed.

This may seem like a stupid question but how many St Thomas people came to Oakville recently because I was waiting for my chance but no one ever asked me!!

Goodbye midnight shift.....I feel so bad for all those who thought they had a job here

Wasn't this the main reason we opened up and ratified our "new" contract 5 months early

You didn't hear what is happening to GM in Oshawa after agreeing to the 'great' early contract? It was all over the news.

You didn't hear what is happening to GM in Oshawa after agreeing to the 'great' early contract? It was all over the news.

Everyone has heard :censored: Although GM din't triumphantly announce a third shift at OAC.

At this rate, OAC could be back to the days of the Freestar shifts. Time will tell :fan: