OAC News

otp

QFT

Now I will give you all a lesson in grade school mathematics. If the inflation rate from January to June is 3.1%, and the inflation rate from January to July is 3.4%, what was the inflation rate for July? Solve for X. ( 3.1+3.1+3.1+3.1+3.1+3.1+X)/7=3.4.

(18.6+X)/7=3.4

Multiply both sides by 7.

18.6+X=23.8

X=23.8-18.6=5.2

The inflation rate for July was 5.2%

Edited by Trimdingman

You are a fucking idiot. You should go back to school, because you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. 3.7% is represented as a decimal by .037. The actual inflation rate is a SUM of individual months, not an AVERAGE.

IF the inflation rate from Jan to June was 3.1%, and the Jan to July rate was 3.4%; the July rate would be (3.4-3.1)= 0.3%

See, because unlike you, I actually WENT to college.

Right from the CPI page that you refuse to read,

The seasonally-adjusted monthly all-items CPI advanced 0.3% between June and July 2008, down from the 0.8% rise posted in June.

Now we know why you don't take a package and retire. With your "math skills" you'd be broke in a month.

You are a fucking idiot. You should go back to school, because you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. 3.7% is represented as a decimal by .037. The actual inflation rate is a SUM of individual months, not an AVERAGE.

IF the inflation rate from Jan to June was 3.1%, and the Jan to July rate was 3.4%; the July rate would be (3.4-3.1)= 0.3%

See, because unlike you, I actually WENT to college.

Right from the CPI page that you refuse to read,

Now we know why you don't take a package and retire. With your "math skills" you'd be broke in a month.

Well, I know how hard it is to get knocked down from your high horse, but you are wrong and I am right. How do you explain the 62 cent an hour increase that the UAW workers got, even though they have a lot of diversions? That would equate to an inflation rate over the past few months in the 5% or 6% range. I went to university, and I passed Mathematics 200, which includes integral and differential calculus.

Edited by Trimdingman

Well, I know how hard it is to get knocked down from your high horse, but you are wrong and I am right. How do you explain the 62 cent an hour increase that the UAW workers got, even though they have a lot of diversions? That would equate to an inflation rate over the past few months in the 5% or 6% range. I went to university, and I passed Mathematics 200, which includes integral and differential calculus.

Well, you might have passed, but not by much, because you're WRONG.

If things increase at a rate ot 5% per month that you claimed in your last post, tell me. Are you paying 30% more than you did 5 months ago for everything? Because that's what you're saying.

Well, you might have passed, but not by much, because you're WRONG.

If things increase at a rate ot 5% per month that you claimed in your last post, tell me. Are you paying 30% more than you did 5 months ago for everything? Because that's what you're saying.

The increase of 5% means that everything will cost 5% more in a year. An increase in inflation of 1% in a month would be 12% compounded for the year. The anual inflation rate went up by 0.3% in one month. That means that inflation went up enough in one month to push the annual rate up by 0.3%. The annual rate went up to 5 or 6% for July only. That does not mean that inflation went up 6% in July. That would be 6x12=72% annual inflation. The way you think, that would translate into an increase of about 1/2 of one percent for July. If inflation stays that way, we are looking at about 5 or 6 per cent annually. That is double what it was in the past several years, and that would mean that our COLA payments would be double.

Did you go over my figures at all? Do you even understand basic linear algebra?

Edited by Trimdingman

The increase of 5% means that everything will cost 5% more in a year. An increase in inflation of 1% in a month would be 12% compounded for the year. The anual inflation rate went up by 0.3% in one month. That means that inflation went up enough in one month to push the annual rate up by 0.3%. The annual rate went up to 5 or 6% for July only. That does not mean that inflation went up 6% in July. That would be 6x12=72% annual inflation.

Exactly. That's what I've said ten times, you keep telling me I'M wrong. You're the one who keeps insisting the inflation for July was 5%. It was .3% The annual rate is at 3.4% That means the COLA for a whole year would be around a buck.

Now you know why everyone is sick of you snivelling over what amounts to about $ 0.60 an hour or less.

Exactly. That's what I've said ten times, you keep telling me I'M wrong. You're the one who keeps insisting the inflation for July was 5%. It was .3% The annual rate is at 3.4% That means the COLA for a whole year would be around a buck.

Now you know why everyone is sick of you snivelling over what amounts to about $ 0.60 an hour or less.

You are stuck in the past. Our COLA freeze is going forward. If our COLA covers 90% of inflation, and inflation is 5% IN THE FUTURE, 5% of $33 is $1.65. Ninety per cent of that is $1.485. That is how much we lose in a year.

Edited by Trimdingman

Sparky, hell in the world do you keep yourself from finding that moron in the plant and beating him with a rubber hose?

you know i see a lot of people with the bumper stickers on their vehicles that say "OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!

There should be new ones for some of those folks who can barely walk or are about 4 or 5 years away from retiring but wont like Trimdingbat it should read

" SAVE A JOB! TAKE THE PACKAGE"

Edited by The Bull

How many times are you going to edit each post?

I understand algebra just fine. I took calculus too. Your algebra isn't wrong, your application is.

Go back to school, show your prof. Accept the DUNCE cap and go sit in a corner.

Lots of words, no meaning. The inflation rate, RIGHT NOW, not averaged over the year is what is used to calculate COLA. In the month of July, the rate for THE WHOLE YEAR went up by 0.3%. That means that there was a spike in July. Maybe it was a spike. Maybe it is something that will last for awhile. If it were January, instead of July, then the annual inflation rate would be over 5%. COLA is calculated by how many points the CPI goes up each month. It has nothing to do with what the annual inflation rate is. It has to do with the monthly inflation rate. The monthly inflation rate is around 5 or 6 per cent anualized. You are mislead by the .3% increase that was reported. It is not wrong, just misleading. Actually, the rate of inflation doubled in the short term. That is why the UAW workers got a big hike. We lost it because we are frozen. That's all I am saying. Why is everyone ripping me for saying the truth?

you know i see a lot of people with the bumper stickers on their vehicles that say "OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!

There should be new ones for some of those folks who can barely walk or are about 4 or 5 years away from retiring but wont like Trimdingbat it should read

" SAVE A JOB! TAKE THE PACKAGE"

that is no bull.

wtf is going on? does anybody have a clue as to how many are in or out. the lack of communication in the plant is unreal. The guys from windsor deserve better, we all do for that matter.

I'm fed up with rumors and speculation, the stewart actually told me once the package info was available on a need to know basis. well i need to know, this is my fuck'n lively hood.

that is no bull.

wtf is going on? does anybody have a clue as to how many are in or out. the lack of communication in the plant is unreal. The guys from windsor deserve better, we all do for that matter.

I'm fed up with rumors and speculation, the stewart actually told me once the package info was available on a need to know basis. well i need to know, this is my fuck'n lively hood.

In HR they are saying it looks like they will not get their number and I guess the number would be equivalent to how many worked on third shift for body and paint. Word is the next step is to offer less to lower seniority guys and they would have to cut all ties.

trimdinggy,, please stand on side of street with a cup and we will gladly give you a quarter once in awhile if you let this cola go away,, I am sure you have time in your job at ford to go out and do some begging.As far as packages ,, it is a tough decision for someone to make ,and like they said at meeting ,it is your decision to make alone... If an older senority guy doesn't take ,it is his decision for his reasons ,as for me ,I have decided to take the package and take on the next challenge ,sucking that pension dry for the ones that don't take it................................................good luck guys and gals...........

trimdinggy,, please stand on side of street with a cup and we will gladly give you a quarter once in awhile if you let this cola go away,, I am sure you have time in your job at ford to go out and do some begging.As far as packages ,, it is a tough decision for someone to make ,and like they said at meeting ,it is your decision to make alone... If an older senority guy doesn't take ,it is his decision for his reasons ,as for me ,I have decided to take the package and take on the next challenge ,sucking that pension dry for the ones that don't take it................................................good luck guys and gals...........

I, personally, do not care about the money. It is just the principal. I don't like being manipulated. Either the union saw this coming, or they didn't. Either they did, and said nothing, and were in on it with the company, or they were oblivious. The company obviously saw it coming. That is why they wanted the contract opened early, and the COLA frozen before we became aware of the increase in inflation.

Edited by Trimdingman

I, personally, do not care about the money. It is just the principal. I don't like being manipulated. Either the union saw this coming, or they didn't. Either they did, and said nothing, and were in on it with the company, or they were oblivious. The company obviously saw it coming. That is why they wanted the contract opened early, and the COLA frozen before we became aware of the increase in inflation.

SPITE?? your not going to take the package out of spite?

I now truly believe what they all say about you.

You have been manipulated since you have started,Whether its by the union or the company,your just a pawn.Get over your ego and leave this space for some people who actually have something to say.

You have been manipulated since you have started,Whether its by the union or the company,your just a pawn.Get over your ego and leave this space for some people who actually have something to say.

:finger: I don't really know if its manipulation when we decide to stay and work here. . . We ARE NOT in a career, we have jobs. . . A career would of put us in a position to move up and out. Our education dictates if we have a job or a career. . . We are working for the buck. . . Some of us take pride in what we do on the Line and that's good for that person and the customer. . . Some don't work as hard . . . so I can't see that I've been manipulated. . .

:finger: I don't really know if its manipulation when we decide to stay and work here. . . We ARE NOT in a career, we have jobs. . . A career would of put us in a position to move up and out. Our education dictates if we have a job or a career. . . We are working for the buck. . . Some of us take pride in what we do on the Line and that's good for that person and the customer. . . Some don't work as hard . . . so I can't see that I've been manipulated. . .

Do any of you understand the financial markets at all? We are in meltdown mode right now. The fed has decided to inflate the dollar rather than let the system crash. This is the worst possible time to be without COLA protection. The Consumer Price Index actually increased by 0.8% in July. Compounded over a year, that would be double digit inflation, which we haven't seen since the 1980s. It could get even worse than that this time. I have seen this coming for some time, if you read my posts on other threads. I can't believe that so many of you are so clueless, especially Sparky. We should not have let them touch our COLA.

Mister, when you have put in the decades on the line that I have, and in the old school, before they even heard of ergonomics, then you can talk to me. I earned what I have now, and I am not afraid of going back, either.

We were manipulated when we were pushed into re-opening our contract, and having our COLA frozen just before we got a chance to see inflation taking off. If we were in negotiations right now, like we should be, there is no way that we would agree to a COLA freeze.

Edited by Trimdingman