FEH/MEH Special Orders -- order to build time

jgATL

Order to build time on the FEH/MMH?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How long is your order to build time on the FEH/MMH?

• 6-8 weeks
    • 9-10 weeks
    • 11-14 weeks
    • 16-18 weeks
    • 19 weeks plus
    • I've ordered but don't have a VIN yet
    • I have a VIN but don't have a delivery date

This poll is tracking how long it's taking for people to get their ordered MMH/FEHs from the date they ordered it to the date it is estimated for delivery line.

Many thanks for posting this topic / poll. I'll be watching it every day as I wait for info on my order :-) :-(

For me, I'm stuck in the majority where I have placed and order, but no vin yet. I have an order confirmation number, but kinda had to beg to get that info from the dealer. Me thinks ford needs to have an information booklet or something to give folks that place orders for vehicles. Maybe for folks that always order their vehicles, the process is the norm, but for me, being a first time order person, the lack of good information and updates is frustrating. How hard would it be to come up with an info sheet that says, this is what happens when you place and order, and these are the updates that you will get on this process.

Many thanks for posting this topic / poll. I'll be watching it every day as I wait for info on my order :-) :-(

For me, I'm stuck in the majority where I have placed and order, but no vin yet. I have an order confirmation number, but kinda had to beg to get that info from the dealer. Me thinks ford needs to have an information booklet or something to give folks that place orders for vehicles. Maybe for folks that always order their vehicles, the process is the norm, but for me, being a first time order person, the lack of good information and updates is frustrating. How hard would it be to come up with an info sheet that says, this is what happens when you place and order, and these are the updates that you will get on this process.

Yeah, that would be nice, but remember Ford is only producing 25,000 of these a year. It appears at most posters waited 7 weeks to get a VIN, and then another 5+ weeks to get the vehicle. There are a few posts for people tracking FEH's, search the order tracking forum for "1FMCU493*" This will give you FEH FWDs. There are 3 in there with status, 2 with sequence date (scheduled into a specific week for being built) and 1 with a segment date (scheduled in order for a specific day within that week for build). Basically 3 are being built now for customers.

My recommendation to you is to call your dealer and ask what day of the week Ford "pulls" orders (Ford pulls from my dealer on Thursday). Then call your dealer each week and check status. Once Ford pulls your order they create a VIN. The other thing to find out when your dealer is meeting with Ford (or their wholesaler) that gets inventory for the dealer. They will request any special orders from Ford (or their wholesaler) at that time. My dealer is meeting with Ford the week of July 7th and I hope that they accept my order at that time.

One other thing. Unfortunately for those (like me) that ordered in June, the assembly plant (KCAP) goes on vacation the last two weeks of July. If you ordered in June, then it's likely that you'll be produced in August (June + 7 weeks = late July, vacation). So our order times will likely be 2-3 weeks longer due to this idle time.

Finally, I called a dealer in CA to see when they are starting to get inventory (since 5,000 Escapes are targeted for the CA market). They said they expect to be receiving inventory in late July. This makes sense based on the people's vehicle locator requests that are scheduled for build now.

Hope all that helps.

Edited by jgATL

Yeah, that would be nice, but remember Ford is only producing 25,000 of these a year. It appears at most posters waited 7 weeks to get a VIN, and then another 5+ weeks to get the vehicle. There are a few posts for people tracking FEH's, search the order tracking forum for "1FMCU493*" This will give you FEH FWDs. There are 3 in there with status, 2 with sequence date (scheduled into a specific week for being built) and 1 with a segment date (scheduled in order for a specific day within that week for build). Basically 3 are being built now for customers.

My recommendation to you is to call your dealer and ask what day of the week Ford "pulls" orders (Ford pulls from my dealer on Thursday). Then call your dealer each week and check status. Once Ford pulls your order they create a VIN. The other thing to find out when your dealer is meeting with Ford (or their wholesaler) that gets inventory for the dealer. They will request any special orders from Ford (or their wholesaler) at that time. My dealer is meeting with Ford the week of July 7th and I hope that they accept my order at that time.

One other thing. Unfortunately for those (like me) that ordered in June, the assembly plant (KCAP) goes on vacation the last two weeks of July. If you ordered in June, then it's likely that you'll be produced in August (June + 7 weeks = late July, vacation). So our order times will likely be 2-3 weeks longer due to this idle time.

Finally, I called a dealer in CA to see when they are starting to get inventory (since 5,000 Escapes are targeted for the CA market). They said they expect to be receiving inventory in late July. This makes sense based on the people's vehicle locator requests that are scheduled for build now.

Hope all that helps.

Yup, that does help JG, thanks. I also got a followup email from the Sales Manager at the dealership this am asking if things were going ok, and if I had any comments / questions / etc, to get in touch with him. I will do that. As I said in my reply email to him, i'm sure everything is fine, and I'm not looking to get anyone in any kind of trouble or anything. It just seems harder than it should be to get info on these (my) orders. I was not aware there even was the tracking forum you pointed out, so that is HUGE to me. Many thanks for that. I'm certainly not out to cause pain for anyone, but information exchange between the dealership and me seems tough at this point. I'm sure this will all work out. I've been a ford person since my first new car back in the 80's so I have faith.

thanks

cab

Hope all that helps.

My dealer informed me that the KC Plant closed the first two weeks of July and that my schedule build date was 7/14. Are you sure it is the last 2 weeks? The first two weeks includes the 4th so that's why I believed him.

My dealer informed me that the KC Plant closed the first two weeks of July and that my schedule build date was 7/14. Are you sure it is the last 2 weeks? The first two weeks includes the 4th so that's why I believed him.

Well, I even got my own stats wrong. Actually it's July 28-Aug 11. Maybe better for those that ordered in June.

All Ford plants but KCAP (where the Escape is produced) shut down the first 2 weeks of July. KCAP is the only plant that differs.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...st&p=363775

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...st&p=365676

Here's a confirmation from the local UAW:

The Company has officially confirmed that KCAP will shut down for vacation this year beginning Monday, July, 28 for 2 weeks. Production will resume on Monday, August 11, 2008.

Are MMH still easier/faster to get than the FEH?

That all depends on who's ordering and what dealers have ordered. One of the members on this forum told me that it's all about the product mix on the line. So if everyone is ordering FEH's and no one is ordering the MMH, it's possible that you could get one faster. I would tend to say no, beause FoMoCo is only produced 3,700 MMHs last year vs 21,000 FEHs (which would match with the reported "25,000" unit volume. See this topic for 2008 series sales volume.

For me it was easy. I was ambivalent to the styling on either and strictly made my choice on the paint color (Black Pearl Slate) since it wasn't available on the MMH. I thought the numbers produced for the FEH would make it a better play for wait time since 8 out of every 10 hybrids is a FEH.

I've read on this forum that Ford has the capability to produce 180,000 Escapes, and that in June they sold 19,000 escapes (all models I believe). So that roughly means that 1 out of every 10 escapes produced is a hybrid (or 13 out of every 100). One of the KCAP employees has verified a 1:10 number although the shift being added as of Aug 11 will boost production of all escapes. Since volume is limited on the FEH/MMH, I believe that just means they'll increase the ratio (maybe 1:12 now?). My hope is that they increase the output on the FEH/MMH.

This poll is tracking how long it's taking for people to get their ordered MMH/FEHs from the date they ordered it to the date it is estimated for delivery line.

I'm still frustrated that they've postponed fleet orders till the fall. My company had 3 09' FEH's Limited on order right now thru Donlen and there's not much we can do but wait. They won't give us any indication as to when we may actually see these in production. We ordered them back in April on the 17th when they began accepting 09 FEH orders.

My 04 Expedition was totalled almost two months ago (while parked!) and I'm anxiously awaiting my new 09 FEH.

I ordered a fully equipped 2009 FEHL on April 20 and don't have a VIN. The dealer says the order shows as "clean but unscheduled". Not a complaint. Just a statement of fact for others to use and compare. Order details: U59/750A/WS + 60N + 187. This is the first Ford vehicle I've ever ordered (driving since 1970).

Edited by fmorriso

I ordered a fully equipped 2009 FEHL on April 20 and don't have a VIN. The dealer says the order shows as "clean but unscheduled". Not a complaint. Just a statement of fact for others to use and compare. Order details: U59/750A/WS + 60N + 187. This is the first Ford vehicle I've ever ordered (driving since 1970).

This is the second FEH I have ordered and the First FEHL limited. Back in 2004 I had a FEH and had to get rid of it after it was hit hard by a work truck and the battery was damaged. At that time the battery replacement costs so much that it made since to trade it in and get another vehicle. Plus Ford had there employee pricing available to the public so I ended up getting a great deal on an 05 Ford Five Hundred. Now I anxiously waiting for my 09 FEH Limited 4WD. Any way without the VIN to find out delivery information? My dealer still does not have a VIN number for it. The vehicle was ordered on 5/17/08.

This is the second FEH I have ordered and the First FEHL limited. Back in 2004 I had a FEH and had to get rid of it after it was hit hard by a work truck and the battery was damaged. At that time the battery replacement costs so much that it made since to trade it in and get another vehicle. Plus Ford had there employee pricing available to the public so I ended up getting a great deal on an 05 Ford Five Hundred. Now I anxiously waiting for my 09 FEH Limited 4WD. Any way without the VIN to find out delivery information? My dealer still does not have a VIN number for it. The vehicle was ordered on 5/17/08.

The other comments i have seen in this thread just make me more sure that what I said in the 2nd post of this thread is more correct and on the mark. I think Ford could save themselves, and the Dealers, a lot of grief if they would just create some kind of an information sheet on how this process works, and what will happen when. If those of us that have never ordered a car before, had this kind of information to reveiw and look back at over time, we would know what to expect and when. I love ford, and have been brand loyal since my first new car, but I think this process is slightly broken at least as far as passing out information to the buyer.

Just my .02.

The other comments i have seen in this thread just make me more sure that what I said in the 2nd post of this thread is more correct and on the mark. I think Ford could save themselves, and the Dealers, a lot of grief if they would just create some kind of an information sheet on how this process works, and what will happen when. If those of us that have never ordered a car before, had this kind of information to reveiw and look back at over time, we would know what to expect and when. I love ford, and have been brand loyal since my first new car, but I think this process is slightly broken at least as far as passing out information to the buyer.

Just my .02.

I agree. Why can't they give you like an order number or something when you place the order and then create a system where you can track that number all the way to delivery. There has to be a way to improve the process.

I agree. Why can't they give you like an order number or something when you place the order and then create a system where you can track that number all the way to delivery. There has to be a way to improve the process.

I should clarify that while this is the first Ford I've ordered, I'm no stranger when it comes to ordering cars. All but one of my last 6 cars were custom ordered (all GM Saturns). The time from order placement to delivery was so short that I never thought to ask about how long it would take. It never took more than 8 weeks total, usually less. Back in 1991 when I ordered my first fully loaded 1992 Saturn SL2, every Saturn was made in Spring Hill, TN. Today, if I understand correctly, all FEH/MMH/MTH are built in a single plant located in Claycomo, MO (Kansas City, MO is nearby).

I do agree with the overall sentiment that Ford needs a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool that provides online, secure access to order information. I can see where there would be pressure to not make it possible to order directly (dealers would freak if you could completely bypass them), but a one-way portal "view-only" window into the vehicle production process once an order has been placed isn't too much to ask for, is it? Or would such a system expose any dealer "gamesmanship" with customer orders that we're not supposed to know about? OK, time to swerve back onto the main road from the conspiracy theory ditch I almost drove into.

Edited by fmorriso

Ordered 5/12

Line build date 7/11 (confirmed) I already have the window sticker

Unit is a fully loaded (except 4wd) FEH Limited

My dealer is in Phoenix Az

Wityh any luck I will see the vehicle the lst week of August

Ordered 5/12

Line build date 7/11 (confirmed) I already have the window sticker

Unit is a fully loaded (except 4wd) FEH Limited

My dealer is in Phoenix Az

Wityh any luck I will see the vehicle the lst week of August

Ordered 5-12-08, same day as mrch.

No VIN, no anything, dealer is in Toledo Ohio, largest store between Detroit Mi and Columbus Ohio.

My dealer emailed me today to say my order for a fully loaded FEHL that I placed on April 21 was entered into the system as a "Type 1, Priority 10". The only change has been from Priority 10 to Priority 12. I'm betting nothing happens until the new third shift starts at the assembly plant on August 11.

Anybody have any good ideas on how to "celebrate"(?) the upcoming three month "anniversary" of when I placed my order? Try to be more creative than just the usual "consume lots of adult beverages". :doh:

My dealer emailed me today to say my order for a fully loaded FEHL that I placed on April 21 was entered into the system as a "Type 1, Priority 10". The only change has been from Priority 10 to Priority 12. I'm betting nothing happens until the new third shift starts at the assembly plant on August 11.

Anybody have any good ideas on how to "celebrate"(?) the upcoming three month "anniversary" of when I placed my order? Try to be more creative than just the usual "consume lots of adult beverages". :doh:

Actually got feedback from sales manager yesterday (Thursday), he read me an email sent to him concerning mine and another Hybrid that was ordered thru him back in May, and also read me a mass email that seems as though it was sent out to all stores nationwide.

The way it reads is that May order's will be built in August, with a Sept/Oct promised delivery, so they gave themselves quite a bit of wiggle room on the promise date, we all know it only takes about 7 days on a finish build to arrival at dealership.

The mass email also addressed asking the stores to be up front with customers, one thing that sticks in my mind that he read to me was that orders placed in July will not be filled until the January 09 timeframe.

Mass email also went on about how orders would be filled in order of receipt, etc..., on and on jargin.

This in contrarian to what I am seeing based on recent posting on this website.

West Coast orders placed in Mid-June are already being scheduled and built in July for receipt in August.

Concerning shutdown, it is the week of July 28th and the first week of August, returning August 11th. Yes, a 3rd shift is being added and that shift will start slow, probably 1/2 volume for first month, but thats still better than no volume for 6 hours a day.

ViperPilot made it back to the Plant and gave us updates on our VIN numbers. This was my first request and it looks like I made it to the blend date and have my window sticker now. According to the sticker my unit will be built 7/16. It looks like Ford shows my receive date as 4/29, but I got my first order confirmation without my name 4/22. I did get a order confirmation on 4/29 that did have my name on it at that time. My order was given a Priority 14 then also.

Hopefully it will be build and shipped by the time the plant closes for vacation on 7/28. Anyone have any ideas?

ViperPilot made it back to the Plant and gave us updates on our VIN numbers. This was my first request and it looks like I made it to the blend date and have my window sticker now. According to the sticker my unit will be built 7/16. It looks like Ford shows my receive date as 4/29, but I got my first order confirmation without my name 4/22. I did get a order confirmation on 4/29 that did have my name on it at that time. My order was given a Priority 14 then also.

Hopefully it will be build and shipped by the time the plant closes for vacation on 7/28. Anyone have any ideas?

Gary, I believe they make every attempt to clear the plant when going on shut down and leave as little inventory around as possible. In additon, I further understand that the shipping crews and the plant crews are not the same nor tied to the same schedule so I would bet your vehicle will be shipped by shut down. Good luck!

I agree with GL, if its built they will get it out, its a built asset that they want paid for ASAP, also, they don't like inventory laying around for no good reason.

No one likes to admit it, but when outside contractors come in during shutdowns alot of theft goes on.

One way to prevent Murphy's Law from happening is to get the unit off site.

We actually cover all partially built units with plastic to keep 2 weeks worth of grime from having a chance to sit on finished paint or your interior. Something as simple as the overhead conveyor dripping oil on your paint job.

Usually during a shutdown upgrades and rehab of the complex are going on, cutting concrete, painting, deep clean and the like increase chances for your vehicle getting dirty while still in build process.