OAC News

otp

I've followed this thread for years and it always comes back to trimdingman's fear of getting old, abandonment issues, and full blown economic neurosis where anything less than the certainty of retiring in complete affluence is viewed as poverty (ie having to drive a car the full 10 years--oh the sacrifice and hardship! --wow have we really become this decadent and soft as a society?). My advice to you t-man is leave while you can still enjoy the sunshine. It sucks being in a factory when the weather is great. I'm speaking metaphorically in a way. Let me explain.

Redeem the time NOW ! Not in the future! Don't expect the golden years to get more golden (they don't). A few extra bucks in the bank for a few more extra years in the factory is not worth it. Worrying about inflation, stagflation or deflation and spending your last few healthy years in a factory is not a wise trade-off. My dad retired from OAP at 65, fit as a fiddle, both mentally and physically. Now ten years later I have seen him become an old man. No dementia or other pathology, just plain old age, seemingly overnight. No desire to go anywhere or do anything. Mentally, a shadow of his previous self. Age caught up to him. The price of gas does not interest him, nor do rising taxes, or a falling living standard.

Embrace life now, see the world or a local park, pet a few animals. Put the financial times down. You will have multiple pensions and no doubt some savings, chances are you own some equity as well. I think I remember you saying you live in upscale Oakville. Great! Your sitting on a goldmine. When you retire, consider downsizing and cash out. Scale down not up. You will have more money than you need and you will never be hungry or cold.

Its not that I take issue with your desire to work indefinitely, that's not it, it's your irrational mental poverty that you are subject to and that you wish others shared as well. Usually this complex is the result of childhood poverty or some kind of deprivation. Will Smith the actor suffers from this complex to this day despite being worth hundreds of millions. In his mind, he is still poor.

Stop being a doomsday prognosticator. Believe me in just a few short years you won't care about economic issues or hedging your bets. You remind me of a woman who had a million in the bank but never turned her heat on in the winter. She was 76! She was saving for the future!

Relax, retire and let someone who needs the job more than you take your place and get some help for your neurosis just like you would for a fear of heights or spiders or whatever. People are neurotic because their fear is usually irrational despite every indicator proving otherwise. BTW, travel to other parts of the world and see what poverty and lack really is. If I've seemed harsh in rebuking your constant complaining, I've actually toned down my rhetoric to be as polite as I can.

Best of luck to you with all due respect.

In two years, you will be singing a different tune. If I am wrong, and the economy is flourishing, I can sell my house for a couple of hundred thou more than I could get for it now, and retire then. I will wait and see. In the meantime, I will be enjoying the good life, as I have for the last 30 odd years. Realisticly, we are looking at a period of high inflation, which will quickly eat up a pension's buying power. You can't compare the last 20 years with what is just ahead. These will be times like we have never experienced in our lives. If I am wrong, I have lost nothing. If I am right, and retire now, that would be stupid. Check news sources that do not toe the government line. You will find that a large portion of the population agrees with me, and they are the smart ones. It is easy to get lulled into a dream of idle prosperity. It will not pan out.

Edited by Trimdingman

In two years, you will be singing a different tune. If I am wrong, and the economy is flourishing, I can sell my house for a couple of hundred thou more than I could get for it now, and retire then. I will wait and see. In the meantime, I will be enjoying the good life, as I have for the last 30 odd years. Realisticly, we are looking at a period of high inflation, which will quickly eat up a pension's buying power. You can't compare the last 20 years with what is just ahead. These will be times like we have never experienced in our lives. If I am wrong, I have lost nothing. If I am right, and retire now, that would be stupid. Check news sources that do not toe the government line. You will find that a large portion of the population agrees with me, and they are the smart ones. It is easy to get lulled into a dream of idle prosperity. It will not pan out.

No one said that tough times are not ahead. They've always been around - boom follows bust and vice versa. Second, there have always been ways to preserve wealth and ride out difficult times as well. Nowadays, this information is free and ubiquitous. I know that at your age, I definitely wouldn't be worrying about it though, especially if I was debt free, without a young family to support. Two more years of work will not change your future prospects or security one iota, and you sure as heck can't take it with you. However, leaving a factory two years early at your age, that is priceless. You seem to make the common mistake where you assume that your years once you retire will be as "good" or as "golden" as the ones that preceded it. Any doctor or actuary will tell you otherwise.

No one said that tough times are not ahead. They've always been around - boom follows bust and vice versa. Second, there have always been ways to preserve wealth and ride out difficult times as well. Nowadays, this information is free and ubiquitous. I know that at your age, I definitely wouldn't be worrying about it though, especially if I was debt free, without a young family to support. Two more years of work will not change your future prospects or security one iota, and you sure as heck can't take it with you. However, leaving a factory two years early at your age, that is priceless. You seem to make the common mistake where you assume that your years once you retire will be as "good" or as "golden" as the ones that preceded it. Any doctor or actuary will tell you otherwise.

I still have twenty or thirty years of life to think about. Taking thirty years of pension is selfish. I am not on death's doorstep just yet. When I get to the point where I tire easily, and cannot do a satisfactory job, I will go. That time has not come yet. If everyone followed your advice, and retired at age 60 or so, it would bankrupt the country. Wages would have to be cut so companies could afford to pay pensions. Workers would be making less than pensioners, like XSTAP who made as much on pension as his son did working. The people will not stand for such a situation for long. Unions will cut pensions and raise wages. People will vote for candidates who will do the same with government pensions. Government is making noises about getting out of the pension business. Now, I am hated because I am doing a job which is keeping someone unemployed. If I retire, I will be a drain on the economy, and will become a factor in either someone losing his job or having his taxes increased. It is spread out over the whole economy, so harder to pinpoint this way. Non-thinking people can't even see it.

I have seen these "boom follows bust" cycles. The one that we are in the early stages of now is something different.

Since I lost my cleaning job, and have to work more, I feel younger and more agile; and that is improving every day. If I retired, I would age and die 10 years or more before my time.

Edited by Trimdingman

There are other considerations besides your own selfish expectations. Nobody owes anybody twenty or thirty years of financial support.

My selfish expectations? In case you missed it, I'm in trades. Your retirement doesn't affect me, so personally I don't really give a fuck.

When I hit 30 years at 51 I'll have the option of taking a full pension and make near as much money as I do now over top of it working somewhere else if I choose to do so.

Maybe if you spent more time learning a marketable skill in your spare time instead of being a self-made doomsday prophet you could have done the same.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

My selfish expectations? In case you missed it, I'm in trades. Your retirement doesn't affect me, so personally I don't really give a fuck.

When I hit 30 years at 51 I'll have the option of taking a full pension and make near as much money as I do now over top of it working somewhere else if I choose to do so.

Maybe if you spent more time learning a marketable skill in your spare time instead of being a self-made doomsday profit you could have done the same.

So why should I leave if I have the best job that I could ever hope to have already? Your trade will be much in demand when the lights go out. Anyone who knows how to generate electricity will be rich. The longer I can keep working, the longer I will be able to hold out after the collapse. The price of food and fuel are hyperinflating already. They are conveniently left out of the basket of goods used to calculate the Consumer Price Index. True inflation is over 7%.

You expect to collect a pension from age 51 on, to be paid at the expense of people who will be forking over their hard earned money while you earn a second income. You're not selfish. I don't think there is a word to describe what you are.

You expect to collect a pension from age 51 on, to be paid at the expense of people who will be forking over their hard earned money while you earn a second income. You're not selfish. I don't think there is a word to describe what you are.

My father died of cancer a year and a half after retiring after working 32 years, retired at 61 died at 63. The chemicals and dirt in the air from 3 decades at a Ford engine plant probaby didn't help.

My father in law retired from OAC after 39 years in material handling at 59. Healthy as a horse, died of a viral infection that caused pericarditis; we buried him on his 60th birthday. Literally.

It doesn't matter if you think you're healthy now or how old your parents got to be. You have no idea what those shithouse-cleaning chemicals have put into your body or what idiot runs a red light on your way to work and cuts your time short.

A pension is a negotiated benefit that we get as part of my wage package. So I don't feel guilty taking it whenever I feel ready to go. Ford is still way ahead of the curve as far as the pensions go. Every year it seems the union likes to remind us of that guy that retired 40 years ago still collecting a pension, but they don't like to talk about the countless ones that die within months of retiring, the ones that retire because they are dying, or the ones that don't make it to retirement.

So feel free to work as long as you want. It'll make me enjoy my retirement that much more knowing that you're paying for my winters in Mexico. :shades:

Edited by OAC_Sparky

T-man, in all fairness, I was under the assumption that you were already around 65 and planning to work beyond that. If you are not 65 yet or plan to work until 65, I don't see anything wrong with that. But after 65 there are better ways to spend your time than in a factory. When I worked at ford a few years ago during the summer as a student, my foreman asked me if i wanted to work OT on a saturday. It was a beautiful june weekend coming up. I had to make a decision, to come in and earn extra money, or be outside on a beautiful day on the weekend so I could refresh myself for the upcoming work week. I chose rest and relaxation. No matter how easy you think your job is right now in the plant. It cannot compare to the health benefits of walking down 18 holes surrounded by nature. The key is to go when you can still walk those 18, in your prime, and not when you are nearing the end of your prime.

I salute sparky for his insight. Take care of yourself cause no one else will. Learn to make tradeoffs (health vs money). Sorry if I sound patronizing. I'm in my early 30's --what do I know?

Health and long life to all !!

My father died of cancer a year and a half after retiring after working 32 years, retired at 61 died at 63. The chemicals and dirt in the air from 3 decades at a Ford engine plant probaby didn't help.

My father in law retired from OAC after 39 years in material handling at 59. Healthy as a horse, died of a viral infection that caused pericarditis; we buried him on his 60th birthday. Literally.

It doesn't matter if you think you're healthy now or how old your parents got to be. You have no idea what those shithouse-cleaning chemicals have put into your body or what idiot runs a red light on your way to work and cuts your time short.

A pension is a negotiated benefit that we get as part of my wage package. So I don't feel guilty taking it whenever I feel ready to go. Ford is still way ahead of the curve as far as the pensions go. Every year it seems the union likes to remind us of that guy that retired 40 years ago still collecting a pension, but they don't like to talk about the countless ones that die within months of retiring, the ones that retire because they are dying, or the ones that don't make it to retirement.

So feel free to work as long as you want. It'll make me enjoy my retirement that much more knowing that you're paying for my winters in Mexico. :shades:

My parents died relatively young; 63 and 71. I plan to live past 90. Don't know if I will make it, but that is the plan. I will have to work at least until 70 or so, or I will go broke. No pension is going to be worth anything after five years or so. In twenty years, it will be just a distant memory. It was good to retire in the 1990s. People who retired before the inflation years of the 1980s didn't fare so well. I think we are in for a worse case of inflation in the near future, and indexed pensions are a thing of the past. The CPI doesn't include food, and food is what is going up in price the fastest. I am afraid that those dreams of golf will in reality be long lineups for food in a few years time. It is better to have a job. Average life expectency is over 80. If it wasn't, insurance companies would go broke. Pensions were empty promises that cannot be fulfilled; either by corporations or by governments.

My parents died relatively young; 63 and 71. I plan to live past 90. Don't know if I will make it, but that is the plan. I will have to work at least until 70 or so, or I will go broke. No pension is going to be worth anything after five years or so. In twenty years, it will be just a distant memory. It was good to retire in the 1990s. People who retired before the inflation years of the 1980s didn't fare so well. I think we are in for a worse case of inflation in the near future, and indexed pensions are a thing of the past. The CPI doesn't include food, and food is what is going up in price the fastest. I am afraid that those dreams of golf will in reality be long lineups for food in a few years time. It is better to have a job. Average life expectency is over 80. If it wasn't, insurance companies would go broke. Pensions were empty promises that cannot be fulfilled; either by corporations or by governments.

With a plan like that, why retire you'll be to old to enjoy it anyway. Just keep working until you drop dead. Seen plenty of guys like you think they are going to live to 90 to 100 and retire around 70 and live less than a year after retirement.

With a plan like that, why retire you'll be to old to enjoy it anyway. Just keep working until you drop dead. Seen plenty of guys like you think they are going to live to 90 to 100 and retire around 70 and live less than a year after retirement.

How about some oac news,rumours,something! I'm tired of coming on here to read about Trim(chickenlittle)ding dong. Fuck him,lets have some news from the plant floor.

"My parents died relatively young; 63 and 71. I plan to live past 90. Don't know if I will make it, but that is the plan."

I'd live like there is no tomorrow if I were you!

"I will have to work at least until 70 or so, or I will go broke."

We already did a financial checkup a couple days ago remember? We were all relieved that you have valuable real estate, savings and a work ethic that would make a german envious. No one is going broke, last of all you.

"No pension is going to be worth anything after five years or so."

Not anything? Even a little? It's really all about extremes with you. Black or white, wealth vs utter destitution. Funny how my grandfather who lives in an eastern european banana republic with rampant inflation can survive on his war veterans pension and have enough left over for copious amounts of plum brandy and cigarettes. Never met a happier or carefree man!

"In twenty years, it will be just a distant memory."

This possibility is definitely of little interest/application to you.

"People who retired before the inflation years of the 1980s didn't fare so well."

Yeah and their pensions still got them through somehow didn't they? I heard no calls for revolution or even demonstrations. Apparently they were content. Be unlike Clinton. Don't "feel their pain." There was none.

"I think we are in for a worse case of inflation in the near future"

some economists argue deflation in many sectors because of falling or stagnant wages. who knows? don't sweat the unknown.

"and indexed pensions are a thing of the past."

Not with Ford they are not. Ford is selling quality products which people want to buy. May be phased /grandfathered out at some point but likely won't affect you at any point.

"The CPI doesn't include food, and food is what is going up in price the fastest."

Not as cheap as before but not expensive either. We are also a leading food producer and exporter. Learn to live on the basics. You'll live longer and healthier albeit the Mrs. may have to cook a little more often. If you're like the stereotypical native that likes booze and tobakee, granted it may get a little expensive for you but I'm sure you know where to get those at great prices !! :beerchug:

" I am afraid that those dreams of golf will in reality be long lineups for food in a few years time."

Cheer up, you have many holes to look forward to. Fear not kimosabe!

"Average life expectency is over 80. If it wasn't, insurance companies would go broke."

Now your worried about insurance companies bottom lines?

"Pensions were empty promises that cannot be fulfilled; either by corporations or by governments."

Yeah occasionally there is an enron here or there. Rest assured though that hundreds of thousands have enjoyed UAW and CAW pensions before you as have their surviving spouses. Continue the tradition. Don't worry be happy.

---------------------

Here is a little song I wrote

You might want to sing it note for note

Don't worry be happy

In every life we have some trouble

When you worry you make it double

Don't worry, be happy......

Ain't got no place to lay your head

Somebody came and took your bed

Don't worry, be happy

The land lord say your rent is late

He may have to litigate

Don't worry, be happy

Lood at me I am happy

Don't worry, be happy

Here I give you my phone number

When you worry call me

I make you happy

Don't worry, be happy

Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style

Ain't got not girl to make you smile

But don't worry be happy

Cause when you worry

Your face will frown

And that will bring everybody down

So don't worry, be happy (now).....

There is this little song I wrote

I hope you learn it note for note

Like good little children

Don't worry, be happy

Listen to what I say

In your life expect some trouble

But when you worry

You make it double

Don't worry don't do it, be happy

Put a smile on your face

Don't bring everybody down like this

Don't worry, it will soon past

Whatever it is

Don't worry, be happy

Edited by nphorizon

How about some oac news,rumours,something! I'm tired of coming on here to read about Trim(chickenlittle)ding dong. Fuck him,lets have some news from the plant floor.

Amen Brother!

I have been coming here for quite some time (hoping to hear some news about OAC) and it's ALWAYS the same. Look at the number of posts Ding Dong has...

Keep working, retire or write a book to spread your priceless (only to you) knowledge, whatever you like, but please STFU!

You ever wonder how many OAC employees stop coming here because of you?

I know that I only check here every month or so.

Because of you.

Edited by LetMeWork

Amen Brother!

I have been coming here for quite some time (hoping to hear some news about OAC) and it's ALWAYS the same. Look at the number of posts Ding Dong has...

Keep working, retire or write a book to spread your priceless (only to you) knowledge, whatever you like, but please STFU!

You ever wonder how many OAC employees stop coming here because of you?

I know that I only check here every month or so.

Because of you.

I have to respond when people challenge my ideas. There is nothing preventing people from posting OAC news. I post more news than anyone. They are installing flat screen TVs in the cafeteria. I hear that it is for a Town Hall Meeting. Maybe there will be some new information. I haven't seen any on the news, so I doubt it. You will find out more about what is going on at OAC by watching TV than going to this forum.

I have to respond when people challenge my ideas. There is nothing preventing people from posting OAC news. I post more news than anyone. They are installing flat screen TVs in the cafeteria. I hear that it is for a Town Hall Meeting. Maybe there will be some new information. I haven't seen any on the news, so I doubt it. You will find out more about what is going on at OAC by watching TV than going to this forum.

Town hall meeting...what a joke,they can just put up a picture of the latest plant manager and roll the tape recording of how shit our plant is in comparison to other plants in the ford system.Blah blah blah.

"My parents died relatively young; 63 and 71. I plan to live past 90. Don't know if I will make it, but that is the plan."

I'd live like there is no tomorrow if I were you!

"I will have to work at least until 70 or so, or I will go broke."

We already did a financial checkup a couple days ago remember? We were all relieved that you have valuable real estate, savings and a work ethic that would make a german envious. No one is going broke, last of all you.

"No pension is going to be worth anything after five years or so."

Not anything? Even a little? It's really all about extremes with you. Black or white, wealth vs utter destitution. Funny how my grandfather who lives in an eastern european banana republic with rampant inflation can survive on his war veterans pension and have enough left over for copious amounts of plum brandy and cigarettes. Never met a happier or carefree man!

"In twenty years, it will be just a distant memory."

This possibility is definitely of little interest/application to you.

"People who retired before the inflation years of the 1980s didn't fare so well."

Yeah and their pensions still got them through somehow didn't they? I heard no calls for revolution or even demonstrations. Apparently they were content. Be unlike Clinton. Don't "feel their pain." There was none.

"I think we are in for a worse case of inflation in the near future"

some economists argue deflation in many sectors because of falling or stagnant wages. who knows? don't sweat the unknown.

"and indexed pensions are a thing of the past."

Not with Ford they are not. Ford is selling quality products which people want to buy. May be phased /grandfathered out at some point but likely won't affect you at any point.

"The CPI doesn't include food, and food is what is going up in price the fastest."

Not as cheap as before but not expensive either. We are also a leading food producer and exporter. Learn to live on the basics. You'll live longer and healthier albeit the Mrs. may have to cook a little more often. If you're like the stereotypical native that likes booze and tobakee, granted it may get a little expensive for you but I'm sure you know where to get those at great prices !! :beerchug:

" I am afraid that those dreams of golf will in reality be long lineups for food in a few years time."

Cheer up, you have many holes to look forward to. Fear not kimosabe!

"Average life expectency is over 80. If it wasn't, insurance companies would go broke."

Now your worried about insurance companies bottom lines?

"Pensions were empty promises that cannot be fulfilled; either by corporations or by governments."

Yeah occasionally there is an enron here or there. Rest assured though that hundreds of thousands have enjoyed UAW and CAW pensions before you as have their surviving spouses. Continue the tradition. Don't worry be happy.

---------------------

Here is a little song I wrote

You might want to sing it note for note

Don't worry be happy

In every life we have some trouble

When you worry you make it double

Ain't got no place to lay your head

Somebody came and took your bed

Don't worry, be happy

The land lord say your rent is late

He may have to litigate

Don't worry, be happy

Lood at me I am happy

Don't worry, be happy

Here I give you my phone number

When you worry call me

I make you happy

Don't worry, be happy

Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style

Ain't got not girl to make you smile

But don't worry be happy

Cause when you worry

Your face will frown

And that will bring everybody down

So don't worry, be happy (now).....

There is this little song I wrote

I hope you learn it note for note

Like good little children

Don't worry, be happy

Listen to what I say

In your life expect some trouble

But when you worry

You make it double

Don't worry don't do it, be happy

Put a smile on your face

Don't bring everybody down like this

Don't worry, it will soon past

Whatever it is

Don't worry, be happy

I am very happy; also realistic. I have done all right so far. Why should I piss it away now? Pensions will probably be grand-fathered out, and the ones who get them will lose inflation protection. Inflation is going to be high, to say the least. I could live in a hut somewhere feeding on a greased rag; but I want more than that. I would rather work and live civilized.

I am very happy; also realistic. I have done all right so far. Why should I piss it away now? Pensions will probably be grand-fathered out, and the ones who get them will lose inflation protection. Inflation is going to be high, to say the least. I could live in a hut somewhere feeding on a greased rag; but I want more than that. I would rather work and live civilized.

Why not do yourself a favor and ignore the rants that others do to you and maybe the page will get to back to what people what to hear OAC news. I know where you are coming from but really no one is that interested in your thoughts and why you are still working etc. etc. etc. again let this belong to OAC news. Thanks for your coperation

.ps have a nice day

Why not do yourself a favor and ignore the rants that others do to you and maybe the page will get to back to what people what to hear OAC news. I know where you are coming from but really no one is that interested in your thoughts and why you are still working etc. etc. etc. again let this belong to OAC news. Thanks for your coperation

.ps have a nice day

I am just trying to give people all of the facts. Retirement is a big decision. Nobody except me is providing any information on the side of continuing to work if you are able. People giving advice are making retirement sound better than it actually is. Many people give up great careers to work at Tim Hortons after a few years. They would have been better off if they had continued their great careers making the big bucks. The future looks like it will have high inflation. Retirees will not get to vote on pension increases in new contracts. The ones voting will be the same ones who got screwed over by the ones who are now retired. Think about that.

OMFG :angry: When I retire the last person I will ask for advice will be you!!!

Do you not notice how this USED to be a vibrant and informative board :( Now just a few people even atempt to post here because no matter what the post, TRIM seems to think he has to answer each post....NO YOU DON'T!!!

You tried your "own" Trim thread and it went tits up, get the hint already.... :shrug:

I will wander off for another year or so cause I just can't handle the endless drivel......unless this thread returns to its original theme...OAC NEWS :yahoo:

Do you not notice how this USED to be a vibrant and informative board :( Now just a few people even atempt to post here because no matter what the post, TRIM seems to think he has to answer each post....NO YOU DON'T!!!

You tried your "own" Trim thread and it went tits up, get the hint already.... :shrug:

I will wander off for another year or so cause I just can't handle the endless drivel......unless this thread returns to its original theme...OAC NEWS :yahoo:

CHEERS !!!!!!!!

If it doesn't apply to you, why bother responding? Am I proving your quasi-religious beliefs wrong? You come here to get information. Why not provide some yourself? This is a discussion forum, not a bulletin board.

Some people can't handle the truth. They need to have their lies reinforced before common sense creeps in and causes them to doubt. I am like the common sense that sends them into a tizzy. They like to hear; "Have faith; believe"; in other words, "don't think".

Edited by Trimdingman

The topic of this thread is OAC NEWS. Posts on this thread are to be relevant to the topic. The Local 707 website is not being maintained with current news. The person responsible for the website must have too much on his hands to keep the site up to date. There are many who would like to know what is going on at OAC. If there is anyone currently working there, please post the news of your plant. Thanks. Again posts here are to be relevant to OAC NEWS.

If it doesn't apply to you, why bother responding? Am I proving your quasi-religious beliefs wrong? You come here to get information. Why not provide some yourself? This is a discussion forum, not a bulletin board.

Some people can't handle the truth. They need to have their lies reinforced before common sense creeps in and causes them to doubt. I am like the common sense that sends them into a tizzy. They like to hear; "Have faith; believe"; in other words, "don't think".

The rabies have spread to your brain.......quasi-religious beliefs???WTF does that have to do with OAC??? Insanity and or rabies can be the only explanation :confused:

Discusion forum??? You sir use it to post your rants.....never mind....you do whatever the f*ck you want.....I just wish the admin would nuke you and your account :censored:

I've heard skilled trades are working a lot of overtime. Something about cleaning out the old van lines in body? What are they preparing for? New models coming in? If would be nice to use this as a way to communicate with the brothers and sisters in ST Thomas, Windsor and Oakville. Trim please man...... weve heard all your stories old, new, future, forwards, backwards... inside out lol. Dude its time to get back to the real issues in the plant not the world news man. lol